Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:15 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,502,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
YOU are talking about hard drugs, the Topic here is pot and if you believe pot has those same effects they you do not know what you are talking about. I believe people with addictions, be they for drugs, alcohol (another drug in liquid form) or food or other substances are normally covered under ones insurance not to mention the many clinics and organizations out there and available to assist them. Your money is not needed unless you would like to be a Good Christian/Person and help those in need, then that is your choice, we know it is all about YOUR money.
"Taxpayers fund the lion's share of addiction treatment – 79.2%, or $22.2 billion – through government-sponsored insurance programs and grants from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration to subsidize uninsured patients."

Insurers Balk at Funding Addiction Treatment | The Fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
"Taxpayers fund the lion's share of addiction treatment – 79.2%, or $22.2 billion – through government-sponsored insurance programs and grants from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration to subsidize uninsured patients."

Insurers Balk at Funding Addiction Treatment | The Fix
Pot is not physically addictive, no more than Dr Pepper or peanut brittle, that is simply a mental addition and rehab is not required, all that is needed there is a some duct tape over the correct hole.
Nice try though

Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Apples and oranges..... People who smoke tobacco smoke may use it 10-40 times a day (half a pack to as much as 2 packs).That study says that "high users" 20 times per month show no increase in lung capacity. Let's see what happens to a pot smokers lungs who smoke 10-40 joints a day.

Btw, I used to smoke weed back in the days. I would get bronchitis all the time, so I switched to baking it.

Now I don't use marijuana at all, but I still support legalization. However one has to be high if they think that using marijuana comes with no risks

Marijuana Study: Long-Term Use 'Causes Cancer and Schizophrenia
Marijuana doesn't cause schizophrenia. Use of marijuana may be linked to an earlier onset of a schizophrenic episode in people that are already going to develop it. IOW, people that use pot and carry the schizophrenia genes develop schizophrenia 2 years earlier.

There is also another study that found people with the genes for schizophrenia are more likely to seek and use marijuana, but the genes cause schizophrenia, not MJ.

Harvard: Marijuana Doesn’t Cause Schizophrenia | Psych Central News
Study finds genetic links between schizophrenia and cannabis use | Reuters

I will link the cancer research in my next post, but here are a couple directly addressing lung cancer.

Cannabis smoking and lung cancer risk: Pooled analysis in the International Lung Cancer Consortium - Zhang - 2014 - International Journal of Cancer - Wiley Online Library
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Now, brain damage/abnormalities, is seen in teens that smoke pot, but worse can be seen in teens that use alcohol and nobody is actually saying that teens should use pot.

The influence of substance use on adolesce... [Clin EEG Neurosci. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
Developing Brains: Alcohol Worse than Marijuana

Then there is this study that found no real damage to teen pot users, but this only looked at 18 months. I tried to find a study that looked at teens vs adult usage and spanned 10 years, but I can't find it. However, that study found permanent brain abnormalities present in heavy teen users of MJ, but adult brains had no permanent abnormalities.

Longitudinal Changes in White Matter Integrity Among Adolescent Substance Users - Bava - 2012 - Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research - Wiley Online Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Pot is not physically addictive, no more than Dr Pepper or peanut brittle, that is simply a mental addition and rehab is not required, all that is needed there is a some duct tape over the correct hole.
Nice try though
The addiction rate for pot is about 9% (alcohol sits at 15%, cigarettes sit at 32%).

Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Cannabis Smoke Versus Tobacco Smoke
Head, Neck and Lung Cancers
Childhood Cancers
Other Cancers

Old 10-08-2014, 01:10 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Cannabis Smoke Versus Tobacco Smoke
Head, Neck and Lung Cancers

Childhood Cancers

Other Cancers

Oh well. Cigarettes, alcohol & pills cause death & illness too but you don't see those being illegal now do you?

Old 10-08-2014, 03:22 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Well if you ever make it to Philly I'll have a fat dutch rolled for you LOL .

After your shift is over of course

Would you like girl scout cookie or sour diesel?
Reported. See something, say something.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:25 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, just the fact that most people use MJ be smoking it seems to be unhealthy. Then of course you are going to have a certain percentage (%?) who mess their lives up with MJ...because they can or won't use it in moderation.

I'm really surprised that so many people deny that MJ can be, and in some cases is...a very big problem in SOME MJ-USERS lives.
Show me a few of these many people.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,431 times
24 reasons why Marijuana is bad for you:

A good listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntuHSty41uM

Old 10-08-2014, 03:34 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The terrible truth about cannabis: Expert's devastating 20-year study finally demolishes claims that smoking pot is harmless

The terrible truth about cannabis | Daily Mail Online
Marijuana is not dope. I have smoked pot for 35 years and have no deleterious affects from it, if anything I am healthier then most of my peers in the mid 50's group and have a sharp and quick mind. Now as to teens smoking, it is the same as alcohol or tobacco, it affects their brains and development. Those are restrictions that I understand.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:28 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Marijuana is not dope. I have smoked pot for 35 years and have no deleterious affects from it, if anything I am healthier then most of my peers in the mid 50's group and have a sharp and quick mind. Now as to teens smoking, it is the same as alcohol or tobacco, it affects their brains and development. Those are restrictions that I understand.

well if pot is "DOPE" then alcohol is "DOPE" in a bottle, and opiates are heroin "DOPE" in a pill form..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies