Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 09:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
So you're saying that smart people are self serving?
No I DID NOT SAY THAT!

Try READING what I said. It is in writing and nowhere are the words "self serving" used!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This is very true. I do think it takes more intelligence to understand a bigger picture. Less intelligent people are going to go along with a leader without more questioning. I don't blame these conservatives to a degree because they aren't capable of seeing the world. It is too vast. They can understand their job and what they eat and maybe their neighborhood, but you get them looking at another country, forget it. They just glaze over. It isn't their fault in a way.
This entire post is kind of unintentional hilarity on your part, given the current administration's abject failure on the international scene. Based on performance over the past six years, the Obama administration has been complete babes in the wood when facing the Russians, the Chinese, and radical Arabs. Total, absolute cluelessness. Remember when the world was complaining about the 'cowboy' mentality of the Bush administration? Now a lot of them are looking back on that as the good old days.

And, lest we forget, let's look at the current Ebola crisis. Mind you, the Ebola outbreak has been going on for months now in West Africa. What precautions has the current administration put in place for screening at the borders, public health, assisting developing countries, and travel restrictions? Nothing. Nada. The entire thing has taken the White House by complete surprise, even though this has been in the news for quite some time. Jeez, I had many, many complaints about Bush, but his administration moved heaven and earth to curb AIDS in Africa. Which administration was the more far-sighted one?

Yet people still continue to back this guy to the hilt despite a catastrophic performance on the international scene. Hell, even Joe Biden talked about how the world appeared to be fraying at the edges last week. Um, Joe, isn't your administration supposed to be making sure that doesn't happen?

In short, liberals are just as stupid as conservatives, chiefly because they surrender common sense and pragmatism to whatever goofy ideology they follow. And the fact that you're still labeling yourself as a liberal, despite some serious questions about your favored ideology in action, means that you shouldn't feel your intelligence is superior to anyone. Wishing that the world worked a certain way isn't a sign of intelligence at all.

Since this is the Psychology forum, I guess we should be asking this question instead: Why do people continue to hold fast to a political ideology, conservative or liberal, despite its demonstrable failures over the course of several decades? I mean, didn't Einstein once state the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-12-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 10:00 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Wow. I realize this is your honest opinion, slingshot. But this just goes to show how deep is the socioeconomic-political divide in the US, because I consider myself slightly left of center and truly perceive the exact opposite.

So, please help me understand. Can you give a couple of examples to illustrate your point here?
Nothing earthshattering here. Just 71 years of most of my friends being liberal. As for myself, I have many liberal thoughts and many conservative ones as well. All I have to do is listen to the conversations of the folks that are mainly liberal. When they talk it's sounds like they follow the liberal ideals that will satisfy their personal agendas, whereas when I listen to conservative folks they seem to be following agendas that will benefit the entire country. I have nothing other than personal observations to go on.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:11 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Why are liberals more intelligent than conservatives?
They're not.

They only loudly proclaim that they are.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin15776 View Post
I know plenty of liberals who blindly follow the left.
Just to be clear, it goes both ways. There are plenty of conservatives that blindly follow the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Stereotypes of any group of people is wrong. Not all conservatives are racist or listen to Rush Limbaugh. I will state I am a registered democrat and I really get annoyed with democrats who believe they are oh so intelligent. In fact many are pseudo intellectuals.
Rush Limbaugh is a very good example. On the other side of the same coin is Rachel Maddow. When she talks politics, she spews hate just like Limbaugh. Far left liberals don't see it because they agree with her. Just like far right conservatives agree with Limbaugh. I've listened to them both make incendiary remarks that are rife with generalizations and twisted information. I've also seen them both get it right. Those two entertainers were hired to be that way and are part and parcel with the division and hatred going on in this country's political arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

In short, liberals are just as stupid as conservatives, chiefly because they surrender common sense and pragmatism to whatever goofy ideology they follow.
^This.

This premise of this thread is based on hate and I cannot believe it is tolerated by CD. Especially when I've seen people's hands slapped for far less.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
You definitely have that backward.
Either way, both are simplistic at best. The left and right comes down to individualism vs. collectivism. Both have the "we" in mind; the argument is about which route gives the greatest benefit to society as a whole.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
No I DID NOT SAY THAT!

Try READING what I said. It is in writing and nowhere are the words "self serving" used!
You implied it.

Personally, I think it's smarter to take care of yourself.

The real difference between liberals and conservatives is that liberals want big government to take care of everyone while conservatives want to take care of themselves and for a smaller government to take care of those who can't. We're not into helping those who just don't bother. They made their bed. Smaller government means better control over who gets help.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:57 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin15776 View Post
I know plenty of liberals who blindly follow the left.
I'm not trying to single you out here because there are countless other similar posts all over this board, but it seems more likely that you assume they're blindly following the left because of your need to see anyone who disagrees with you as less of an individual.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Nothing earthshattering here. Just 71 years of most of my friends being liberal. As for myself, I have many liberal thoughts and many conservative ones as well. All I have to do is listen to the conversations of the folks that are mainly liberal. When they talk it's sounds like they follow the liberal ideals that will satisfy their personal agendas, whereas when I listen to conservative folks they seem to be following agendas that will benefit the entire country. I have nothing other than personal observations to go on.
The problem with personal observations is that it calls into question whether or not your personal beliefs influence how you perceive things. And from your ridiculously shallow understanding of politics, it also seems really obvious that they do.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You implied it.

Personally, I think it's smarter to take care of yourself.

The real difference between liberals and conservatives is that liberals want big government to take care of everyone while conservatives want to take care of themselves and for a smaller government to take care of those who can't. We're not into helping those who just don't bother. They made their bed. Smaller government means better control over who gets help.
This is a ridiculously simple way of seeing things. You don't need a big government to help people, you just need a government that prioritizes helping people over things like waging war or policing the streets or putting people in prison or giving money to oil companies.

More of your tax dollars go to helping the rich than helping the poor... liberals want to reverse this. The further left you go, the more you will see people being put ahead of profit, and the further right you go, the more you will see profit being put ahead of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies