Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
I think, it is a waste of time comparing US Presidents, overall it's been a disaster for the 20 years and I put the blame on the Congress first.

Nobody wants to discuss a disaster called Congress ? before we get to any President.

Congress has had the lowest rating in the last 20 years ,worst than any US President.

A flat tire, bee stings, & castor oil suck too but the discussion is about Presidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 03:41 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Quote:
Nixon was not a bad President ? so why did he resign ?

Because people still expected some level of behavior/ethics in the 70s. Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush 2 all did things equal to Tricky Dick but simply looked less guilty, protested more forcefully or hung out with a higher class of crook.

One thing about Nixon that impresses more with time is that he really did follow reason and map his goals for most of his decisions. He started the EPA, opened trade with China to block Soviet influence there and was on the whole fairly moderate by today's standards. Of course he was a complete whack job with a inferiority complex but I really think he did some things well and understood the economy better than most.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:41 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
I think calling Obama the worst President in history is a sign of a very short term memory. There were far worse, and I'd argue Carter is still worse. Who cares if Carter criticized him. That's not evidence that Obama is worse. If Carter was so bad, why would his opinion on how a president should do things matter anyway? He obviously didn't know how to do it.

Obama is not good either, don't mistake what I'm doing as trying to big him up. Honestly, he'll probably be remember for being the first black president and maybe starting universal healthcare, which thus far has improved almost nothing. His foreign policy isn't really a failure. Everything happening the Middle East cannot be pinned to Obama, at least not exclusively. There's a long list of bureaucrats and policies that have made much of what's happening possible. Blaming the guy who just happened to be in office is not entirely reasonable. One could argue that if Obama were a good president, he could have done something to stop it or improve the situation, which is true, and that's why he's not great. But to conclude he's the worst is far too extreme.

Quote:
He was going to be impeached and he'd rather leave on his own terms.

His impending impeachment, by the way, had nothing to do with his policies.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
A flat tire, bee stings, & castor oil suck too but the discussion is about Presidents.
Understand that but the problem with the Presidents comes essentially from the Congress !

Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I think calling Obama the worst President in history is a sign of a very short term memory. There were far worse, and I'd argue Carter is still worse. Who cares if Carter criticized him. That's not evidence that Obama is worse. If Carter was so bad, why would his opinion on how a president should do things matter anyway? He obviously didn't know how to do it.

Obama is not good either, don't mistake what I'm doing as trying to big him up. Honestly, he'll probably be remember for being the first black president and maybe starting universal healthcare, which thus far has improved almost nothing. His foreign policy isn't really a failure. Everything happening the Middle East cannot be pinned to Obama, at least not exclusively. There's a long list of bureaucrats and policies that have made much of what's happening possible. Blaming the guy who just happened to be in office is not entirely reasonable. One could argue that if Obama were a good president, he could have done something to stop it or improve the situation, which is true, and that's why he's not great. But to conclude he's the worst is far too extreme.

He was going to be impeached and he'd rather leave on his own terms.

His impending impeachment, by the way, had nothing to do with his policies.
So Watergate was not, one of his policies, to spy on his opponents ?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
It was Jimmy Carter (not Ronald Reagan) and his flunky Brzezinski who first armed the Afghan mujaheddin, with predictably bad results.

I don't dislike Carter as a person, but I wouldn't consider his critique of Obama to be terribly valuable.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:34 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
One problem with Americans is that they think history begins and ends in their lifetime. There's actually way worse presidents out there in the depths of history.
Ill give it a guess as to why most Americans think that way...they know what they see with their own eyes and what affects them...they also know that most of history was a lie and was written by who had the power at the time...2 people see an accident and both tell a different story about what they saw.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
What an amazing accomplishment, to have Jimmy Carter, one of the most pathetic presidents of the post world war II era, criticize your actions as president. Congratulations, President Obama! You finally have washed the taste of Jimmy Carter out of the mouths of Americans.

Jimmy Carter: President Obama blew it on ISIL - Jonathan Topaz - POLITICO.com

It is Obamas fault.

Get use to it.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Because of Watergate, but that didn't make him bad at his job. It's like the serial killer Ted Bundy was a telephone crisis counselor. Sure, he strangled people in the parking lot - but while he was inside on the phones, he was a great help to people.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
One problem with Americans is that they think history begins and ends in their lifetime. There's actually way worse presidents out there in the depths of history.
until obama, i thought no president could be worse that carter, but obama proved me wrong on that count.

Quote:
nixon resigned for the good of the office of president. he knew he was going to be impeached, and very likely tossed from office when the charges went to the senate, and nixon knew that would be bad for the country in the long run, so he resigned so the country could start to heal and move forward.

Quote:
So Watergate was not, one of his policies, to spy on his opponents ?
watergate was not a policy, and nixon had nothing to do with the break in. that was engineered by john dean( a lying SOB by the way). nixons mistake however was engineering a cover up of the operation after the fact, instead of tossing the leader of the operation to the wolves. had nixon let the FBI investigate properly instead of having the CIA block their investigation, likely he would not have been a target of the investigation, and would not have had to resign or be impeached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies