Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, I have several book shelves full of books on the US civil war and yes, I have read all of them. Any other questions?

Yes, if they cannot provide proof of such, which is something I have not seen. If blacks were truly fighting on the side of the South it would be well documented and the data and paperwork would be there to prove it, where is it hmmmmm?
John Stauffer did an interesting study.
I have no dog in this fight, just interested in history.

Quote:
Black Confederate soldiers likely represented less than 1 percent of Southern black men of military age during that period, and less than 1 percent of Confederate soldiers. And their motivation for serving isn’t taken into account by the numbers, since some may have been forced into service, and others may have seen fighting as a way out of privation. But even those small numbers of black soldiers carry immense symbolic meaning for neo-Confederates, who are pressing their case for the central idea that the South was a bastion of states’ rights and not a viper pit of slavery, even though slavery was central to its economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
John Stauffer did an interesting study.
I have no dog in this fight, just interested in history.
I already know about those press-ganged into helping the south, I am talking about those that somehow joined the Confederate Army (not allowed) and supposedly fought to preserve the "Way of Life" and what is claimed by some here. It is not a new claim it has been claimed on almost every discussion of the Civil War, in the end no one can truly backup that claim.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmen View Post
It is already an established fact that black soldiers fought on the side of the confederacy.

Why are you perpetuating the myth that they didn't?
This is semantics. Technically it was illegal for a slave to fight for the Confederate army. There were a small number of free Blacks (i.e. not slaves) who fought for the Confederacy, with more still in support roles, but not allowed to do any actual fighting. There were also some Black slaves who fought as militias on behalf of the Confederacy as a way to side step the rule about no Slaves fighting for the Confederate army. Were there "slaves" fighting for the Confederate army? Technically no. Were they "freed slaves" fighting for the Confederate army, yes. Were there "slaves" acting in support roles for the Confederate army, yes. And of course you had groups like the all Black, Louisiana Militia which deserted after they lost the battle of New Orleans & joined the Union army. Like so many things surrounding this time period, there were lot's of complexity's. Today we like to lump things into "yes" or "no" category's when history is filled with "sort of's" & "kind of's".

Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Quote:
I already know about those press-ganged into helping the south, I am talking about those that somehow joined the Confederate Army (not allowed) and supposedly fought to preserve the "Way of Life" and what is claimed by some here. It is not a new claim it has been claimed on almost every discussion of the Civil War, in the end no one can truly backup that claim.
Again, I have no romanticized notion of blacks going full-tilt CSA. Definitely an odd event.

Quote:
Frederick Douglass reported, "There are at the present moment many Colored men in the Confederate Army doing duty not only as cooks, servants and laborers, but real soldiers, having muskets on their shoulders, and bullets in their pockets, ready to shoot down any loyal troops and do all that soldiers may do to destroy the Federal government and build up that of the rebels."

Quote:
Actually, the United States never acknowledged the independence of the C.S.A.

That is why it is known as a civil war, and not a war between two independent powers.

Since the union was never officially broken up, then it is truthful to say that we voluntarily ended slavery with the ratification of the 13th Amendment.
That is correct, but the Confederacy recognized their own independence, hence for the South the North had no legal authority to tell them anything and as such they were forced into feeing their slaves and rejoining the Union. Many in the South referred to the Civil War as The War of Northern Aggression and still do, not because they believed themselves to be fighting for freedom but because they considered themselves to be Free and a Separate Nation.

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Yes, I have several book shelves full of books on the US civil war and yes, I have read all of them. Any other questions?

Yes, if they cannot provide proof of such, which is something I have not seen. If blacks were truly fighting on the side of the South it would be well documented and the data and paperwork would be there to prove it, where is it hmmmmm?
Ellison was the exception to history. He was Black and in today's lingo would be considered one of the 1%.
I first learned about him when I took a college class that focused on the Civil War era.

William Ellison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ellison Family Graveyard, Sumter County, S.C.

Here is his story. Not only did he contribute money and his grandson enlisted.
There are always exceptions to history.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Masters-.../dp/0393303144

The Black Slave Owners - SlaveRebellion.org
On March 27, 1863 John Wilson Buckner, William Ellison’s oldest grandson, enlisted in the 1st South Carolina Artillery. Buckner served in the company of Captains P. P. Galliard and A. H. Boykin, local whites who knew that Buckner was Black was but overlooked this factor because of the Ellison family’s prestige and money his race status was changed to “honorary” white.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The United States did not consider the Confederacy to be a foreign government.
One considered themselves Independent and the other did not consider that Independence to be valid or legal, hence there was War, all depends on ones perspective.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:09 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Some slave owners took good care of their slaves. Other slave owners kept them in terrible conditions. And just the idea that some people are not as human and therefore enslaving them is acceptable is in itself so demeaning that it constitutes poor treatment.
The vast majority of slave owners took good care of their slaves. Just as they took good care of their horses & cows. One does not destroy ones most important investments. That said, I agree that it doesn't excuse slavery & imo, the lack of basic freedom was in itself the worst treatment most received.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
So you now admit that black soldiers fought for the confederacy, in direct contradiction of your earlier claim that anyone who states that they did is lying?
Oh good grief we are talking about blacks voluntarily fighting for the South, sorry it simply was not the case.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
I just did with links. William Ellison's grandson who was classified as an "honorary White" and allowed to enlist.

Maybe that's why you cannot find anyone listed as "Black" because there are none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies