Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Obama finally stop flights between US and Liberia, etc during the Ebola outbreak?
Yes, Stop the flights, Obama should admit he was wrong 54 93.10%
No, Obama was falsely confident that Ebola wouldn't get here, but he is also confident that we can handle Ebola here 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,270 times

Advertisements

I think it would be politically wise to stop flights to impacted areas.

And yes, he can do that easily but chooses not to. I think it would help alleviate fears in the states and keep people out of the ER for the sniffles because they think they have ebola. The media hysteria is going to blow this out of proportion within a month and it's very obvious how bad that would be for our medical community.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
I believe that the Ebola patient flew from Africa to Europe, and then to the US. How would banning flights from Africa to the US have stopped the current situation?

Are you proposing that the world quarantine Africa?
Now that's one of the best ideas I've heard in awhile.

I'm sorry, but a third-world hellhole isn't worth American lives, especially with what some of the patients are doing to workers. Killing them? Attacking them?

Forget that!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:02 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Wouldn't he require a visa to enter the US? If so, why not suspend visas to people from those countries. Sure, it wouldn't stop everyone, but it would have stopped this guy.
How about US Citizens? Lock them out?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
I think it would be politically wise to stop flights to impacted areas.

And yes, he can do that easily but chooses not to.
So, if a US president says no one can fly to or from a certain country, then you think every airline in the world has to obey? You really believe that?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 AM

187 posts, read 195,094 times
I'm rational, I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination but you are going to see anyone within the Ebola infected countries of Africa attempt to travel to 1st world nations if they believe they could have contracted the Ebola virus like what I and others believe Duncan has done in order to attempt to receive healthcare.

This is why we need to halt ALL TRAVEL to and from these areas for the foreseeable future.

If we do not do this immediately we could see a very scary situation on our hands in very short period of time.

The UK has already done so.

It's the rational and the right thing to do for our citizens.

We are taking about the vectoring of an extremely deadly virus, debating between a choice of life versus profit is quite comical and quite sad concerning this particular situation.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
it wont be long the vaccine will be available and the profiteers will make billions and you will be safe

Old 10-02-2014, 08:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How about US Citizens? Lock them out?
Read my post again.

Quote:
Wouldn't he require a visa to enter the US? If so, why not suspend visas to people from those countries. Sure, it wouldn't stop everyone, but it would have stopped this guy.
The main thing is to REDUCE risk, and stopping non-US citizens from these countries would reduce the risk.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Read my post again.

The main thing is to REDUCE risk, and stopping non-US citizens from these countries would reduce the risk.
Why do you think US Citizens can't carry the virus? Besides, since you can't find a flight from these countries to US, so it is a moot point.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:41 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
it wont be long the vaccine will be available and the profiteers will make billions and you will be safe
the vaccines are only in experimental stages. human trials are new.
there is no guarantee of success, what kind of success, or timeline
for availability.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
I believe that the Ebola patient flew from Africa to Europe, and then to the US. How would banning flights from Africa to the US have stopped the current situation?

Are you proposing that the world quarantine Africa?
There are just a few highly affected countries.
Africa is a continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Now, cancelling Visas from Liberia and the other 'hot spot' countries would be more appropriate.
Yes, it would. Rather surprised we haven't yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies