Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 02:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Good point. I see French on many products' packaging, especially health and beauty products. My toothbrush was printed in English and French. My printer's instructions were printed in English, Japanese, and Chinese. No complaints about that. But, God forbid the jingoists see Spanish anywhere. When I go to see my wife in England, almost EVERYTHING that isn't perishable is printed in at least 5 languages. Nobody really complains., and those are not immigrant societies like our country is
Which is sadly ironic. With that said, I know 2nd, 3rd,...nth generation [insert favorite immigrant group here]-Americans and they are literate in English and don't speak a word of [insert favorite foreign language here]. America is not dying because of this.

[the language of the land is safe]

Old 10-08-2014, 02:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If there is any element of prejudice against Hispanics it is because of those here illegally in such large numbers, their ethnocentric supporters and those who refuse to assimilate in America. Is that not reason enough?
How do you know their immigration status?

Quote:
Were those English, French and Spanish that you mentioned here illegally and if not did they support illegal immigration from their group and call anyone who objects to it "racists"?
See above.

Quote:
Serving them in their native language only makes it harder for them to assimilate or is it all about the almighty buck these days?
Dude...America has only ever had one language by design.

That language is commerce. And God bless it. Embrace your capitalist man! It's what made America great.

Quote:
I know many who are fluent in English but they still choose Spanish nearly everywhere. Is that what you call assimilation?
People can choose to speak in whatever tongue they wish. What business is it of yours?

Quote:
Is this what we have to look forward to in the future?
English will be the dominant language for the foreseeable future of the US.

Fun fact: English is a hybrid of Latin, Frisian, German, Greek, Anglo-Saxon, Arabic, French and myriad other tongues.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:16 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Ok, but the push is for Americans who will never do business outside of this country to learn mostly Spanish. There is nothing beneficial about learning a foreign language if your job doesn't entail working with foreigners in a foreign country. The only exception might be if you work in the tourist industry.
If you are a salesperson in the southwest you better learn Spanish.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:17 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Is it nation wide and by politicians in our federal government? Um no, probably not.
The GOP primary was about becoming POTUS, so yes, it was national.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:18 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
So it's disrespectful for an American politician to hold a debate in English when the target audience knows English also?
American politicians who aren't courting the Spanish vote should just continue to speak English.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
If you are a salesperson in the southwest you better learn Spanish.
Depends on what part of the Southwest. I'm in Arizona and; most people speak English, not Spanish and so in in places like Kingman, Bullhead or Prescott.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:23 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
How do you know their immigration status?

See above.

Dude...America has only ever had one language by design.

That language is commerce. And God bless it. Embrace your capitalist man! It's what made America great.

People can choose to speak in whatever tongue they wish. What business is it of yours?

English will be the dominant language for the foreseeable future of the US.

Fun fact: English is a hybrid of Latin, Frisian, German, Greek, Anglo-Saxon, Arabic, French and myriad other tongues.
Where did I say I know anyone's immigration status? I never said they were all here illegally. In fact there are at least 20 million or more here legally.

Putting up a strawman argument now in regards to the fact that our spoken language is English?

Yes, I can choose to spit on the sidewalk if I want but it is still rude. If I moved to a foreign country I would learn their language and most of all speak it.

Who cares what English consists of? It's still English. Grasping at straws now?

Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Depends on what part of the Southwest. I'm in Arizona and; most people speak English, not Spanish and so in in places like Kingman, Bullhead or Prescott.
I have to laugh at the posters that claim Hispanics are assimilating and learning English and then they say" if you want to work in the southwest you'd better learn Spanish".

Old 10-08-2014, 02:28 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
I have to laugh at the posters that claim Hispanics are assimilating and learning English and then they say" if you want to work in the southwest you'd better learn Spanish".
Marketing 101. If you want more blacks to buy your product, you put more blacks in your ads. If you want more untapped Spanish customers, you market to them. It's ALL marketing. These are very introduction level advertising techniques. But, feel free to ignore me all you want, you know I am right and I blow all your points out of the water. Any of your arguments would have some merit in countries that are not traditional immigrant societies, but not here where this country was built by people of different backgrounds and languages. And, revisionist history aside, it is a complete myth that foreigners came here and readily assimilated into English within their lifetime. NEVER HAPPENED. That is a complete fabrication, a lie, revisionism, romanticized view of history, whatever you want to call it

Old 10-08-2014, 03:18 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,633 times
Quote:
And, revisionist history aside, it is a complete myth that foreigners came here and readily assimilated into English within their lifetime. NEVER HAPPENED. That is a complete fabrication, a lie, revisionism, romanticized view of history, whatever you want to call it
Really genius...my parents did and so did all my relatives!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies