Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:56 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by q123 View Post
The thing is, I don't really even follow the markets, so emotions such as "being left behind" don't play into this for me. I don't expect to retire for at least 30 more years, so in the long term, it hardly matters anyway.
I would just ask you why you invested a couple of weeks ago? If it was simply a matter of your personal money and time frame, then my comment has no bearing. You might even consider your investment a time/market averaging one, which is typically good for longer term diversification.

But timing does matter, and a very big reason why most don't get rich long term in the markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 12:20 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
I don't try to "time" the market, because my investment time frame is over 30 years. Of course, the majority of my account is funded by regular payroll deductions, but I do on occasion make one time contributions outside of that to my various accounts. Unfortunately, I don't have a crystal ball and can't see what the market will do in two weeks, let alone two hours.

I may have bad luck with my timing, but at least I'm making an effort and I've already grown a nice balance over the years. The term "rich" is subjective, but compared to most people who don't save anything, and depend on social security to fund their retirements, I think I'll be OK
Sounds like you're doing fine.

I've been into this since the late '70's. And although I generally don't 'time', sometimes I do and have. I'm in a doctor group of about 10 docs. And when the other 9 are 'all in', I typically find ways to get out. Or at least more 'out'. This worked out the best for me in the late '90's with the Internet boom, and again in 2006 with the housing boom.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:29 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What's the driver for the falling number?

It has been down all week. 200 points right now.

Who keeps up with this, to explain the mechanism.
I'd suggest a few contributors:

1) Wednesday's was actually a big DOW increase, so there is a correction to that.
2) Comments by Mario Draghi of Europe's Central Bank suggest weaknesses need to be addressed in European economies.
3) Continued concern over Syria/Iraq/Turkey
4) Slowed economic growth in China
5) Correction to a stock market that had gotten ahead of global economic growth
6) Weakness in the chip manufacturing sector

Old 10-10-2014, 12:32 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Quote:
The thing is, I don't really even follow the markets, so emotions such as "being left behind" don't play into this for me. I don't expect to retire for at least 30 more years, so in the long term, it hardly matters anyway.
Ratso! I wish I wasn't retiring for another 30 years.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:43 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Speaking of which, gas prices were generally under $3 the past few days here in DFW.

And what do you know? NO mentions of Obama and gas in the same sentence lately. What a coincidence...
That's because Republicans know that the president has no control over the price of gas but think nobody else knows this.
So when it's high, it's Obama's fault. When it's low, it's due to market conditions.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
Volatility has been predicted for sometime now.

There Is No Mystery To Today's Selloff
quote:
This is important as virtually all of the mega rally in the last 5 years has come in the Fed balance sheet expansion periods. The other periods have been more challenging for markets.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...1009_fed_0.jpg

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: hotlinking/copyright

Old 10-10-2014, 06:39 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Cheap gas = sliding stock market.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:16 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Volatility has been predicted for sometime now.

There Is No Mystery To Today's Selloff
quote:
This is important as virtually all of the mega rally in the last 5 years has come in the Fed balance sheet expansion periods. The other periods have been more challenging for markets.

I predicted volatility years ago, when first learned about the stock market....
People always ask what is the reason behind the latest trend: well, there isn't one. At least one that makes sense. As there was no logical reason for the last long rally. It's like a flock of sheep - when one or two turn in a specific direction, all others follow. Next, some smart people try rationalizing why all sheep moved to one place. So now it depends how many investors will be selling. If they don't stop soon, it will be a stampede.

Last edited by oberon_1; 10-10-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The only tool in the FED toolbox, used for "propping up" as you call it, is QE.
As posted earlier in this thread, QE is almost finished and has been reduced dramatically, every month since Janet Yellen took over.
Well there is RRP, but there are other issues.

The Stock Is Dead, Long-Live The Flow:

quote:
Goldman's quiet and out of place admission that what matters for a country's central bank is the flow of its purchases, not the stock
it may be not just the stock of securities held by the Fed but also the ongoing flow of purchases that matters for yields...

The spice must flow.

Dune (novel)

Old 10-10-2014, 07:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Its october, which always begins a sell off before everyone else sells of..

Taxes are due soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies