Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Then why are so many Chinese leaving this prosperous paradise to work for similar wages in Chinese restaurants in the US?

Chinatown
(1) Most of them came here in the 1990s, not in recent years (after 2010). Have you heard about Chinese illegal immigrants in recent years? Not much.
(2) Their goal is to stay in the US and eventually own a restaurant. Most Chinese restaurants are run by those people.
(3) There are 1.3 billion Chinese and you can always find someone who wants to go to the moon from there. What % of them came to the US illegally? You may compare the figure with other developing countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
China's problems and outlook is quite a bit more dire than America. Their pollution is simply out of control, they have a graying demographic issue, and still suppress free speech in a world of social media. We have our problems here in the US but they aren't of that magnitude.

China's next goal is to start filling all the retail, residential, and office space they built in the dozens of cities that sprung up over the last decade and a half, while getting sacrificing growth and cleaning up the monstrous pollution issue.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:28 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
When have I ever said it doesn't count? The fact is different groups score differently, but all of the tested groups have shown improvement, so you can't say that the schools are performing worse. Even if white kids scored as high as Asian kids you would still have a declining national average because Hispanic kids are still about 100-130 points below whites/Asians and they are the growing demographic.
What do you think should be done about this? Should the US devote a greater share of its resources to bring those group up to par or should they let them rot?

Old 10-09-2014, 11:30 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The one simple fact that China will have so many consuming people and households, means that they will be a huge economic powerhouse in the not too distant future. If their central command doesn't screw up. A big if. IMO I give them on the order of a 10-25 year time frame.

China is so large that if its consumption per capita reached our own they would consume every resource available in this world at the present time so there would be nothing left for the USA, The European Union, Japan, Korea, India, The rest of Asia, Australia, The rest of The Pacific, The Middle East, Africa and Latin America. All the Oil Food, Materials, Wood and goods and services would all have to go to China with virtually nothing left to meet the needs of the other nearly 8 billion people on this globe. They would be the equivalent of 5-6 United States gobbling up everything and generating all the pollution we do multiplied by 5. Would we or any othr nation tolerate this? I don't think so.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:21 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Well that was quick.

China Overtakes US As World's Largest Economy - Business Insider

This was interesting:

More people in China have a higher quality of life than in the US.
Amazing.

Let's all blame Obama.

Thank you Bill Clinton. Oddly, nearly every liberal LOVES Clinton for Nafta and China most favored nation trade status, even though both policies gutted the middle class and the manufacturing sector.

I guess libs don't read or have very short memories. They will forget about Obama as well in a few years and remember him as a great president.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:42 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Thank you Bill Clinton. Oddly, nearly every liberal LOVES Clinton for Nafta and China most favored nation trade status, even though both policies gutted the middle class and the manufacturing sector.

I guess libs don't read or have very short memories. They will forget about Obama as well in a few years and remember him as a great president.

Clinton just 'RENEWED' their MFN,he was NOT the one who originally granted it to China!
Wasn't Reagan the one who was all kissy-kissy with all the commies? China AND Russia.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:53 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
China is so large that if its consumption per capita reached our own they would consume every resource available in this world at the present time so there would be nothing left for the USA, The European Union, Japan, Korea, India, The rest of Asia, Australia, The rest of The Pacific, The Middle East, Africa and Latin America. All the Oil Food, Materials, Wood and goods and services would all have to go to China with virtually nothing left to meet the needs of the other nearly 8 billion people on this globe. They would be the equivalent of 5-6 United States gobbling up everything and generating all the pollution we do multiplied by 5. Would we or any othr nation tolerate this? I don't think so.
You're talking about a huge amounts of new business, international trade, and money to be made this century. Hot diggity!

Old 10-10-2014, 08:55 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
I vote China take on the role of world police, they can afford it.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:40 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
From China and international balance of trade expert Michael Pettis:

FSN: Just recently, the World Bank said that China’s economy could overtake the US in size as early as this year. Given your outlook, do you think China is set to become the world’s largest economy?

Pettis: "If it does it'll be temporary and then it'll fall back behind again. My skepticism about the [World Bank’s] PPP analysis—the purchasing power parity analysis—is that it really isn't meaningful at all except for economies that are comparable. And, in fact, generally comparing US GDP with China's GDP is not very meaningful because their economies are so different. So, if you were trying to compare the US and Canada, it makes sense because they are structured in very similar ways…but when you do a PPP analysis on China…the implicit assumption there, which is never explicitly stated, is that China's GDP is comparable to US GDP. In other words, the US constructs its GDP in a way that is broadly similar to what is happening in China, but…China's GDP is constructed very differently because of the failure to recognize bad debt. […] So I would argue that if you really want to compare the two you should adjust China's GDP not just for price differentials but also for the different way in which debt is being treated. And if you were to do that my suspicion is that you would probably want to reduce China's GDP numbers by anywhere from 20-30% to account for all this unrecognizable bad debt. So my big problem with the PPP study is that it makes a very powerful hidden assumption, and that assumption is that the two economies are broadly similar in the way they measure economic activity, but…that's wrong—they’re not. They're quite different and that's why the PPP comparison doesn't, to me, make any sense at all."

Stocks Slide as Volatility Returns; Is China Now the World's Largest Economy? | Cris Sheridan | FINANCIAL SENSE

Old 10-10-2014, 10:51 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I vote China take on the role of world police, they can afford it.
First thing they can do to become the world police is to expel the US from the Western Pacific and bring Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines into its orbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies