Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times

Advertisements

I respect and admire Carter and GWH Bush and Bill Clinton and GW Bush, and I appreciate their service to our country.

At the same time, I'm not happy that we're still providing 24/7 Secret Service protection for them and their wives. That's a lot of man-hours that imo should be focused on our current President.

Quote:
The Secret Service does not divulge the costs of its protective details, but it's believed to be in the range of tens of millions of dollars a year for each former president.
source: http://www.cbsnews.com/
The article headline states "Obama restores lifetime Secret Service protection" but in fact the bill was near-unanimously supported by both parties.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Happy Birthday to Jimmy Carter, an incredibly intelligent and great man. What he stands for, not a Republican alive can touch.

We're fortunate he's still around. I sure would like to see more of him.
I love this man. I am neither a Democrat or a Republican but he gets it.
Happy Birthday President Jimmy Carter

Here's his interview with David Letterman - it shows his spirit well. His book is amazing.

President Jimmy Carter - Letterman - 24 03 2014 - Sub Ita (Rai5) - YouTube

Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Congrats on long life

Old 10-02-2014, 06:16 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Carter was an example of an otherwise intelligent man (trained as a nuclear engineer) who proved to be out of his depth as POTUS. We've had several of those. I have thought for some time that the voters need a better basis on which to evaluate presidential candidates. The process we have right now doesn't work very well.

Carter has the highest IQ of any POTUS in the 20th century. He was just in over his head (gee.......... kind of like Obama) and had bad people around him (also like Obama).

Unlike Obama, Carter was intelligent and actually was concerned about the US.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:33 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
I seriously believe that Carter just didn't get a fair chance as President, same with HW Bush in some respects as well. He inherited an absolute mess from the previous three Administrations. The country was definitely in a malaise and he made the mistake of speaking to the American public like adults. We didn't want to hear that we should turn the thermostat down, stop using so much oil, and tighten our belts. His biggest misstep was continuing to mess around with Iran, but in hindsight he was right about a lot of things. Heck, he's also the man who hired Paul Volker to run the Federal Reserve but yet Reagan gets the credit for turning around the high inflation of the era.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Allahu Akbar

Old 10-02-2014, 10:56 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Default President Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Didn't realize that George Bush was already 90 a few months ago.
Happy Birthday, Mr.. Carter.

We as American respect your service to the country. Politics aside .

May your wisdom of years be a benefit to all.

Thank You and Have a Great Happy Birthday!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Many Presidents have had odd occurrences happen during their terms, but Carter had the strangest of all.

Does anyone remember the crazed rabbit that went swimming out to his fishing boat while he was out fishing in a river and tried to attack everyone in the boat? That has to be the weirdest ever.

I can't remember exactly what happened, but I think the secret service agents beat the rabbit off with oars and he went swimming back the way he came.
A UFO flew over his head as well. I think they were looking for a new peanut source to power their craft.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I love this man. I am neither a Democrat or a Republican but he gets it
He was the one who claimed we were running out of Natural Gas and needed to charge head on with coal and nuclear powered plants.

People who have a totalitarian "I know better than you" ideology tend to end up with their feet planted firmly in their mouths.

I thought it was hilarious that yesterday all the numbers came out on Obama's last 6 years.

- poverty is up 0.02%
- participation rate is down 3.2% (a 36 year low, ironically during the Carter years)
- the dollar has lost 9% of its value
- Up to 4M medium to high paying jobs have been exchanged for low paying jobs

The White House responds "The President could have done more if the Dems controlled the house"

That's like saying "we could have made it far worse if we still controlled the government"

Thank GOD he, Reid, and Pelosi have been stopped from "doing more"

Thank GOD Reagan was ushered in and Carter wasn't given four more years to completely SNAFU the country anymore then he had.

If you didn't live through his administration, as a working adult, you have no clue.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Many Presidents have had odd occurrences happen during their terms, but Carter had the strangest of all.

Does anyone remember the crazed rabbit that went swimming out to his fishing boat while he was out fishing in a river and tried to attack everyone in the boat? That has to be the weirdest ever.

I can't remember exactly what happened, but I think the secret service agents beat the rabbit off with oars and he went swimming back the way he came.
I had forgotten all about the bad assed rabbit deal...I was just a kid when that happened and got a big laugh out of it...come to find out it was blown completely up by the press(like all things in the media)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy...abbit_incident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies