Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:35 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I think weltschmerz is talking abut Canada. She's another Canadian who looks down her nose at the US, while injecting her views on how we should be living.

Nevermind that Canadians come here for life saving surgery. Also, what always seems to be ignored is that in Canada you still have to pay for coverage above the basic free (same as Medicaid) coverage. There was a special about how Canadian Vets are better at animal care than their doctors are at human care. For the basic preventative care I'm sure Canada is awesome, but for serious issues... log waits to be approved and a shortage of care are the norm.

Just wait until you get REALLY sick weltschmerz
Perhaps you should do some research before spouting off. The extra coverage some of us pay for is for eyeglasses, ambulances and private rooms. Things like that.
I HAVE been really sick. I wouldn't dream of going south for care. The care here is excellent.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Most of us do have jobs. Furthermore, they still pay sales taxes, GST, buy gas, etc. Everyone pays in one way or another.
If they don't have a job or no income, how are they buying things to pay the taxes?

Additionally, what do you think are the actual costs for healthcare per person and do the taxes paid by the "poor" and allotted to healthcare covering that amount? If I'm paying $300 per year in taxes and using $750 a year in care, am I actually paying for it. It wouldn't appear that I would. I'd be paying for some of it while somebody else is picking up the rest of the tab.

So, it would appear that not everyone is paying for it.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I wouldn't dream of going south for care.
Thank you. We're going to hold you to that.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
How did it get passed if the GOP did not vote for it?
Parliamentary tricks, such as the actual law being a patchwork of separate House and Senate bills that got cobbled together after the fact, plus some bribes to a couple waffling Senators. And recall, when it was passed, the HOuse was Dem majority, the Senate was filibuster proof em majority, and the White House was Dem.

That's how you pass a law without any Republican votes.

History might be inconvenient to your narrative, but there's no changing it now.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:39 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
How did it get passed if the GOP did not vote for it?
In a word: Illegally.

The bill the House passed with a 219 Democrat majority, and every Republican voting against the bill, never became law. Instead, the Senate completely rewrote the bill and passed it with 60 Democrat votes and zero Republican votes.

Instead of the bill being returned to the House for another vote, as it should have been, the Democrats decided to illegally use the reconciliation process (which is reserved only for appropriation bills) so that another vote in the House would not be required.

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Thank you. We're going to hold you to that.
By all means, go ahead.
Less than one tenth of one percent of Canadians are "flocking to the US for healthcare".

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I think weltschmerz is talking abut Canada. She's another Canadian who looks down her nose at the US, while injecting her views on how we should be living.

Nevermind that Canadians come here for life saving surgery. Also, what always seems to be ignored is that in Canada you still have to pay for coverage above the basic free (same as Medicaid) coverage. There was a special about how Canadian Vets are better at animal care than their doctors are at human care. For the basic preventative care I'm sure Canada is awesome, but for serious issues... log waits to be approved and a shortage of care are the norm.

Just wait until you get REALLY sick weltschmerz
Your first paragraph--
you nailed it
Post of the day, thank you

Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how those on the political right have no sense of morality or empathy for their fellow citizens. Putting these people in power is like hiring Jack the Ripper as a social worker.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/us...ml?src=me&_r=0

This stands out:

'The ruling, if ultimately upheld, could cut off financial assistance for more than 4.5 million people who were found eligible for subsidized insurance in the federal exchange, or marketplace.'

It seems it would be best if these people do in fact have their own country, where their devotion to selfishness can find full expression. I sure don't want them in the USA.
The judge ruled that the law as written does not support what the administration is doing. The judge didn't say this isn't wrong per se.

Congress needs to pass better laws. If you want the feds to do this - then the law should be written to support it. The White House cannot just take a law it supported, and implement it in a way contrary to what it says.

It is no wonder that we continue to see that implementation of ACA is challenged. It seems possible that much of Congress had no idea what the law actually said. The Speaker of the House at the time sure didn't.

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
In a word: Illegally.

The bill the House passed with a 219 Democrat majority, and every Republican voting against the bill, never became law. Instead, the Senate completely rewrote the bill and passed it with 60 Democrat votes and zero Republican votes.

Instead of the bill being returned to the House for another vote, as it should have been, the Democrats decided to illegally use the reconciliation process (which is reserved only for appropriation bills) so that another vote in the House would not be required.
Yep. Parliamentary tricks. Glad I am not the only one who recalls how this abomination became the Suggestion of the Land (laws are followed, and since Obama himself blows off the ACA, it's more of a suggestion than a law).

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
This will absolutely wind up before the Supreme Court, because the authors of the ACA legislation say this decision is based on a misreading of the Act. They did not mean to exclude people who lived in states that chose not to cooperate.
The good news is that the ObamaCare monstrosity will most likely be repealed before the Supreme Court hears the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies