Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 10:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You can post that crap til the cows come home..slavery was not on the way out of anywhere.

People that paid lots of money for their property weren't about to just allow it to be taken away. The crap you posted is typical Confederate apologist revisionist horse dung.

And don't tell me about compensation. Slave owners didn't want compensation, they wanted slaves. These were depraved people. They liked having power over other humans. They enjoyed having forced sex with slaves and humiliating the males who were far stronger physically than they were. White Southerners weren't gonna give that up. And those that didn't own slaves were usually poor and liked having a race of people beneath them.
And yet one by one, states were voting to absolish slavery, and most farms, not even in the south didnt own them, despite your claims..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 10:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
That ignores the fact that the South started the war.

The Confederacy fought to keep slavery.

You can post that crap til the cows come home..slavery was not on the way out of anywhere.

People that paid lots of money for their property weren't about to just allow it to be taken away. The crap you posted is typical Confederate apologist revisionist horse dung.

And don't tell me about compensation. Slave owners didn't want compensation, they wanted slaves. These were depraved people. They liked having power over other humans. They enjoyed having forced sex with slaves and humiliating the males who were far stronger physically than they were. White Southerners weren't gonna give that up. And those that didn't own slaves were usually poor and liked having a race of people beneath them.
The Confederacy fought for their rights, as states, to make their own decisions.
Slavery just happened to be the issue over which they fought.

Lincoln just wanted to preserve the union and freeing slaves was not his concern but he did say in his letter (which I posted) that if freeing the slaves would preserve the union he would.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
If the Confederate states succeeded in seceding, then the Union states would no longer have to turn over runaway slaves. It would have made things much easier for runaway slaves as they would no longer need to trek all the way to Canada, which might have caused slavery to become unprofitable in the border states.

What's interesting is that even after the end of the Civil War, there wasn't a mass migration of freed slaves to the north. Most slaves stayed on working the farms and plantations of their former owners.
Your last paragraph is intentionally dishonest.

How exactly do slaves just pick up and leave to go North when all you know is what's within a few mile radius of where you've been all your life.

You act as if they were able to jump into their Cadillacs and head north on the freeways.

You're also ignoring the fact that angry bands of whites terrorized slaves and warned them not to leave their plantations.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:27 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
That ignores the fact that the South started the war.

The Confederacy fought to keep slavery.

Indeed. This is stated in the Articles of Secession. That cannot be refuted.

And everything else mentioned, well, it can be said that the South went to the very end kicking and screaming. Slaves were considered a valuable commodity.

The thing is, nothing can really be refuted in this instance. You might get called "leftist" or other names. But can it be refuted?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is no need to dispute that we return people to where they belong.. It continues till today and will forever probably be a fact of the way it is..
Return who to where? Be specific. Who exactly do you mean in this instance?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Return who to where? Be specific. Who exactly do you mean in this instance?
I cant tell you where they were returned to because I cant list where everyone came from..

Maybe you have a list somewhere, I dont.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Confederacy fought for their rights, as states, to make their own decisions.

Lincoln just wanted to preserve the union and freeing slaves was not his concern but he did say in his letter (which I posted) that if freeing the slaves would preserve the union he would.
Go read the Articles of Secession. Slavery is mentioned as a major reason for the desire to secede. Slave owners loath to give up slavery. States' rights? Yeah, the state's right to keep slavery.

And I do not care why. I'm descended from slaves, so I am not going to side with the right to secede. I don't care what would have happened to the Southern economy.

And I know about Lincoln. I've posted it on this thread.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I cant tell you where they were returned to because I cant list where everyone returned, came from..

Maybe you have a list somewhere, I dont.
Whom are you referring to, in this case? I ask because I get the feeling you are referring to the slaves in regards to the Fugitive Slave Act. This whole argument started when I mentioned the Fugitive Slave Act.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

What happens to you Yanks once you move down South? LMAO...The transformation into virulent Neo Confederates is astounding to say the least.

Whatever Lincoln's intentions were, he IS the emancipator...period. And this campaign to discredit him since his death simply because he said certain things when he faced the greatest threat to the stability of this country in its history is laughable.

Lincoln, Grant, Sherman...heroic men.

Jeff Davis, Lee, Jackson, Hood, etc...losers and traitors.

As for your first sentence, you folks keep forgetting that the South STARTED the damn war. Why are we supposed to sympathizer with a loser that starts a war that they can't finish?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Whom are you referring to, in this case? I ask because I get the feeling you are referring to the slaves in regards to the Fugitive Slave Act. This whole argument started when I mentioned the Fugitive Slave Act.
yes, slaves would be returned because at that point they were considered "property" by the US Supreme Court in stats where slavery was still legal.

I have no idea what your point is..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies