Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 06:41 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I have to sort of agree.

Brits have lost their stones.... Those boys used to run roughshod over the whole damn world...... America gets the rap of being the villains of the last century, but pick up a history book, the Brits have done more thought out history in terms of raping terrorizing and colonizing areas all over the world.

There's a reason that the phrase "The sun never sets on the British empire" was created....
The UK has been too PC but I am hopeful it's coming out of the fog. Interestingly, the phrase was coined in the 1500's and referred to the Spanish Empire. It was subsequently used by others after this including Napoleon, followed by Brits in the 1800's. I think it's even been used to describe the US. I happen to not believe in Empire building and felt we (Brits) never had the right to control any other country.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chowhound

I have to sort of agree.

Brits have lost their stones.... Those boys used to run roughshod over the whole damn
world...... America gets the rap of being the villains of the last century, but
pick up a history book, the Brits have done more thought out history in terms of
raping terrorizing and colonizing areas all over the world.

There's a
reason that the phrase "The sun never sets on the British empire" was
created....
So....if you're no longer a bully, you've "lost your stones"?
Interesting.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Charlie Brooker says it all! Doug Stanhope throws it back in our British faces, but he's got a good point too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TABgNerEro8

What do you Americans think of gun control? Do you see the irony in the idea of putting more guns in schools as a protection from being shot at?
LOL
I would like to see the Brits finally get it that we don't care what they think about our 2nd Amendment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
I do find the strange obsession with owning firearms to be ridiculous, however. Look at the UK, Germany, and France. Have they slided into dictatorships, oppressing their people? It is a civil right, but you know, it will only go away if the Constitution is amended. For that to happen, you'd need a democratic majority. The government isn't and hasn't been taking away your guns.
It's not a "strange obsession with owning firearms", it's an obsession to ensure that our rights are not taken away. Why is that so difficult for liberals to understand?

Old 10-04-2014, 06:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I would like to see the Brits finally get it that we don't care what they think about our 2nd Amendment.

It's not a "strange obsession with owning firearms", it's an obsession to ensure that our rights are not taken away. Why is that so difficult for liberals to understand?
Actually, we can thank the English for our Second Amendment. If they had not demonstrated the absolute need for every American to be armed in order to stand up against an oppressive non-representative government, we may never have added the Second Amendment to the US Constitution.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:55 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
The US has been persistently more violent than England for centuries, and Americans have a greater need for self-defensive measures against violent criminals, going by the murder rate.

Quote:
it's an obsession to ensure that our rights are not taken away.
Realistically, though, that has already failed. The US has by far the deadliest and most obtrusive police-state apparatus in the developed world. The "no-knock raid" and the "botched police shooting" hardly exist in other developed nations, but we just accept them in the US as part of the landscape. It is interesting how - far from being kept in line by the armed nature of their fellow Americans - American police take quite the opposite attitude, and respond with levels of force that would create a political scandal in other places.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:55 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,478 times
Because it is absurd.
All western developed countries are democracies with liberties similar to American and all are much safer than the US despite guns not being in private hands.

No Brit, German, or Italian will ever understand why would Americans choose to have such a high crime while all they have to do is ban guns, as proven by the example of all other rich industrialized democratic nations. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Old 10-04-2014, 06:59 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
The UK has been too PC but I am hopeful it's coming out of the fog. Interestingly, the phrase was coined in the 1500's and referred to the Spanish Empire. It was subsequently used by others after this including Napoleon, followed by Brits in the 1800's. I think it's even been used to describe the US. I happen to not believe in Empire building and felt we (Brits) never had the right to control any other country.
Yes...America is now labeled with that less than flattering term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So....if you're no longer a bully, you've "lost your stones"?
Interesting.
Poor wording on my part... I don't associate courage with running roughshod over others.... I simply meant that the brits were brutal in the greater sense in a much more and longer way historically speaking. America is now labeled as being the bullies of the world....... not my sentiments just noting...

Old 10-04-2014, 07:42 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Realistically, though, that has already failed. The US has by far the deadliest and most obtrusive police-state apparatus in the developed world.
Deadliest, maybe, obtrusive and intrusive police-state apparatus, you have a long way to go to beat the UK.

There's very little independent oversight of the British Police Forces, they can tap phones, intercept communications, check financial records etc. with more or less no evidence, just being a person of interest with no probable cause to go on. There are CCTV camera's in all major locations and transportation arteries that can be examined because it's requested.

The NSA only has wet dreams about running an internal surveillance apparatus that the UK has had for a very, very long time, in fact almost all that the NSA is trying to do comes directly from the UK, even the technologies most were developed at GCHQ, by the Brits for the Brits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Because it is absurd.
All western developed countries are democracies with liberties similar to American and all are much safer than the US despite guns not being in private hands.
Show me one that has a population of 330 Million people with a land area of 3.8 million square miles, with a underclass of the type of the US and then we can talk.

Quote:
No Brit, German, or Italian will ever understand why would Americans choose to have such a high crime while all they have to do is ban guns, as proven by the example of all other rich industrialized democratic nations. Duh.
I'm a Brit, I understand why the US should not ban ownership of guns, because any claimed reduction (directly attributed to firearms controls) in crimes is smoke and mirrors. Kind of makes a lie out of the No Brit thing doesn't it...?

Speaking from painful experience, I've been assaulted, had attempted assaults several times, burgled around 10 times, had four vehicles stolen only one returned two were burn outs and there is no idea where the last one went. All happened in a 15 year period in the UK. US total crime victim count is zero across now 13 years 8 living in a metro area. Now add in friends and relatives in the UK and that number increases exponentially, number of US friends and relatives crime count... 2, one a fight in a bar parking lot (which is only notionally a crime, he deserved a slap, got a little more than deserved), and one burglary.

Here's a personal experience of the change in policing of burglary the first few times (late 80's early 90's) they sent out a crime unit, check for fingerprints, look for physical evidence, you've seen it on TV. Last times late 90's they just issued me a crime number over the phone, the crime number allowed me to claim on my home insurance for repairs and replacement of stolen items. The police admitted point blank they did not have any ability to capture the perpetrators, and the manpower was better spent on other crimes.

Of course this flies in the face of your constant narrative, so I'm sure you'll discount it. Oh well.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Show me one that has a population of 330 Million people with a land area of 3.8 million square miles, with a underclass of the type of the US and then we can talk.
That's a bad argument as there is no other country with that population and land mass...

You can choose to ignore all the data and examples of other rich countries with murder rates many times lower than ours. That's your choice. Don't ever complain about crime in America, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Here's a personal experience of the change in policing of burglary the first few times (late 80's early 90's) they sent out a crime unit, check for fingerprints, look for physical evidence, you've seen it on TV. Last times late 90's they just issued me a crime number over the phone, the crime number allowed me to claim on my home insurance for repairs and replacement of stolen items. The police admitted point blank they did not have any ability to capture the perpetrators, and the manpower was better spent on other crimes.

Of course this flies in the face of your constant narrative, so I'm sure you'll discount it. Oh well
No. It simply proves how useless are anecdotes in making a point. LOL If you think an American police department will send a crime unit to dust for prints to find a burgler who just broke into your apartment or a house than you're mistaken LOL

Old 10-04-2014, 08:05 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
That's a bad argument as there is no other country with that population and land mass...
If you're whole argument is supported by making false comparisons, then yes I'm sure it can be seen as a bad argument for those false comparisons. The US is significantly different in culture and attitudes to Europe, even the UK. That counts for sure.

Quote:
You can choose to ignore all the data and examples of other rich countries with murder rates many times lower than ours. That's your choice. Don't ever complain about crime in America, then.
You know what, I actually don't complain. I've never personally suffered any crime in America, what do I have to complain about? Now I can complain about the UK, because yes I have indeed suffered crime in the UK, quite a bit in fact, although not especially more than most people I know who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies