Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 PM

22,652 posts, read 24,563,352 times

Advertisements

NOPE, if it is not part of the geographically contiguous UNITED States.......we should cut them loose, no more gravy bennies...............And I include Hawaii in that equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 08:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Sign View Post
Recently, people of American Samoa proposed a Bill to the Senate floor to grand full citizenship to anyone born in American Samoa as well as having all the benefits that American Citizens have if im not mistaken about the benefits part.

The bill was got turn down by Obama because of the fact that American Samoa is not a State. So that is why the question came up and its good to hear everyones opinion. Yes its up to the people and assume that they do, what would the rest of America think because its pretty much an expansion of the Union, something thats never happen since 1959 when Hawaii became state.
I doubt it was turned down by Obama. For one, Congress would deal with that issue before it gets to Obama. Two, American Samoans would probably vote for Obama. I don't see why citizenship status should not be granted to Am. Samoans, but it would be interesting to see why this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NOPE, if it is not part of the geographically contiguous UNITED States.......we should cut them loose, no more gravy bennies...............And I include Hawaii in that equation.
Meh, Hawaii is less of a mooch than S.C. is. Plus, it's nice to have such an awesome vacation spot and pay domestic rates for flights.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 PM

234 posts, read 219,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I doubt it was turned down by Obama. For one, Congress would deal with that issue before it gets to Obama. Two, American Samoans would probably vote for Obama. I don't see why citizenship status should not be granted to Am. Samoans, but it would be interesting to see why this is the case.

Meh, Hawaii is less of a mooch than S.C. is. Plus, it's nice to have such an awesome vacation spot and pay domestic rates for flights.
Im just stating what the news said and as far as Hawaii is concerned, she is more important than most states in American. The reason Japan didnt boom the mainland is because they cant get past Hawaii. Thats why the US look them in the first place. Losing Hawaii is like losing the guards and the gate at a rich gated comunity...

Old 10-08-2014, 09:38 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,812,672 times
I think the U.S. should be modified into two or more smaller countries. Only after which if Puerto Rico, Phillippines, and/or other countries want to join the states then it should be directly to a Washington DC collective. As in the one representative and no Senators.

I oppose any state breaking into smaller states, primarily in a case where a small region would result in a major metro having control over the election of two additional Senators - of any variety. Largely due to the influence of Nancy Pelosi.

Finally, I fully support the secession of Texas

Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,992,989 times
The current territories are either uninhabited, too small to form a state comparable to the other 50 at the time of their admission, and/or are not integrated enough into the rest of the U.S. to be the least bit cohesive with the other 50 states. I would prefer to see the inhabited territories become independent sovereign countries, with the U.S. retaining the uninhabited territories for obvious reasons. No border or trade controls with the new countries would need to be imposed, considering there are open borders with them now without incident or controversy, so all the legal benefits of union in travel would be retained; imposing border controls would be a needless burden on travelers, relocating persons, and merchants. While we're at it we could apply the same logic to Canada, considering Canadians obviously don't pose any greater threat than Minnesotans, Mainers, or Alaskans; it's even happened before without incident, when there was very little control of border crossings as recently as 1941, no border patrol of any kind as recently as 1923, and no controls of any kind before 1862.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
You want territories to become states? Just do what you did in Hawai'i. Send in the Marines, appoint rich forigners to temp run the government and outlaw the peoples languages, dance and spiritual practices. Then 50 years or more have a vote for statehood. You will get them. lol
Eh, I don't dismiss what was inflicted upon Hawaiians, but Hawaii was independent at that time, not a long-standing U.S. territory, so the situations are quite different between 19th century Hawaii and the current territories. I would follow the Texas and California mould or not annex any territory at all.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:20 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,746,638 times
Quote:
Lol wassup bradda
Maika'i mahalo, bruddah howzit wit you?

Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Im all good brudda, just killing time and working the net....what state you at if you dont mind me asking.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:39 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Quote:
Lol wassup bradda
Quote:
Somehow, guys, I don't think the gringos/hoales like us US islanders too much

Quote:
Recently, people of American Samoa proposed a Bill to the Senate floor to grand full citizenship to anyone born in American Samoa as well as having all the benefits that American Citizens have if im not mistaken about the benefits part.

The bill was got turn down by Obama because of the fact that American Samoa is not a State. So that is why the question came up and its good to hear everyones opinion. Yes its up to the people and assume that they do, what would the rest of America think because its pretty much an expansion of the Union, something thats never happen since 1959 when Hawaii became state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
You forgot Alaska. It's attached to Canada, and barely attached to Russia. Hell, it's closer to Russia than the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

I don't see how American Samoans would get turned down for citizenship, when we Puerto Ricans were granted it.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Somehow, guys, I don't think the gringos/hoales like us US islanders too much

You forgot Alaska. It's attached to Canada, and barely attached to Russia. Hell, it's closer to Russia than the US.

I don't see how American Samoans would get turned down for citizenship, when we Puerto Ricans were granted it.
Are you saying that anyone who was born in Puerto Rico is an automatic citizen? Because that is not the case in American Samoa.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:07 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Quote:
Are you saying that anyone who was born in Puerto Rico is an automatic citizen? Because that is not the case in American Samoa.
Yes, I was born in Puerto Rico and acquired US citizenship at birth. I have a US passport with citizen status printed on the data page. We used to be US Nationals until around WWI, when Congress extended US citizenship to all those born in Puerto Rico. So, that what makes me a natural born citizen. And, even though my citizenship status was acquired because of an Act of Congress, they cannot strip it away from me (without my consent) and revert me back to US National status,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies