Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,090 times

Advertisements

I really have to wonder how many liberals would agree with the views of the study's author on other topics:

He said kill all the feminists and hippies and liberals...
"What can evolutionary psychology tell us about what we as a society can do so as not to repeat the Swedish mistake and make our citizens happy? The best thing to do is to kill all the feminists and hippies and liberals. "

"Forget what feminists, hippies, and liberals have told you in the last half century. They are all lies based on political ideology and conviction, not on science. Contrary to what they may have told you, it is very unlikely that money, promotions, the corner office, social status, and political power will make women happy. Similarly, it is very unlikely that quitting their jobs, dropping out of the rat race, and becoming stay-at-home dads to spend all their times with their children will make men happy."

by Satoshi Kanazawa
How to Be Happy | Psychology Today

He wanted Ann Coulter for President so she could have nuked the Middle East after 9/11...
"Here’s a little thought experiment. Imagine that, on September 11, 2001, when the Twin Towers came down, the President of the United States was not George W. Bush, but Ann Coulter. What would have happened then? On September 12, President Coulter would have ordered the US military forces to drop 35 nuclear bombs throughout the Middle East, killing all of our actual and potential enemy combatants, and their wives and children. On September 13, the war would have been over and won, without a single American life lost.

Yes, we need a woman in the White House, but not the one who’s running."
by Satoshi Kanazawa
Why we are losing this war | Psychology Today

Are All Women Essentially Prostitutes?
"Prostitution is evolutionarily familiar, because mating is evolutionarily familiar and prostitutes (at least the classy ones) are no different from other women, whom men also have to pay – not in cash payments but in dinners and movies, gifts, flowers, chocolates, and motor oil – if they wanted to impress them enough to have sex with them."
by Satoshi Kanazawa
Are All Women Essentially Prostitutes? | Psychology Today

Why are black women ugly?
"Among the many reasons that I detest evolutionary psychology, one has a name: Satoshi Kanazawa. He has a blog on Psychology Today called The Scientific Fundamentalist, and earlier he published this charming article: Why Are Black Women Rated Less Physically Attractive Than Other Women?. Don’t bother trying to follow the link, the article has mysteriously disappeared from the site…although you can still find a copy here, if you really must."
I guess even Psychology Today has limits – Pharyngula

Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Just ran across this thread.

There are intelligent people on both sides. There are stupid people on both sides.

Conservatives are secure within themselves and don't need to diminish others to make them feel good.

Liberals need to put down others to make themselves feel better.

So the question is not - Why are liberals more intelligent than conservatives?

The question is - Why are liberals insecure with themselves?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just ran across this thread.

There are intelligent people on both sides. There are stupid people on both sides.

Conservatives are secure within themselves and don't need to diminish others to make them feel good.

Liberals need to put down others to make themselves feel better.

So the question is not - Why are liberals more intelligent than conservatives?

The question is - Why are liberals insecure with themselves?

Are you absolutely certain about this? Have you read the entire thread? BTW, isn't your post an attempt to diminish liberals?

I'm sure you'll find there are just as many posts by conservatives that try to diminish liberals as there are posts by liberals that try to diminish conservatives. I also notice an increasing number of posts (written by libertarians, presumably) that attempt to diminish both conservatives AND liberals.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:46 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
is anyone really surprised that this post got nasty? On both sides of the fence?

Last edited by kpl1228; 10-14-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,143 times
The basic premise of this question shows such bias that it is hard to take seriously.... in my experience intelligence does not correspond to political affiliation. I suspect that any study showing such a correlation, in either direction, will be found to have significant methodological flaws.

A few potential pitfalls I can think of off the top of my head:
1. Ensuring that political categorization of study subjects is objective.
2. Ensuring that study subjects represent an accurate cross section of society.
3. Ensuring that "intelligent" is adequately defined to include all types - there is book smart, there is street smart, there is the ability to solve problems correctly on the fly, there is the ability to accurately remember details, and many other measures. While a person possessing all or most traits that we associate with intelligence is certainly intelligent, can we objectively say that a person possessing only a few is not?

I think that what a sound study would find is that the most intelligent people are the most open minded - and consequently their political opinions will vary a lot and be subject to swings based on the political winds at any given time.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
is anyone else surprised that this post got nasty? On both sides of the fence?
On a forum like this, not even remotely surprised

Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
is anyone else surprised that this post got nasty? On both sides of the fence?
It is rare when a thread on this forum doesn't get nasty, fyi. Most of them involve blaming liberals for everything that is wrong with the world.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:00 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, if I were insulting you, you'd know it. I am just pointing out to you the blinders that folks such as you have. You basically get your news from those sources that confirm your worldview, rather than think independently and then turn around and trash those with contrary views for their parochialism. That's pretty clear from your arguments. It's like the blind arguing with the blind.

Mind you, I'm arguing with a liberal point of view. But I'm an equal-opportunity skeptic. The entire point of this thread is whether Liberals are more intelligent than conservatives, or vice versa. In truth, neither are very intelligent at all because neither a liberal nor a conservative is truly equipping himself with enough facts to argue his or her position.

Wow, you should run for a political office as you are a jedi master at spinning anything into indecipherable blather.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:01 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
The original study falls squarely into this category:
Lies,
damned lies
and
statistics.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Now you are just being silly. We have people that specialize in blowing things up and killing people that would kill us first as a basic tenet of their religion. I don't have to personally join them, but I am happy to pay them, and that is good enough.

The argument that individuals in a society ALL have to personally serve in the physical defense of that society is ludicrous. Hiring and training a force of destruction and deterrence is a legitimate and rational role for the government of a free society. I am happy to pay my share, and you should be too.

Can you name any other duties the federal government is responsible for - per the Constitution?

How about those they aren't?

The first answer is short and the second could cover pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies