Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 10:10 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Those states have the highest rankings because minorities are systematically oppressed socially and economically.
Prove this claim. If the oppression is systematic, then it is institutionalized within the law. Show me the state laws of AL, FL, GA, LA and MS that are designed to systematically (as in, due to the system) oppress minorities. By all means, link me up some proof.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
NH and VT keep showing up on all the top lists - under most categories, I guess except for weather - which is subjective.

Interesting.

Those 2 states seem to capture the best of what it means to actually be FREE.

Maybe I should look into relocating, again.
New Hampshire always shows up in great places to live lists. Higher cost of living than average, but besides that and snow, not much to not like about NH.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:16 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
New Hampshire always shows up in great places to live lists. Higher cost of living than average, but besides that and snow, not much to not like about NH.
why is that? if you stick to the southern part of the state, within an hour to Boston - culture, restaurant scene, major airport, etc, it wouldn't feel so remote.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:19 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
No, because it's data. But I am refuting that those 10 states are the absolute worst 10 states to live in.
Well, decent education, a healthy environment, low crime, decent infrastructure, they are important things to have.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
why is that? if you stick to the southern part of the state, within an hour to Boston - culture, restaurant scene, major airport, etc, it wouldn't feel so remote.
I never said anything about remote, and was agreeing that it's a nice place to live. There's not much to not like about NH, and I like snow. So really, a slightly higher than average cost of living is about the only thing that would be a negative to me, and it's really not too negative.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-sta...164909712.html

10. GA
9. NM
8. LA
7. SC
6. OK
5. TN
4. WV
3. AR
2. AL
1. MS

Methodology: education, jobs, income, safety, health/mortality rate, environment, civic engagement, accessibility to services and housing.
So basically, what this article and the following quote therefrom is saying is...."Whether it be health, education, environment, or accessibility to services, quality of life is determined by how much responsibility for your well being can be removed from YOU and placed on someone else's (ostensibly the government's) shoulders".

Quote from the article: Monica Brezzi, author of the report and head of regional statistics at the OECD, told 24/7 Wall St. considering different dimensions of well-being at the regional level provides a way to identify “where are the major needs where policies can intervene.” Brezzi said that, in some cases, correcting one truly deficient measure can, in turn, lead to better results in others.

Um. That's not my definition of quality of life.

My definition of quality of life is A) How much freedom do I have to do whatever I want and B) how much of my hard-earned money do I get to keep for A) above?

Talk to me about the states with the lowest taxes, no income tax, no personal taxes, minimal interference in building codes, minimal regulation with regard to small businesses, minimal laws with respect to such things as homeschooling, zoning and other regulations, etc. In other words, in my book FREEDOM=QUALITY OF LIFE.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The south is a hellhole.
I guess it depends on what you like.

Personally, I love the south. Notwithstanding it's best feature - that it rarely snows, the south is full of the kindest, nicest people on earth - AND by far, the best food, (and tea). The rural south is so laid back and easy going - I cannot speak for the big cities which are much the same everywhere. But I will take the South any day.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-09-2014, 10:31 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, decent education, a healthy environment, low crime, decent infrastructure, they are important things to have.
A "healthy environment" there you go again with vagueness.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:33 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You know, I bet those folks up in the Dakota's are very happy. A lot less people, and
when it gets so cold it doesn't even snow, they can cuddle And, they apparently have awesome pheasant/quail hunting, if you are into that sort of thing. I lived in CO and I hated it. Not because I hate mountains but I just didn't like the vibe and they really don't know how to cook in MOST restaurants. Montana, which I also have been, is one of those states IMO, you got to be from to want to live there. Iowa has more pigs than people and maybe that's a good thing Vermont is so pretty, and I like it's political vibe, I've often thought of moving there some day.

But Nebraska, MN, WA - my mind just goes meh. Hawaii too, just doesn't do anything for me.

Your right, it's all subjective.
Lots of people in the Dakotas are truly unhappy, but just feel kind of stuck there. I am originally from there, most of my family still lives there (in eastern South Dakota). Many would move away to somewhere more interesting/exciting with better scenery and better weather if they could, but it's kind of that small town mentality of not feeling it's even possible to pick up and move somewhere else.

That is of course not representative of EVERYONE there, but there are a LOT of people who feel this way.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:35 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I guess it depends on what you like.

Personally, I love the south. Notwithstanding it's best feature - that it rarely snows, the south is full of the kindest, nicest people on earth - AND by far, the best food, (and tea). The rural south is so laid back and easy going - I cannot speak for the big cities which are much the same everywhere. But I will take the South any day.

20yrsinBranson
Yep! If you're white and Christian! Don't think a lesbian black atheist would fair too well lol ESPECIALLY if she wants to run for office!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies