Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 09:41 AM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Ah, more leftist bigotry against the south.
Here is the question. Can you refute the fact that based on the categories noted, those particular states rank very low?

BTW, I live in Georgia and I have an idea of what it's like to be here.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:47 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,327,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Interesting how the "Household disposable income per capita" measure isn't adjusted with the Regional Price Parity that reflects the cost of goods/services relative to that market. The reason it wasn't included is once cost of living is adjusted, things change quite dramatically.

Example: Mississippi has an unadjusted household disposable income of $23,957, but the Bureau of Economic Analysis says Mississippi has a Regional Price Parity index of 85.4, so $23,957/0.854 = $28,054.

I don't feel like crunching every state, but the total difference in household disposable incomes shrinks by 27% when you adjust for cost of living. Link: Which States' Residents Have the Most Cash to Spend?

That's just the OECD's flawed income number. Don't even get me started on mortality, since the US defines all sorts of mortality stats different than other OECD countries. Here's a quick primer on that: US health care: A reality check on cross-country comparisons - Health - AEI

And I love this one about infant mortality:

How each country reports has as much to do with mortality as actual death.

Basically, "studies" like this are crude, blunt tools that use really sloppy analysis and miss a ton of relevant data to draw really bad conclusions.
W00t CT ranked #1. Can't wait to go home! :-)

Old 10-09-2014, 09:48 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,177,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Also listed the 10 Best States to live. Instead of starting a new thead, decided to put that here

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-sta...170446095.html

10. Wisconsin
9. Washington
8. Maine
7. Massachusetts
6. Colorado
5. North Dakota
4. Iowa
3. Vermont
2. Minnesota
1. New Hampshire
These are basically the "whitest" states. If one doesn't care about living around minorities and a little crime, then these states are actually the worst places to live simply because of the weather. If California or Florida had the same demographics of these states, there would be no debate. California used to be paradise 50 years ago.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:52 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,829,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

The south can be a great place to live. I lived in southern New Mexico and I loved it. The weather was perfect, cost of living was low, people were very friendly.
But, and it is a very big but, there is very little opportunity there, particularly for young people. While smart kids do okay, the reality is that the overall education system leaves a lot to be desired. The teen pregnancy rates are through the roof (still) as is food stamp use. There are no jobs.

I had to leave the state to find a decent-paying job and based on recent numbers, I know that I am not alone.
The numbers are what the numbers are.
That's precisely why I didn't move to NM until I retired. Few jobs (unless government, public sector, etc.) and a fraction of the income that can be earned elsewhere.

Great weather, stunning scenery and some nice people. BUT......the state appears to be much more interested in creating another monument/scenery site than in encouraging business. NM has never been a business-friendly state.

I miss the weather like crazy, but have a similar climate back here at home, so that's OK.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:55 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,390,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
These are basically the "whitest" states. If one doesn't care about living around minorities and a little crime, then these states are actually the worst places to live simply because of the weather. If California or Florida had the same demographics of these states, there would be no debate. California used to be paradise 50 years ago.
Ohh, the tired race line. Minorities ruin everything! If all white people can live together the world would be a better place.

Those states have the highest rankings because minorities are systematically oppressed socially and economically. The only state on that list with a significant minority population is Wisconsin, which is shifting further to the right to oppress blacks in Milwaukee.

Everything in America regarding blacks in general ties back to slavery and Jim Crow. Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York won't make that list ever due to high post-Jim Crow migration for industrial jobs in the mid 1900s. Blacks never migrated in any significant quantities to those other nine states. Therefore, the socioeconomic discrepancies are less perverse.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:59 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is the question. Can you refute the fact that based on the categories noted, those particular states rank very low?

BTW, I live in Georgia and I have an idea of what it's like to be here.
No, because it's data. But I am refuting that those 10 states are the absolute worst 10 states to live in.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,003,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yes, it's hotter than hell with a racial caste system that disenfranchises minorities and poor people. It is also overly religious, physically unhealthy, and too car-centric.
Geez, I felt that way when I lived in Las Vegas

I have to say, with the exception of New Mexico, I'm glad all the Western places I lived were temporary.
It's just not my scene, long term - a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 AM

13,853 posts, read 5,567,979 times
Quote:
The south is a hellhole.
Really? The Southeastern states have 19 of Sperling-Forbes Top 97 Opportunity Cities. Just Al, FL, GA, LA and MS. 10% of the states, 19.5% of the best opportunities? If I throw TX in then 6 states end up with 33 of 97 best opportunity cities.

I don't know...seems like all is not so bad with the Southeast US.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:06 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,177,039 times
Quote:
Ohh, the tired race line. Minorities ruin everything! If all white people can live together the world would be a better place.

Those states have the highest rankings because minorities are systematically oppressed socially and economically. The only state on that list with a significant minority population is Wisconsin, which is shifting further to the right to oppress blacks in Milwaukee.

Everything in America regarding blacks in general ties back to slavery and Jim Crow. Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York won't make that list ever due to high post-Jim Crow migration for industrial jobs in the mid 1900s. Blacks never migrated in any significant quantities to those other nine states. Therefore, the socioeconomic discrepancies are less perverse.
You missed the point

California and Florida suck because of illegal immigration. It has nothing to do with black people. I'm not racist or Conservative, but these are facts. You can throw Texas in with that list of too.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,516,082 times
NH and VT keep showing up on all the top lists - under most categories, I guess except for weather - which is subjective.

Interesting.

Those 2 states seem to capture the best of what it means to actually be FREE.

Maybe I should look into relocating, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.