Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 PM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
For your info , the name : 'California' is originally a Spanish name and doesn't need to be renamed !!

Btw, California used to be part of the country of Mexico so it didn't really belong to us in the past.
There's your clue "in the past". This is the present.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
In the present, people speak all sorts of languages in this country. There is nothing wrong with that. If you don't know what someone is saying, you tell them you only speak English.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
Quote:
Why would we have to assimilate to their language? Spanish is a Latin American language. English is a North American language.
You got it wrong again, I start thinking ,you have no clue of what you're talking about.

Spanish is a European language of Latin origin just like French, Italian and Portuguese languages, not a Latin American.

English has never been a North American language, it is still a European language.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:29 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
Quote:

Maybe this is the present but you represent the past.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:33 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
You're kind of loose with your own "past and present" use.. In another thread ( birth control for kids). You're whole argument was about how things were in the " past" while others argued that the past... Is past and it's time to adapt to the present.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Nice, spin there. I said "several" languages being spoken sounds like babbling. [b]We have one identify culture and language the others are all minority ones. Just because Mexican food is cook and served here doesn't mean we are a Hispanic nation in identity anymore than we are an Asian country because we eat eggrolls. You need to learn the difference.

Who cares what's been here longer? Doesn't change the fact that we are majorily English speaking country. Apparently, you and some others in here don't like that. Hmm, makes me wonder what the agenda is although I think I have an idea.
I think you need a history lesson. The United States has never had one culture, it's always been a melting pot. It's why traditions in this Country vary so much by the area you live in.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
You got it wrong again, I start thinking ,you have no clue of what you're talking about.

Spanish is a European language of Latin origin just like French, Italian and Portuguese languages, not a Latin American.

English has never been a North American language, it is still a European language.
You said it was an American language. I said it is a North American language and Spanish is a Latin American language on "this" continent. You're changing the goal posts now to Europe. English is not the language of the U.S and most of Canada? Doesn't matter where it originated from.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:39 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
You and others in here keep singing the praises of being bi-lingual, tri-lingual, etc. in America but never explain why. I have already given you my reasons why it's mostly a waste of time. When you don't use it you lose it. Much better to teach our kids a trade in school. We have survived for over 200 years being an English dominant country so just what's the problem? Is it to accommodate lazy Spanish speakers that don't want to learn or speak English which is our nation's language? Me thinks so!
Because being educated and having some culture is a good thing?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think you need a history lesson. The United States has never had one culture, it's always been a melting pot. It's why traditions in this Country vary so much by the area you live in.
"Out of many, "ONE". Do you not see the "one" part? Yes, we have one "identifying and dominant" culture and language in this country with "minority" ones living among us. I know history so I suggest you stop with the insinuations that I'm stupid about it.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Because being educated and having some culture is a good thing?
Our identifying American culture isn't a culture? Education isn't just about learning a foreign language you know. It's not all that smart to waste time learning languages you will never use. If I want to experience another culture I sure as hell don't have to learn their language to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies