Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
They're certainly good at being liberal in Vermont. Why? Because it rates very high in various criteria for standard of living. For instance, Vermont is ranked as no. 1 as healthiest state in the union as well as the most livable state. In most other measures that rank the standard of living Vermont is a top 5 or top 10 state. But in return for enjoying a better place to live than in most other states, Vermont residents have to pay higher taxes than they do in most other states. . . As a liberal, I would rather my state pay somewhat higher taxes and get a higher standard of living in return for it.
Well maybe as a liberal you should move to Vermont and help with the tax base! Because people are moving out in droves because they can't afford to live there. I believe the state of Vermont is #1 in most second homes. There are many out of staters (New York) who have second homes there and are paying a lot for all your liberal services.

Also, there is a huge discrepancy difference between the haves and have-nots in Vermont. Many native Vermonters do not have an education and are forced to make a living based on tourism and the like. . . for instance snow removal, and working at ski areas. Vermont is also big into shipping people in from all over to fill these jobs.

The middle class is being taxed to the hilt. If you question this please go to the Vermont forum and take a read. There are many forum members who have shared their story regarding their inability to stay there. Many people move there for the beauty and quality of life and realize they can't make it. Liberal ideas are sometimes nice but unfortunately they don't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I love Vermont, the land, the mountains, however there are areas that are overrun with wacko liberals.
I love wacko liberals. They provide such a nice counterbalance to the wacko conservatives.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,748 times
Those folks are nuts. Wasn't it someone in Vermont that wanted to become it's own country?

Old 12-29-2007, 04:55 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,462 times
LOL!
Typical delusional leftist tantrum.
Remember- these are the same people who think "protesting" is a viable means to effect change.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:06 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Those folks are nuts. Wasn't it someone in Vermont that wanted to become it's own country?
Yes critter, and don't forget another one of Vermont's claim to fame is the man who decided he was going to walk from Boston to the Capitol to encourage Nancy Pelosi to start the impeachment process on President Bush.

I never did quite hear how this turned out. I know the day he left Boston they were expecting a major noreaster. . . I wonder if he is still out there somewhere. . .

Old 12-29-2007, 05:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Our Vermont Walker is doing quite well. He arrived in NYC, and got some publicity here at the Village Voice.

And I rarely agree with Spunky1, but I must say she described some of the problems with Vermont very accurately--beautiful, beautiful, very expensive, and harder for the regular folks to make it work or keep it working.

But, if I had a tad more money I'd be sitting in my studio looking at the cold Moose trotting toward the pond, and dreaming of maple syrup season.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:33 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Well maybe as a liberal you should move to Vermont and help with the tax base! Because people are moving out in droves because they can't afford to live there.
Population of Vermont:
1950 -- 378K
1960 -- 390K
1970 -- 444K
1980 -- 511K
1990 -- 563K
2000 -- 609K
2005 -- 623K

The average Vermonter spends less than 20% of his or her gross income on housing, placing Vermont in the top third of all states in terms of housing affordability.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:38 PM

Well, saganista, these figures may be true for Vermont overall, but in the Brattleboro area, housing probably represents between 20-50% of people's gross income.

And while the increase in population is undoubtedly correct, the increase is often those escaping to rather than integrating.

And how do I know: I lived there! And I have a sufficient number of friends and family who live in the Brattleboro--Woodstock area to trust my numbers.

And my figures are not out-of-date, I left reluctantly, with tears in my eyes, just three and a half months ago.

Last edited by ontheroad; 12-29-2007 at 05:48 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 06:02 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, saganista, these figures may be true for Vermont overall, but in the Brattleboro area, housing probably represents between 20-50% of people's gross income.
Quite possibly so. Just trying to provide some context behind earlier claims. You can, after all, go to any of the state C-D forums and find folks complaining about how their state is just the pits, and how they can't wait to move to one of these other states whose current residents claim that that place is just the pits. Vermont does have the highest combined state and local tax burden in the country, so that part was fair enough, but as for people leaving Vermont in droves because of all the liberals are making it impossible to live there, well, that part not so much...

Old 12-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Actually, in the communities I am familiar with there is a mix of liberals, moderates and conservatives. I lived in a little town about 7miles south of Brattleboro, farm country, and die-in-the-wool Vermonters--all terrific folk, and well adjusted. None of them are going anywhere, but boy do they struggle. We had to give our grass for hay to one local neighbour and farmer so he could make do. And next year it, the grass, hay, will be worth more as we didn't use any pesticides and he can get more for it. Money is tight and not only are taxes high, daily expenses are high, too. Brattleboro and Guilford, where I lived, is just a short distance from Western Massachusetts, and we paid more for most of our goods and services than they do.

Many of the regular folks have two, three jobs to make do and there is some tension between them and the newer residents, not because of politics, but because of the newer residents seeming affluence. Not unique, but a fact.

Leaving in droves, no. Some leaving, like other states, yes.

And while Vermont is painted in negative terms in threads like this, Vermont is as balanced politically as other New England states. And as I also lived in the Netherlands, I know how a town or country can take on a persona...or identity that is overblown, exaggerated or misunderstood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Quite possibly so. Just trying to provide some context behind earlier claims. You can, after all, go to any of the state C-D forums and find folks complaining about how their state is just the pits, and how they can't wait to move to one of these other states whose current residents claim that that place is just the pits. Vermont does have the highest combined state and local tax burden in the country, so that part was fair enough, but as for people leaving Vermont in droves because of all the liberals there, well, that part not so much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies