Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,633 times

Advertisements

This is what happens when you have open borders. The disingration of a nation as european nations are finding out as well!

http://rt.com/usa/193944-california-...ebate-spanish/

Record 61.8 million residents in U.S. speak langauge other than English at home.

One in five in the U.S. don't speak English at home, immigration report says - Washington Times

Old 10-07-2014, 02:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Great to inform as many Latinos as possible about the issues

As you clearly demonstrate, Dems have the Latino vote.

I applaud a debate in Spanish that can better educate and inform our Latino population.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:28 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
So it was and is it will be in the future. parts of the US have had residents speaking languages other then English for longer than we have been a country. Holding political debates in Spanish is an excellent way for politicians to reach their constituents. I am not threatened by this but encouraged for our future.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:30 PM

16,547 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
As you clearly demonstrate, Dems have the Latino vote.

I applaud a debate in Spanish that can better educate and inform our Latino population.
Let us assume your comment is more correct than not. If you can put aside the politics for the purpose of answering the question, I'd appreciate it.

Do you think it is good for the country as a whole to have competing languages, and if so why?

`

Old 10-07-2014, 02:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
The country is turning Hispanic. Spanish will eventually become the dominant language.
It already is in some parts of the country. And it can be very frustrating at times for those of us that don't speak Spanish.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:33 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Not really surprising that a state called New Mexico might have a Spanish-speaking population. Also there's been a Spanish speaking population there since before the state was part of the US(going back to the early days of Spanish colonization) and ever since. There's even a New Mexican dialect of Spanish that is based more on colonial era-Spanish that's used in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado.

Also the Spanish language has special status in the state of New Mexico going back to the early days of statehood.

Quote:
New Mexico law grants Spanish a special status. For instance, constitutional amendments must be approved by referendum and must be printed on the ballot in both English and Spanish.[6] Certain legal notices must be published in English and Spanish, and the state maintains a list of newspapers for Spanish publication.[7] Spanish was not used officially in the legislature after 1935.[8] Though the New Mexico Constitution (1912) provided that laws would be published in both languages for twenty years and this practice was renewed several times, it ceased in 1949.[8][9] Accordingly, some describe New Mexico as officially bilingual,[10][11][12] while others disagree.
http://www.nmhcpl.org/uploads/what_t...ution_says.pdf

Quote:
California, New Mexico hold major political debates in Spanish--Death Of America--thank you Progressive Left!
De nada...

Old 10-07-2014, 02:33 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Let us assume your comment is more correct than not. If you can put aside the politics for the purpose of answering the question, I'd appreciate it.

Do you think it is good for the country as a whole to have competing languages, and if so why?

`
I could make the argument that different languages help create different viewpoints that enhance a democracy. I'd even be right. But there are so many negatives that cause issues that they drown out the positives.

We need people to speak one language. Having debates in another is indicative of a problem.

On the other hand Canada has two languages and still functions. Its not the end of the world, but its dreadfully inefficient.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:34 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,368 times
America in decline, we are experiencing the beginning...

Those that think it's not a big deal or its a good think are the ones that can't see the big picture.
This is another example of the US kowtowing to Mexicans and their language instead of them trying to learn English (our language).

Border, Language and Culture.

Their busy trying to break the borders, changing our culture and now the language....then there is no nation.

When will this happen? maybe 20 to 50 years from now or a civil war.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:34 PM

16,547 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So it was and is it will be in the future. parts of the US have had residents speaking languages other then English for longer than we have been a country. Holding political debates in Spanish is an excellent way for politicians to reach their constituents. I am not threatened by this but encouraged for our future.
I beg to differ with you.
Most immigrants who came to this country that spoke a different language wanted to assimilate. Whether it be the Germans, Polish, Irish, Italians, etc., they decided they wanted to be full fledged Americans and made sure their children not only spoke the native tongue, but also gave them American names. That is one of the reasons they have been successful in this country.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I beg to differ with you.
Most immigrants who came to this country that spoke a different language wanted to assimilate. Whether it be the Germans, Polish, Irish, Italians, etc., they decided they wanted to be full fledged Americans and made sure their children not only spoke the native tongue, but also gave them American names. That is one of the reasons they have been successful in this country.
Agreed. But I'm not worried. If it is one thing we are very good at, it is adapting.

[the weak and those unwilling to adapt will die]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies