Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:58 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I worry more about the Timothy McVeigh types. While most of the anti-government crowd are cowardly blowhards, every once in a while one of them follows through.
Although McVeigh was a coward, he was responding to the Waco incident, where the ATF tried to literally burn out 60 some odd people held up by gun fire on both sides, well those in the Waco camp all died in the fire and McVeigh plotted in revenge.

The thing I'm growing annoyed of is how people around the world talk about differences bringing people closer, when in reality it separates us. That and the utter lack of foresight by the US military as a whole. Do you really think you can defeat an ideology with missiles?

Old 10-04-2014, 08:01 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Agree with the OP. With the organization, money and blood smeared zealotry of ISIS, they have the capacity to go from simple butchery at the hands of a knife to chemical, biological and even nuclear warfare. Somewhere, some time expect an attack on we the people that will make 911 seem a minor event.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:04 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
There are plenty of random killings of Americans in the United States that don't involve ISIS or any other Muslim extremists. I've never lived my life in fear of those random killings, and I'm not about to start living my life in fear now.
Yes indeed, I'm more concerned with being waylaid by a saggy panted knucklehead than a terrorist.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My point is that ISIL made a specific and pointed threat directly at military families - not simply American families. American military families. That's a bit different.
It is not different. ISIL making threats isn't anything new. It is what they are about.

They have threatened to kill all Americans. Okay, that is rather inclusive. ISIL isn't more capable of killing military family members than any members of non-military families.

So ISIL threatened to kill members of military families. Does that mean they aren't targeting or won't now kill other Americans when the opportunity presents? Of course not. Lets not start creating different classes of the threatened because there are none.

So far, ISIL has beheaded non-military Americans. Right now, based on that, and those are actions not words, the families of journalists and aid workers have far more to fear from ISIL than military families.

The idea that we're now going to have certain people jump ahead of the line to claim an extra threat is probably what they hope for.

Being in a military family isn't any more dangerous when it comes to ISIL than the guy walking down the street.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:25 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
L.O.L. at little minds that bring petty politics up believing a change of administration will change anything.
From the perspective of an individual with nary an original thought in what passes for his mind, with nothing to contribute to the debate, and the inability to carry out even a civil exchange, he passes along only ad hominem attacks as his fancied contributions...

Enjoy yourself, put your toys away when you are finished.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Looks like they are getting desperate or tried of looking to the skys and seeing their friends died from above. I hate to lead the life they are now; frankly .Ben Laden got tried of living in a cave and tried to hid in the end.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Quote:
It is not different. ISIL making threats isn't anything new. It is what they are about.
Well, then, let's just ignore any future threats then. Why do we even listen to anything they say? They're nothing but a bunch of rag tag rabble rousers anyway.

Quote:
They have threatened to kill all Americans. Okay, that is rather inclusive. ISIL isn't more capable of killing military family members than any members of non-military families.
Say that there's a serial killer on the loose, who is targeting women. He leaves notes describing how much he hates women - all women. Then he leaves a note saying that he particularly hates women with short blonde hair and plans to kill one of them next. Should we just ignore that, because he hates ALL women? Or should women with short, blonde hair be a bit more vigilant - you know, make sure they lock their doors at night, don't park in dark corners of the parking lot, etc. Not saying they should live in fear, and not saying that all other women can rest easy either, but...women with short blonde hair would need to step it up a bit.

Or we could just ignore that threat because after all, he hates all women.

Quote:
So ISIL threatened to kill members of military families. Does that mean they aren't targeting or won't now kill other Americans when the opportunity presents? Of course not. Lets not start creating different classes of the threatened because there are none.
See above.

Quote:
So far, ISIL has beheaded non-military Americans. Right now, based on that, and those are actions not words, the families of journalists and aid workers have far more to fear from ISIL than military families.
See above.

Quote:
The idea that we're now going to have certain people jump ahead of the line to claim an extra threat is probably what they hope for.

I don't even know what you mean by this - you make it sound as if it's some sort of prize, or honor, or special badge to be singled out in a threat from ISIL. Do you think that military families feel like this makes them extra special? Wow - that's weird.

Quote:
Being in a military family isn't any more dangerous when it comes to ISIL than the guy walking down the street.
Once again - sounds like you think I am implying that this makes military families extra special or something. Back to the example of the serial killer - are blondes with short hair suddenly extra special? No. But it does mean that they've been threatened more specifically.

That doesn't make them more valuable, or more special, or whatever it is you think I'm implying.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Agree with the OP. With the organization, money and blood smeared zealotry of ISIS, they have the capacity to go from simple butchery at the hands of a knife to chemical, biological and even nuclear warfare. Somewhere, some time expect an attack on we the people that will make 911 seem a minor event.
Right now ISIS is spending their money on a full-scale war. But they're well versed in propaganda and apparently psych warfare.

Radical Islam--particularly Wahabism--is being successfully proselytized all around the world by virtue of Saudi oil money (by which ISIS has also been supported). They are well aware of that success, and they use it to recruit from everywhere Wahabism is being taught. They are fully aware that there are radical wannabees in those countries who might, just might, respond to a general call to make Islamic heroes of themselves.

But this has hardly been different since 1992 when Al Qaeda made the same threats. The difference now is that ISIS has a different concept of propaganda. The threat has always been there, but ISIS isn't allowing the bulk of America to remain oblivious to it.

In some ways, Colonel Jessep was right.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Kathryn,
Wow. Time to get a couple of things straight with you. First, you say this:

Quote:
Every statement below is a direct quote from your original post. When some of us strongly object you reply by telling us that "we are twisting your words". I think everyone here ought to take a look at exactly what you said. I'm going to parse these quotes because I find many of them extreme and examples of what I call fear mongering.
First of all, I didn't accuse multiple people of twisting my words. I accused one person - and it wasn't you. It was another poster who didn't answer a single question I asked and who said this:
Quote:
Jesus, I don't know why you're so hell bent on getting me to decide that I need to fear for my life and lock myself in my home and never emerge because there are terrorists lurking everywhere I go. I have a different outlook on life and dangers in general than you do. That's just the way it is.
That is a great example of twisting the words (and meaning) of another person. I have not implied or stated that anyone (myself included) should start locking themselves up in their home, never emerging because there are terrorists lurking everywhere I go.

Though I do agree that he and I certainly do have a different outlook on life.

Quote:
How is a ragtag bunch of Islamic fundamentalists that operates primarily in Iraq/Syria and is struggling to gain control of those regions going to "terrorize every corner of the Earth"? I submit that the notion they can "accomplish their mission" in western countries like the USA, Western Europe, Australia, etc. is just nonsense. The only basis for it are some threats that have been made. The fact is that "talk is cheap".
1. ISIS is not a ragtag bunch. They are raking in about $3M a day.
Syria News | Syria Deeply, Covering the Crisis
ISIS' struggle to control its oil riches - CNN.com

That being said, I stated what THEIR goals are - not whether or not I think they will succeed at those goals. In fact, I think their goals are ridiculous, idealistic, and unobtainable. But when they fail, it won't be for lack of trying, and they are not going to gentle into that good night.

Quote:
What proof is there that this killing is any way related to Jihad? Is the perpetrator a Muslim? Did he have a Koran with him when he committed the crime? The victim was decapitated, but some murders are committed that way.
Wow, do you really not know that the perpetrator in OK was a Muslim - a recent convert who struck his fellow Muslims who worshiped at the same mosque as odd, and that he had been actively trying to convert coworkers to Islam in the weeks leading up to the killing? You really don't know that his Facebook page was filled with hatred toward the US and with pro Islamic diatribe?
'SHARIA LAW IS COMING!!!!': Oklahoma beheading suspect posted photos of decapitation, wrote U.S. is 'going into flames' on Facebook - NY Daily News

Quote:
What do you have in mind? Ground troops back in Iraq? Remember how well that went last time and how popular the last President who was in office was because of it? The President has authorized air support and military advisers. Please don't be in a hurry to get us into another war that we cannot extricate ourselves from. The last one added a trillion dollars to the deficit in this country. No thanks, that's advice the President doesn't need right now.
You wouldn't be putting words into my mouth, now would you? I didn't say anything along those lines, and with several of my adult children in the military, I would HATE for any of them to have to deploy again to that region.

I want a more comprehensive and realistic approach to this - not an ideological approach. Even Obama has admitted to underestimating ISIL/ISIS.
Intel Officials Take Issue With Obama on 'Underestimate' of ISIS Threat - NBC News

Our leadership cannot act effectively against this group if they are not fully aware of their capabilities and goals.

Quote:
I see this as a practically hysterical statement. What chance do you see of ISIS invading the USA and forcing all us Christians to convert to the Muslim religion at gunpoint? This is exactly what you are suggesting here.
But that wasn't MY statement - that is THEIR statement. Those are THEIR goals, not my fears. Big difference.

When people tell you what their goals are, you really should listen. Whether or not those goals are realistic, they are going to base their actions on those goals.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:56 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
It's GW's fault. Instead of exterminating Al Queda, he diverted our military resources to invading Iraq.

But it's partly the fault of the rich Arabs in places like Saudi Arabia who financially support ISIS. We need to negotiate better with countries like Saudi Arabia, to convince them that people who support ISIS need to have their money seized to finance the fight against ISIS. If someone has a billion dollars, and sends a million to ISIS, the other 999 million should be seized by that person's government, to be used for the fight against ISIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies