Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 09:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,864,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I don't know what there is to wrap your head around. Some people find the same sex attractive. Why should they not have the right to marriage when people of the opposite sex do?
I'm quite sure you don't.

Yes, they do.

Opposite is the key word here. Why are two entirely different things treated as the same? They are NOT and never will be. As many besides GhostriderAZ have said, they want two entirely different things to be treated exactly the same--it MUST be marriage and not civil union.

That's it, I'm done.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,500,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Cathy, you got to understand. The gay community want forces universal acceptance of their life style. Next they will be trying to sue the Pope to rewrite the King James Bible. I see you have been pounced on by all quarters and I can assure we ( other Christians ) will keep on posting the traditional view.

They are not contend with a civil union which would solve the problem of peoples rights. They want the title of Marriage. Of course Gays Com. want the Judgment by the courts and they have over turned States Rights ( 10th Amendment ) The purpose in prolong is to get more outrage by people to change the view of people who live very normal lives everyday.

What irks the Pro Gay Marriage is we accept their civil union, but do not accept their life style as normal. Its at the end of the day a " Unquestioned acceptance of a Life style / choice " is the real issue here.
What you don't understand is that civil unions or domestic partnerships don't solve the problem of gay couples having the same rights, duties, and protections of woman-man marriages. Each state and the feds would then need to change 100's or 1,000's of laws to put those relationships on an equal status.

You're probably right that even with equal benefits a majority of gays would reject a 'separate but equal' status, but what you propose wouldn't even give them that status.

You, Cathy, and other opponents of ssm are free to reject the word 'married' for civilly married gay couples. Call them unioned or partnered or civilly joined together or living in sin, whatever makes you comfortable.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,271,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

Yes, they do.

Opposite is the key word here. Why are two entirely different things treated as the same? They are NOT and never will be. As many besides GhostriderAZ have said, they want two entirely different things to be treated exactly the same--it MUST be marriage and not civil union.

That's it, I'm done.
And what is different about it beyond the genitals that play a part? How is the underlying concept of marriage any different? Marriage has nothing to do with biology and everything to do with legality and inheritance. Why should they be forced into a different tier simply because people like you aren't comfortable with the concept? Most states also never offered civil unions to gay couples, and quite a few even banned them from entering them. So they aren't even being given the option you and some other people keep touting.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,486,255 times
Quote:

Yes, they do.

That's it, I'm done.
Good, you are done. You seem to have a lot of trouble grasping that civil unions are not the same as federal civil marriage, never have been and in many states, such as your Texas, they are forbidden and by the same people that keep saying " why not be happy with civil unions". Does not make sense, offer it to us, but deny it to us. What makes you think that your marriage is superior to that of a gay couple? Are you better, more equal? The marriage of a gay couple is not different than that of a straight couple, only the genders are different, but that does not make the union different.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
There is no such thing as a federal marriage license. It's up to the individual states. But...I digress.

The idea of man-man and woman-woman "marriage" is so foreign to me that I've never been able to wrap my head around it. I actually give it very little thought until it comes up as a state issue (such as an amendment to our state constitution), I read a news or magazine article about it, or something on TV. Given that it's getting to be a fairly constant thing on a daily basis means that people DO think about it more than they did 10 years or more ago.

But I can't change that (the idea of its being foreign) idea/attitude overnight. How do I do that?

But the fact that many don't agree with it has not changed anything. The best I am going to be able to do is live and let live. When you get right down to it, gays don't care what I think about it, and that's perfectly OK with me.
What hole have you been hiding in, Cathy? Same sex marriage has been in the US for over 10 years now and you find it foreign. Again, Cathy, what do you have a problem with with my marriage and relationship of 35 years? How does my being married create a problem for you or any of the anti gays?

Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I seriously doubt you know many millennials if you think that. Either that or you only have met people in a very religous setting. There is a TON of support for gay marriage in my age group , so I am wondering about all these people you are claiming to know. We are conservative fiscally, but socially liberal. The first part is nothing new because as people age they have always shifted right. The difference is in this case millennials aren't shifting right socially, but rather only fiscally.
I do know a lot. It's becoming "uncool" to be a liberal due to Obama and other things. You must live in a very liberal area.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Cathy, you got to understand. The gay community want forces universal acceptance of their life style. Next they will be trying to sue the Pope to rewrite the King James Bible. I see you have been pounced on by all quarters and I can assure we ( other Christians ) will keep on posting the traditional view.

They are not contend with a civil union which would solve the problem of peoples rights. They want the title of Marriage. Of course Gays Com. want the Judgment by the courts and they have over turned States Rights ( 10th Amendment ) The purpose in prolong is to get more outrage by people to change the view of people who live very normal lives everyday.

What irks the Pro Gay Marriage is we accept their civil union, but do not accept their life style as normal. Its at the end of the day a " Unquestioned acceptance of a Life style / choice " is the real issue here.
Don't you know that the King James bible was rewritten at the demand of King James. He had it rewritten to exclude passages he did not agree with. We are not content with civil unions because they too are forbidden to us. Is that so difficult for you to wrap you mind around. Those civil unions have been denied us by the same people that have been denying us Federal marriage. And yes, Marriage is a federal civil marriage contract. That is why the federal government has taken itself out of discriminating and will soon stop the states from discriminating against homosexual couples. Your religion and your bible belong to you and not in government. So when did you choose to be straight, since you think that gays choose to be gay. That is the biggest lie spread by anti gays.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That's pretty much it. *Sigh*
Big fat lie on both your parts. We have not been offered civil unions, we have been denied them too, you yourself admitted that Texas also bans civil unions and domestic partnerships, yet continue to spread the lie that civil unions are an option for us. Liar liar pants on fire.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,730,487 times
Quote:
I was responding to another individual who was talking about homosexual behavior in birds and otherwise.
The lions you brought up are not exhibiting homosexual behavior, by anyone's definition, and are a non-example. So I couldn't fail to wonder whether you knew that there are instances in nature of individual animals who are homosexual by preference and form pair bonds that pretty much fit the usual mating and off-spring-rearing patterns of their species except for their partner choice. So whatever else homosexuality is, it cannot be, by definition, unnatural.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:45 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I worked on a college campus in the Athletic Department for years and even the majority of student athletes support gay rights and marriage equality. Most of the pro athletes that I know personally support it. When gays have athletes on their side that is saying something. The objection from millennials mostly comes from those with no more then a HS degree or those from very religious backgrounds.
Did you ask them all? I know a lot of college students for traditional marriage so don't call those who believe in it "uneducated."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.