Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

Why shouldn't she sue? They didn't give her what she ordered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:06 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Interesting conundrum here. On the one hand, the sperm bank manifestly f***d up, should they not be required to do something besides apologize?

On the other hand, so what if she didn't get what she "ordered"? What parent does?
Knocking one out the old fashioned way and picking sperm out of a book based on desired traits are two different things.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:07 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Well, she might have a case for a lawsuit, but I don't see why she would pursue it. After all, the child is her's. She's virtually neglecting her daughter. Get over it, and be a mother.
Suing someone for what appears to be a breach of contract has nothing to do with being a mother.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:08 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
^Issues with raising a biracial child wouldn't really come up until he/she reaches school (most likely middle school).

If the statute of limitations hasn't passed, the couple has every right to sue. TBH fairly honest, I'm not sure what I'd do if I was put in the same situation. The couple were probably confused, distressed, and perhaps even angry after the birth; however, its probably in the best interest of the child that she never finds out about this lawsuit.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,125,463 times
should have just had a child with her partner... oh wait

Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This is absurd.
Only to you.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:13 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Interesting conundrum here. On the one hand, the sperm bank manifestly f***d up, should they not be required to do something besides apologize?

On the other hand, so what if she didn't get what she "ordered"? What parent does?
I don't see the conundrum. There is no "on the other hand" here. There is no such thing as "so what if she didn't get what she ordered". It's a business contract. Contracts are binding. There's no "so what" about it.

I mean seriously. You walk into a restaurant and order a meal. They bring out a completely different meal. That's "so what if you didn't get what you ordered?" If you order a new car and they deliver a completely different model is that "so what"?

The only thing that makes it a conundrum here is political correctness. Since the baby is half black, you open yourself up to charges of racism if you don't happily accept it. I mean not you personally, just "you" in general.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
should have just had a child with her partner... oh wait
What? You think sperm banks serve same-sex couples exclusively? I think you are seriously out of touch with modern reality.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't see the conundrum. There is no "on the other hand" here. There is no such thing as "so what if she didn't get what she ordered". It's a business contract. Contracts are binding. There's no "so what" about it.

I mean seriously. You walk into a restaurant and order a meal. They bring out a completely different meal. That's "so what if you didn't get what you ordered?" If you order a new car and they deliver a completely different model is that "so what"?

The only thing that makes it a conundrum here is political correctness. Since the baby is half black, you open yourself up to charges of racism if you don't happily accept it. I mean not you personally, just "you" in general.
yeah... sorta like you order a fish fillet with mayo and they bring you chicken and grits

Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Looks like they are calling it wrongful birth and breach of warranty.

Breach of Warranty Law & Legal Definition

Wrongful Birth legal definition of Wrongful Birth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies