Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UN use a virus to control the population?
Yes, of course. 9 12.50%
Maybe, wouldn't put it past them. 32 44.44%
No, I trust the UN. 1 1.39%
If you believe this you are a conspiracy theorist. 30 41.67%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
we don't need a virus to control population. We already have Islam doing that.
And gangbangers, and automobiles, and several illnesses related to being obese, not to mention the flu which takes out several Hundred Thousand a year. I understand some peoples distrust of the UN, but come on if you actually believe they doing anything claimed here then you just might be a Crackpot yourself.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:35 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
The non-thinkers that have commented here, that haven't even really researched into any of it. I bet you all believe in global warming, and climate change, don't you. Here is the the thing about that, it makes YOU a conspiracy theorist, when you spout off talking points from the UN, or whoever is cheering on the climate change conspiracy theory.

The United Nations has been spinning climate change conspiracy theories, and fear mongering to get you to agree to agenda 21, so in essence, you already believe in agenda 21, due to the climate change conspiracy theories.
The climate is changing. So, do you not believe in planning for the future? How exactly is building housing near public transportation going to erode your freedoms? Where I live, housing closest to the regional subway is increasing in price higher than areas that one is dependent on cars because people want to live near the subway. That said, people living in the hills with little public transportation are NOT being told they must move. They can continue to live there and people can continue to move there if they want.

There has been no argument here against sustainable living. Saying it is "bad" is not an argument. Someone here wants to bring back horses. That was just strange. LOL Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing a coherent reason why bicycle commuting, recycling, sustainable living, lowering our dependence on fossil fuels etc... is a negative. Is that too much to ask? Thanks!!!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:06 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
In the US the push for more public transportation, bicycle lanes and denser development is about giving people choices. A large segment of the population wants to live close to their jobs. they want to commute by bicycle. they don't necessarily want to own a car, much less two or three per family. They want to live in smaller developments and walkable neighborhoods that have been largely disallowed under a lot of zoning ordinances. There is a market demand for all of those things, but it's different from the suburban post WWII "norm" and for some reason a lot of so-called conservatives find that threatening.

Going back to building towns and transportation systems closer to the way we did prior to the 1950s is the conservative thing to do, financially and culturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Part of the agenda 21 is addressing population control. Do you think they will release a virus on the population to help bring the population down to a manageable level?
Not this again...

Agenda 21 is a policy paper. The UN has no, zero, nil authority over the US government, much less the state and local governments that regulate land use. That said any dealing with population is planning for population growth and it's impacts, not population control. Sigh...

Old 10-06-2014, 11:14 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
The climate is changing. So, do you not believe in planning for the future? How exactly is building housing near public transportation going to erode your freedoms? Where I live, housing closest to the regional subway is increasing in price higher than areas that one is dependent on cars because people want to live near the subway. That said, people living in the hills with little public transportation are NOT being told they must move. They can continue to live there and people can continue to move there if they want.

There has been no argument here against sustainable living. Saying it is "bad" is not an argument. Someone here wants to bring back horses. That was just strange. LOL Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing a coherent reason why bicycle commuting, recycling, sustainable living, lowering our dependence on fossil fuels etc... is a negative. Is that too much to ask? Thanks!!!
Lets substitute climate change, for weather change, or season change depending on your area. The problem is they may force people that live farther out into the city, which in turn reduces fossil fuel usage. Speaking of agenda 21, it is rather loosely worded, and can be interpreted in many different ways.

I am not arguing against sustainable living, however it needs to be reasonable, and not forced on to people. Like I have said in other threads here, I don't have a problem with recycling, at this point I have removed about 300 watts of incandescent bulbs, and put in Led bulbs, seem a lot better then CFLs. However I still refuse to believe in climate change/global warming, because it is linked to agenda 21, and carbon tax, and people that have sub zero credibility.

Bicycle commuting, that is a whole different topic.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Lets substitute climate change, for weather change, or season change depending on your area. The problem is they may force people that live farther out into the city, which in turn reduces fossil fuel usage. Speaking of agenda 21, it is rather loosely worded, and can be interpreted in many different ways.

I am not arguing against sustainable living, however it needs to be reasonable, and not forced on to people. Like I have said in other threads here, I don't have a problem with recycling, at this point I have removed about 300 watts of incandescent bulbs, and put in Led bulbs, seem a lot better then CFLs. However I still refuse to believe in climate change/global warming, because it is linked to agenda 21, and carbon tax, and people that have sub zero credibility.

Bicycle commuting, that is a whole different topic.
Glad to hear you are doing what you can. It sounds like you don't have a problem with any of this. You just don't like the source. Although, the UN is not the only organization that understands climate change and the adverse effects it is going to have on our planet. I'll reiterate what someone above said. The UN does not control this country much less our local municipalities and their planning departments.

I don't understand why you think people are going to be forced to move to the cities? Unless you mean that the cost of fuel on the global market is going to go so high that it will be difficult to afforded the country life. Although, I suspect you mean taxes on fuel will go higher. That's a whole nother bag of gems. LOL

Hey, what do you have against bicycle commuting.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:13 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Again - anyone afraid of the UN needs to pick from our current list of far more suitable boogeymen.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,017 times
Quote:
Glad to hear you are doing what you can. It sounds like you don't have a problem with any of this. You just don't like the source. Although, the UN is not the only organization that understands climate change and the adverse effects it is going to have on our planet. I'll reiterate what someone above said. The UN does not control this country much less our local municipalities and their planning departments.

I don't understand why you think people are going to be forced to move to the cities? Unless you mean that the cost of fuel on the global market is going to go so high that it will be difficult to afforded the country life. Although, I suspect you mean taxes on fuel will go higher. That's a whole nother bag of gems. LOL

Hey, what do you have against bicycle commuting.
I have read on one of my bicycle advocate webpages, that it wants higher density living ( are they nuts!? I like having a yard and not living in an apartment ), I forget what exact terminology was used, I will have to try and find it. That is what agenda 21 is all about, and that is why I am against them. I think you maybe right that I just don't like the source, however with obama really pushing hard for a treaty by 2015.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
I have read on one of my bicycle advocate webpages, that it wants higher density living ( are they nuts!? I like having a yard and not living in an apartment ), I forget what exact terminology was used, I will have to try and find it. That is what agenda 21 is all about, and that is why I am against them. I think you maybe right that I just don't like the source, however with obama really pushing hard for a treaty by 2015.
Read my post above. As populations increase we have no option but to allow higher density residential. Where else do you propose everyone live? Should everyone be required to live in a single family home on large lots as they are in a lot of towns currently? Should everyone be required to have a yard just because you want one?

It's about choice and options. There is a huge market demand for single family homes, apartments and condos that are accessible to transit and remove the need to spend hours every day in traffic. Heck, the number of millennials that even wants to drive is declining, why should they be required to have a car to live comfortably.

And goodness forbid the environmental and financial consequences if every person in the world was required to live in your prefered way.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Ha, haven't read what your bicycle advocates have stated but I can confidently say that they did not advocate leveling single family homes and building apartment complexes. In-fill housing is most likely what they are advocating for. Near me there is a subway/commuter rail station that had a big parking lot. A separate parking garage was built and multi unit housing is being built in the former parking lot. People can still drive to the station and live in single family homes and others can move to one of the complexes and live car free -- if they chose. So, there is no mandate that is forcing anyone to do anything. It's nice to have options!!!

Old 10-06-2014, 04:17 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Read my post above. As populations increase we have no option but to allow higher density residential. Where else do you propose everyone live? Should everyone be required to live in a single family home on large lots as they are in a lot of towns currently? Should everyone be required to have a yard just because you want one?

It's about choice and options. There is a huge market demand for single family homes, apartments and condos that are accessible to transit and remove the need to spend hours every day in traffic. Heck, the number of millennials that even wants to drive is declining, why should they be required to have a car to live comfortably.

And goodness forbid the environmental and financial consequences if every person in the world was required to live in your prefered way.
That is exactly where we are headed. Not tomorrow or next year, but in a generation we may have no choices. The Federal gov't is buying up more and more land. Why do you suppose they need all that land?
Why do you suppose the EPA is getting more active and involved in controlling what a property owner can and cannot do with their property.

Quote:
Ha, haven't read what your bicycle advocates have stated but I can confidently say that they did not advocate leveling single family homes and building apartment complexes. In-fill housing is most likely what they are advocating for. Near me there is a subway/commuter rail station that had a big parking lot. A separate parking garage was built and multi unit housing is being built in the former parking lot. People can still drive to the station and live in single family homes and others can move to one of the complexes and live car free -- if they chose. So, there is no mandate that is forcing anyone to do anything. It's nice to have options!!!
Yes, there are no mandates at this time. And I agree, it's nice to have options. That is what some of us are advocating -- that we all continue to have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies