Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:35 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Why is VTHokieFan always on these gay issue threads?
Because it's the prominent issue for Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not going to read through this so I may be repeating a point already made. They were not anti-gay. They were by and large anti-gay marriage. Most knew it wasn't a principled position but rather one they had to take at the time to get elected.
"Sorry to trample on your civil liberties. I like you, I really do. But I just have to win this election rather than stand up for you. Sorry."

Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
"Sorry to trample on your civil liberties. I like you, I really do. But I just have to win this election rather than stand up for you. Sorry."
Yes, basically. Republicans have no right to complain though what with their trampling of civil liberties and it being a principled position. They just claim it isn't.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Why are you more concerned about the decade-old actions of one political party but not concerned with the current actions of another on the very same topic?
I agree, except I go back 50-400 years. Why would I be more concerned about Slavery, Jim Crow and Civil Rights when TODAY black on white crime is rampant and continues to be a problem?

I like the way you think, focus on today.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Why were Democrats so fiercely anti-gay as little as 10 years ago?
Because there are/were religious conservatives among them, too, I'd imagine. Maybe they migrated en mass to the GOP. Or were silenced...

[guessing]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 10-08-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 01:42 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times
I doubt many Democrats were anti-gay as much as they thought more along the lines of...meh it's such a small percentage of the population why even worry about it? But, it's different now since it is THE ISSUE OF OUR TIME!!!!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, basically. Republicans have no right to complain though what with their trampling of civil liberties and it being a principled position. They just claim it isn't.
Basically, here is my point:

The GOP gets hammered for being anti-gay. And rightly so.

The Democrats get some sort of a pass because they've "evolved" on the issue. Yet as a group, they have made zero acknowledgement that at least SOME Democrats might have been involved, as recently as a decade ago, in the anti-gay marriage movement.

I want to call the attention that as a voting bloc, Dems are maybe like 10 years ahead of the GOP on gay marriage. That's it.

There are obviously people alive today whose marriage rights Democrats were responsible for violating. These Democrats (the majority of Democrats as recently as a decade ago) don't deserve a free pass despite that THEY changed their views. Just changing your views isn't an apology. Democrats need to take responsibility for their actions and recognize Democrats were apart of the problem up until very recently.

You say the GOP is insane and bigoted for being anti-gay marriage. At one time, as recently as 1996, the majority of Democrats voted for DADT and DOMA. Were they insane and bigoted too? Do you not see the hypocrisy in your actions? You should engage with anti-gay GOPers in a spirit of charity, rather than the "nanny nanny boo boo my side won" crap that's been coming out of the left.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:50 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
I doubt many Democrats were anti-gay as much as they thought more along the lines of...meh it's such a small percentage of the population why even worry about it? But, it's different now since it is THE ISSUE OF OUR TIME!!!!
Not really the issue of our time, more like a movement to getting gays the same rights and benefits enjoyed by the rest of America, something the Dems tend to agree with and Cons not so much, hence the support most give to the Dems over the GOP. Some here can whine about the DNC owes gays an apology for their past deeds, what is interesting that those same people demanding the apology belong to a Party that is still working on the list of things they need to apology to gays for.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:51 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
I see that the process of Republicans claiming that they were always the true supporters of equal rights has already begun.

They opposed it at every turn and now that there's some acceptance that opposition is a lost cause the narrative has changed from "We can't allow it!" to "It was never that important." That has now shifted to "Democrats were opposed to gay marriage." By the 2016 election it'll be "Republicans were always for equal rights and therefore equal marriage rights."

Old 10-08-2014, 01:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
At least Democrats are apologizing, where is the apologies from the Republicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies