Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 01:04 PM

4,484 posts, read 3,838,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
umm, no.
Basically what I said.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:05 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,508,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
As I've stated in the past, going against your orientation--and living a lie (unless your spouse is fully aware of what's going on, and agrees to it) is not the way to go. I don't want to see gays hounded and persecuted for who they are. I don't want to see them lose jobs or housing.

I don't know what the answer is. I really don't. But the issue has been taken out of our hands--and it won't be long until gay marriage is legal in all 50 states.

I cannot accept gay marriage. But that doesn't translate to "I hate gays." That's just my opinion, and it won't matter two cents in the end, if that much.

I think civil union would probably work, as opposed to "marriage." But in the end, regardless of terms used, it will end up being the same thing.

And I know that very well.
Boy oh boy, over and over we are asked why we do not accept civil unions. Well, Cathy read your state constitutional ban on same sex marriage, you will find that it also forbids the recongnition of civil unions or domestic partherships for gays, they see those as to similar to the oh so sacred marriages of straights, that they succinctly forbid their recognition. So CIVIL UNIONS WILL NOT WORK.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:07 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,508,665 times
Quote:
I mean that you should be able to go about your lives without fear of being beaten within an inch of it.

Job performance is not related to orientation.

job performance? Baloney we are often fired for being gay in states with non discrimination not active, it has nothing to do with performance but the disdain by the employers.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:15 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,897,954 times
Default Protection Under the Law does equal Christian Law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
job performance? Baloney we are often fired for being gay in states with non discrimination not active, it has nothing to do with performance but the disdain by the employers.
I have posted this before, The Gay community have sued their way to the top for the Title " Marriage" . I agree with Cathy that it should be label as a Civil Union since Marriage traditional One Man and One Women.
In the work place there are all ready protection in place to protect peoples right. I do not what the big difference if you are gay and or have been discriminated due your color. There are measures in place.

What we are really speaking is equal protection under the law. However Christians may have to respect the law a judge and a result of a law suit. But we don not have to accept in the Life of Christ.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,900,167 times
Quote:
Sure, some employers don't like gays. But most of us have no control over that.

It is my personal opinion that if a person performs their job well, orientation should not be an issue.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Boy oh boy, over and over we are asked why we do not accept civil unions. Well, Cathy read your state constitutional ban on same sex marriage, you will find that it also forbids the recongnition of civil unions or domestic partherships for gays, they see those as to similar to the oh so sacred marriages of straights, that they succinctly forbid their recognition. So CIVIL UNIONS WILL NOT WORK.
At this point in time, that is true. Neither "marriage" nor "civil union" will work here in TX.

I personally cannot accept gay marriage. Quite simply put, a man-man or woman-woman relationship and subsequent "marriage" is not the same as man-woman. Trying to make them identical won't work, either.

But eventually, these two terms will be identical. The thing is, I seriously doubt that the underlying attitudes will ever change, not in a very, very long time.

Gays will have to tolerate those of us who see gay marriage as just plain WEIRD and an off-the-charts aberration.

By the same token, straights will have to tolerate seeing two tuxes or two wedding gowns in photos of ceremonies.

So be it. I plan to just ignore it when it hits, to the extent that I can.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:36 PM

29,626 posts, read 16,611,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Basically what I said.
No it isnt. The definition clearly states you dont have to be afraid of gay people to be a homophobe, it says you can just hate them.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:40 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,259,754 times
Quote:
Sure, some employers don't like gays. But most of us have no control over that.

It is my personal opinion that if a person performs their job well, orientation should not be an issue.
I worked at this place in Tulsa, and one day the boss was downstairs talking to us. For some reason we started talking about gays, and our boss said "If I ever found out anyone working for me is gay I will fire them on the spot" Oklahoma law says you can fire someone for being gay. The joke was on him, he never suspected I was gay! I wish I could look him up and tell him to his face he paid a gay man to work for him for 8 years, but he is out of business now. LOL

Old 10-11-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I worked at this place in Tulsa, and one day the boss was downstairs talking to us. For some reason we started talking about gays, and our boss said "If I ever found out anyone working for me is gay I will fire them on the spot" Oklahoma law says you can fire someone for being gay. The joke was on him, he never suspected I was gay! I wish I could look him up and tell him to his face he paid a gay man to work for him for 8 years, but he is out of business now. LOL

Well....you can still tell him...

Old 10-11-2014, 01:43 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,259,754 times
Quote:
At this point in time, that is true. Neither "marriage" nor "civil union" will work here in TX.

I personally cannot accept gay marriage. Quite simply put, a man-man or woman-woman relationship and subsequent "marriage" is not the same as man-woman. Trying to make them identical won't work, either.

But eventually, these two terms will be identical. The thing is, I seriously doubt that the underlying attitudes will ever change, not in a very, very long time.

Gays will have to tolerate those of us who see gay marriage as just plain WEIRD and an off-the-charts aberration.

By the same token, straights will have to tolerate seeing two tuxes or two wedding gowns in photos of ceremonies.

So be it. I plan to just ignore it when it hits, to the extent that I can.
Our Governor, Mary Fallin, believe a traditional marriage is one man-one woman-one Oklahoma Highway Patrol Sargent.

If you don't get it, look it up! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies