Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should welfare recipients be drug tested?
yes 101 74.81%
no 34 25.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,868,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
You're opposed to companies keeping money that they earned?
No that's taxation my friend not welfare. I'm oppose to the gov't giving money through subsidies to corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:48 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,108,111 times
I voted YES. Many of us are subject to be tested so why shouldn't they be? I think it is a small inconvenience to endure.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:11 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,708,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
No that's taxation my friend not welfare. I'm oppose to the gov't giving money through subsidies to corporations.
"Corporate welfare" also includes tax breaks. While I would oppose the government simply giving money to corporations in most cases, I can't think of a tax cut or "break" that I would oppose, whether it's for corporations or individuals.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:11 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,868,713 times
Quote:
"Corporate welfare" also includes tax breaks. While I would oppose the government simply giving money to corporations in most cases, I can't think of a tax cut or "break" that I would oppose, whether it's for corporations or individuals.
I have to agree with you on that.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:33 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,884,936 times
Quote:
Those people you mentioned are all contributing to society, whereas a welfare recipient is not. If you can be a productive member of society on drugs, I don't care. If you are just a drain on society and on drugs, we have a problem.

On a sidenote, I don't believe that government should be in the business of educating our children, and I find it odd that you included "corporate welfare" here...how is a company keeping more of their money the same as someone producing nothing, yet receiving something?
You do realize that every single one of the 50 states has a work requirement for most everyone recieving welfare.. right? Just because they are working full time and STILL have an income low enough to qualify for aid does NOT mean that they are not contributing to society or not working... does it?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:40 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,884,936 times
And the drug tests.... Would they be provided at home (state would pay a qualified home visiting tester), on the job site (again, by a visiting agent), or would the participant be required to travel to a medical facility or even on-site at the welfare office? Would you excuse the time neccesary for testing out of their required 40 hour week, and/or provide transportation for them to get there (I live an hour from the nearest DHHS office and regional health center- both located in our county seat, and could see constant travel there as a problem for some, eithre due to lost wage time or increased travel costs).

Would it be a one-time testing or would it be weekly, monthly, etc?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:51 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,708,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
You do realize that every single one of the 50 states has a work requirement for most everyone recieving welfare.. right? Just because they are working full time and STILL have an income low enough to qualify for aid does NOT mean that they are not contributing to society or not working... does it?
A work requirement...as in, must be trying to look for work, at least? Yeah, I've seen that when I was managing a store at the mall. Someone walks in and says "you hiring?" I say no, yes, here's an app, whatever. They say, "can you sign this paper then?". They were not really interested in the job...they were just trying to satisfy the legal requirements by "looking for work".

And if you are working full time, and not a student or something, and still making so little money that you need public assistance, then no, you are not contributing very much to society.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,651,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Could you cite any of these Congressmen and what they actually said? It is true that one does not have a legally enforceable right to SS benefits simply by virtue of having paid into the system, but it is hardly true that the system was not intended to pay benefits, and it is clearly untrue that it doesn't...
Cannot remember the names other then the rep from New York who is ahead of the Dem finance right now I believe. Cannot remember his name but he has discussed this on several talk shows and was the first that made me think WHAT?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,134,253 times
Quote:
And if you are working full time, and not a student or something, and still making so little money that you need public assistance, then no, you are not contributing very much to society.
"Entry level" management (such as fast food and some retail) pay pittance wages because they know they can. In fact, many starter jobs pay pittance because they know the government will subsidize if they pay under a certain amount. Boohoo if you feel that they aren't "contributing very much to society".

I'm pretty sure if every cashier quit their job tomorrow, we'd be screwed.

As far as health insurance, I actually like plans like FAMIS - Family Access to Medical Insurance Security. It's an insurance where you pay deductibles, co-pays, and such - except at a MUCH lower price than what the private sector costs.

It's considered part of the "welfare bundle" that is actually better than Medicaid. Less overhead, too.

Back to the topic of drug testing! Many welfare recipients are on drugs. Many non-welfare recipients are on drugs.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,651,609 times
What do we have confused here. Most people who apply for a job anymore have to get a drug test, those who have been with our company for a period of time get it randomly.
If you are going to take benefits from the country then the country should step in and lead you the right direction away from the free benefits. If you are using drugs and found to be using them and are on welfare how are you ever suppose to get off of welfare doing drugs.
It should be a policy that welfare is earned and not given. What is so wrong with people being held accoutable? I am being held accountable on my job and get a random drug test. If I fail the test, see ya! Gone, no money, no benfits and there goes my retirement.
They should be held to the highest of standards.
Anyone ever heard the saying that if you continue to help those who wont help themselves they will never again be accountable for themselves.

As far as the free college girl I spoke of earlier, yes, she gets an actual check and yes she uses it the live on during the quarter after she buys used ragged books and only takes about half the classes. She tells me there is no checking in on her and noone has ever asked her why it has taken her years and still no degree.
She would not tell me who or what program it is when I asked. So, I did ask her if it is free who do you think is paying for it? Her answer...... I dont know and dont care as long as I get paid to go to college. My response is People like me is paying for it and you have nothing to show for using my money.
End of coversation real quick.

This is the kind of welfare nation we have become, she thinks she has a right to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies