Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 12:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Adding to the low quality of life in Oklahoma is the stress from the daily earthquakes.
That just blows me away - earthquakes in Oklahoma. My brother lived in Tulsa a while back.
A very, very, I mean very wild town I think they have a drinking problem

Old 10-09-2014, 01:01 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, 24th Amendment, etc are all 50 years old. It's 2014, not 1964, nor 1864.
Irrelevant. The problems persist today. They have persisted in the South decades.

Quote:
You still have not proven a thing about "systematic" oppression in the southern states, and "everyone knows" is not tangible proof that laws exist to systematically oppress minorities. Statistical outcomes also have no bearing, as corollary does not equal causation. You cannot prove discriminatory intent, such as would exist with systematic oppression, by only focusing on outcomes and never controlling, categorizing and detailing all of the input factors.
Let me repeat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
If you think oppression needs to be written into a law, there is no point in bothering to discuss this with you.
If you are going to retreat into your ideological bubble thinking that a law is the only way to oppress people, there is no reasoning with you.

Quote:
You are essentially making a blanket accusation against every non-minority (re: white) person in what, 8 or 9 states, that they are oppressive racial bigots. Sorry, on a message board where people come to learn about different cities, someone in the politics/controversy section might want to have some tangible evidence other than bumper sticker race baiting before negatively stereotyping roughly a quarter of the United States.
Actually I never said anything of the such. Feel free to "prove" that one.

Quote:
So show me proof. If you want to use outcomes, then give me all the relevant inputs to those outcomes, so we can properly evaluate the null hypothesis to any sort of confidence. Otherwise, withdraw or admit you're giving your opinion, which is totally subjective and anecdotal.

The good folks of our southeastern states await your reply, which I fear will be similarly cowardly and misinformed as the ones preceding it.
I already did. You are talking yourself in a circle:
Quote:
Look at the discrepancy of opportunity between poor and wealth in the South. Everyone knows poor in the South especially is almost exclusively synonymous with race.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Okay Most folks think they are "stuck" wherever they are originally from and then they
move or travel to find that other utopia.

In my situation, I crave snow cause I never get any. When planning family vacations I'm always the one who wants to go to Bavaria
I hate snow. Last year, I was looking forward to going out of town to a Christmas party. But called it off, because it had snowed, and the roads were too slick for my car.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:03 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I hate snow. Last year, I was looking forward to going out of town to a Christmas party. But called it off, because it had snowed, and the roads were too slick for my car.
Christmas and snow go together :-)

What a shame!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
So what is it synonymous with up north?
Things are much more segregated up north now than they are down south NOW.

Milwaukee

"The result of this hypersegregation is that those residents who are the least affluent receive the least exposure to the quality of life and resources available to the most affluent of residents. In terms of its minority population and its level of segregation, Milwaukee has all five dimensions."

The Nation's Most Segregated Schools Aren't Where You'd Think They'd Be

"The Civil Rights Project considers 73 percent of New York City charters to be "apartheid schools," in which less than 1 percent of students are white, and 90 percent were "intensely segregated."
I can also refer you to the same report.

Yes, Milwaukee is quite segregated and equal opportunity for minorities is trending worse. Thank you Scott Walker!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:04 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Since I refuse to let this die, here's one for Opin_Yunated to mull over in relation to the study from Chetty, et al: City Data - Top 101 cities with highest percentage of single parent households

Take a look and see how that compares to your map of economic mobility. Across multiple studies, multiple decades of research, etc, the single greatest statistical corollary with negative economic outcomes is the single parent household.

It's the individual variable that is easily identified yet nobody likes to admit to. Yes, the Southeast is by far the leader in single parent households, but that is not systematic oppression by the state, it is a preponderance of an individual activity within the state. Now, break that down by race: Children in single-parent families by race

Not the most pleasant collection of data, but certainly a lot more informative on explaining lower transgenerational income mobility in the Southeast than blanket accusations that the Southeast systematically oppresses minorities. I am not saying that single parent households are THE factor, nor the only factor that can explain the Chetty et al study, but at least I am willing to examine inputs along with outputs before I label a quarter of the country a bunch of racist devils.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Since I refuse to let this die, here's one for Opin_Yunated to mull over in relation to the study from Chetty, et al: City Data - Top 101 cities with highest percentage of single parent households

Take a look and see how that compares to your map of economic mobility. Across multiple studies, multiple decades of research, etc, the single greatest statistical corollary with negative economic outcomes is the single parent household.

It's the individual variable that is easily identified yet nobody likes to admit to. Yes, the Southeast is by far the leader in single parent households, but that is not systematic oppression by the state, it is a preponderance of an individual activity within the state. Now, break that down by race: Children in single-parent families by race

Not the most pleasant collection of data, but certainly a lot more informative on explaining lower transgenerational income mobility in the Southeast than blanket accusations that the Southeast systematically oppresses minorities. I am not saying that single parent households are THE factor, nor the only factor that can explain the Chetty et al study, but at least I am willing to examine inputs along with outputs before I label a quarter of the country a bunch of racist devils.
Not at all. Yes, the single parent household is the single most important variable for lower transgenerational mobility.

Now, let's put our thinking caps on:

What group of people is most likely to be arrested and incarcerated?
What group of people is most likely to be sentenced to harsher sentences than whites for the same crimes?
What group of people is less likely to be employed with or even without a criminal record?

If a <insert this mysterious demographic> is more likely to be shipped off to prison and trapped in a life of low / no employment, does that family unit suffer?

Thank you for proving my point so eloquently.

Laughing all the way to the bank

Mircea-style

Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Actually I never said anything of the such. Feel free to "prove" that one.
your own words, you said the southern states systematically oppress minorities. No other qualifiers. That necessarily means that every non-minority person in the southern states is part of an institutional system of oppression. No other way to parse your own words. Your claim used the word systematic.

And all you've shown is outcomes. You have never shown me equality of inputs such that unequal outcomes can only be attributed to racism within the state institutions and the white population, which is what needs to be proven for "systematic oppression" to have any merit whatsoever.

Racial oppression is a crime that requires intent. You are not only accusing the southern states of that crime and that intent, you are claiming it is part of the system in those states. This means those states are designed, set up for, or somehow managed to make this crime and intent manifested towards the results we see.

It's a specious, insulting and slanderous claim. You cannot prove it, and you'll continue insulting me until I leave you alone. Thing is, I won't. You cannot accuse an entire region of the country, and a massive chunk of population of something as serious as SYSTEMATIC racial oppression and fall back on one graph and "everyone knows" nonsense. Sorry, not letting you off the hook. You liberal welfare statists are going to have learn how proving a null hypothesis works, and one studied outcome with no mention or control of inputs is not sufficient evidence to level such a charge/accusation as yours.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Yes, Milwaukee is quite segregated and equal opportunity for minorities is trending worse. Thank you Scott Walker!
So this is something that has popped up since Scott Walker took office?
Are you blaming Detroit and Chicago on Walker too

I think the Midwest has always been segregated:

Martin Luther King Jr. in Chicago - Chicago Tribune

"As King marched, someone hurled a stone. It struck King on the head. Stunned, he fell to one knee. He stayed on the ground for several seconds. As he rose, aides and bodyguards surrounded him to protect him from the rocks, bottles and firecrackers that rained down on the demonstrators. King was one of 30 people who were injured.

"I have seen many demonstrations in the South, but I have never seen anything so hostile and so hateful as I've seen here today," - Martin Luther King

King brought his protest movement north in 1966 to take on black urban problems, especially segregation. Chicago seemed like the perfect battleground."

I don't think it has changed much, do you?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
So this is something that has popped up since Scott Walker took office?
Are you blaming Detroit and Chicago on Walker too

I think the Midwest has always been segregated:

Martin Luther King Jr. in Chicago - Chicago Tribune

"As King marched, someone hurled a stone. It struck King on the head. Stunned, he fell to one knee. He stayed on the ground for several seconds. As he rose, aides and bodyguards surrounded him to protect him from the rocks, bottles and firecrackers that rained down on the demonstrators. King was one of 30 people who were injured.

"I have seen many demonstrations in the South, but I have never seen anything so hostile and so hateful as I've seen here today," - Martin Luther King

King brought his protest movement north in 1966 to take on black urban problems, especially segregation. Chicago seemed like the perfect battleground."

I don't think it has changed much, do you?
The segregation hasn't. Chicago was the most segregated city in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies