Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:02 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,402,853 times

Advertisements

MONTPELIER, Vt. — President Bush may soon have a new reason to avoid left-leaning Vermont: In one town, activists want him subject to arrest for war crimes.

A group in Brattleboro is petitioning to put an item on a town meeting agenda in March that would make Bush and Vice President Cheney subject to arrest and indictment if they visit the southeastern Vermont community.

"This petition is as radical as the Declaration of Independence, and it draws on that tradition in claiming a universal jurisdiction when governments fail to do what they're supposed to do," said Kurt Daims, 54, a retired machinist leading the drive.

As president, Bush has visited every state except Vermont.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318870,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 12:18 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,487,738 times
The time has passed when it was possible to get rid of Bush for his war crimes. That time was his reelection in 2004, in which he won and that time taking the popular vote as well. If Americans absolutely refuse to hold their elected representatives accountable for their actions by NOT voting them out, then they must bear the consequences for refusing to do so.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:28 AM

2,434 posts, read 6,659,957 times
It would never happen. If it did it the indictment would have to come from the Hague. Even then the secret service would never let anyone get close enough to him to actually arrest him.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:55 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,334,795 times
I am beginning to like Vermont more and more.

Of course it won't happen but at least it sends a message.

Its our responsibility to stand up and call it what it is.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,244,608 times
What a joke! The citizens of the People's Republic of Brattleboro need to take a chill pill, or move to The Netherlands.

What is the point really? To garner attention? First they come up with their ill-fated impeachment plan, and now this.

Since Vt. is the only state that Pres. Bush has not visited during his time in office I believe he is making a statement of his own.

I would love to see someone actually try and arrest him. If I were him I would schedule an impromptu visit! I would love to see the stunned look on the officer making the arrest when the Secret Service take them down.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:27 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,334,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
What a joke! The citizens of the People's Republic of Brattleboro need to take a chill pill, or move to The Netherlands.

What is the point really? To garner attention? First they come up with their ill-fated impeachment plan, and now this.

Since Vt. is the only state that Pres. Bush has not visited during his time in office I believe he is making a statement of his own.

I would love to see someone actually try and arrest him. If I were him I would schedule an impromptu visit! I would love to see the stunned look on the officer making the arrest when the Secret Service take them down.
Your completely missing the point of their actions, is that on purpose?

Old 12-29-2007, 05:56 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,244,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Your completely missing the point of their actions, is that on purpose?
No Lindsey Mcfarren I did not miss the point.

My point being that these half-baked attempts at "sending a message" are nothing more than that!

Keep in mind that I lived in the People's Republic of Vermont for a time; therefore I know of what I speak.

I love Vermont, the land, the mountains, however there are areas that are overrun with wacko liberals.

One message it sends is that the government has nothing better to do than waste it's tax-payers money with these lame attempts to garner attention. And if you understand anything about Vermont's taxation issues you would get the point!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:49 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,376,578 times
Well, I think most town councils could find something to censure Bush for...war crimes, fraud, abuse, gross financial mismanagement. The list goes on. And it would be a sad thing if historians were able to look back on the eight-year administration of the worst President in US history and not find places where people were willing to stand up and put their disapproval on the record. That wouldn't say very much about Americans. So, I'll give a tip o' the hat to Brattleboro and encourage more towns and cities to follow suit in the coming year. Let's not have the scholars of the future looking back and thinking we were actually all okay with all of this...

Old 12-29-2007, 07:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,394,018 times
Good for Vermont! My new favorite state! Although nothing will happen, at least they are taking a defiant stance against an evil empire, much like the way our forefathers acted towards England.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:31 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,964,576 times
The Connecticut river valley, starting in Connecticut at the rivers mouth on Long Island sound, north to Middletown (home to very liberal Wesleyan Univ.), to Hartford (Trinity College, Univ of Hartford), then into Massachusetts at Springfield, then north into the 'Pioneer Valley; and the very radical Northampton (Smith College) into Vermont is perhaps the most anti Bush and 'Blue' Liberal part of the country.

Brattleboro is an iconic bohemian liberal community- this does not surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies