Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,147,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Social unrest in a democracy is a very rare event.
The social unrest of the Sixties occurred in democracies. Maybe you're thinking of revolutions to oust an oppressive dictator/regime.
In the US the people were not demanding democracy, but using their democratic right to demand many changes.
In France (a democracy) the massive protests brought down the government headed by de Gaulle. In Germany (another democracy) there were also many protests and demonstrations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,141,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There is a social upheaval going on. Its called the gay rights movement. If you combine that with the massive spread of atheism among those under 30 today, I think you have something pretty big.
I see this as more of a social evolution, not an upheaval. First off, the gay rights movement isn't all that big in number of impacted folks (as a % of population) and atheism is something that is somewhat transitional. Many folks go through multiple stages of belief in life, changing as they age (some don't) and this is more personal than an upheaval.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,127,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
NewToCA

When peoples personal living conditions are effected negatively in a major way, then we will see some sort of social unrest.

If the dollar collapses, we could get social unrest. I also think the immigration situation may lead to unrest somewhere, not necessarily across the USA.

If I had to pick a place most ripe for social unrest, I'd pick Florida. I don't know why exactly, except that it seems like there are a lot of angry people down there and a lot of them have weapons.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:42 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,984,456 times
It won't happen until/unless a critical mass of people think they have nothing left to lose. Right now, that's not the case.

Social unrest happens quite a bit in democracies. Just look at European democracies, and the huge protests that occur regularly. A hallmark of democracy is that there is social unrest, and that citizens are free to express it.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:07 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,908,742 times
actually, the roaring twenties was called "roaring" because of the various turbulent instances occurring, not because of the reaction to social issues (like in the sixties). Actually, the 1920s are sort of like today in reference to the apathetic and indifferent reaction of society. All I have to say is look what happened to them on October 29, 1929...

Old 12-29-2007, 11:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,203,565 times
I think the roaring 20s were a lot more like the 90s than today. The speculative Internet bubble was very similar to the stock market bubble of the 20s.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:20 PM

638 posts, read 2,277,034 times
I think that this administration has cleverly avoided mass rallies and riots by out-sourcing what should be military jobs to Blackwater and other contractors. If there had been a draft (technically, there should have been) the public would have had a fit. So instead, the government racks up an almost inconceivable deficit, but no draft, so Americans sit and chew their fat-butted cud.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:01 AM

Location: I live in Ronan, MT but am stationed in Virginia Beach
290 posts, read 688,832 times
I would support one!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:21 AM

49 posts, read 166,342 times
The roaring 20s was a time of great economic advancement for many American's. Credit was easy, stocks were incresaing in value, young folks were changing the antiquated value system of the victorian era and government was tied up with rooting out communists creating a Red Scare atmosphere. Following the crash in '29 nearly 25% of America was without work and things did not improve until December 7, 1941 when the nation went back to work making guns and tanks. If ever there was a time for massive social upheavel it would have been in the 1930s, but as other post have said things kind of re-balanced themselves. The natural ebb and flow of life. Change is needed, but a revolution? Remember, folks, our revolution could have ended up like the French revolution - not a prett sight. And remember, the system our founders gave us is the best in the world - its who we elect that sometimes makes life miserable or pleasant.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:42 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,741,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
NewToCA

9/11 was tragic and horrible however it did not cause a degradation in the standard of living for the average man/woman. When peoples personal living conditions are effected negatively in a major way, then we will see some sort of social unrest.
I think it depends on where you live.

In NY this happened in the midst of the tech bubble bust and the Wordcom scandals

So you had a massive loss in the jobs in:

The financial sector, the tech sector and tourism all at once. And all of these factors fed off of each other and contributed to each others demise.

Other than the real estate bubble, I don't think NY has really gained the momentum it had. The employment market has not returned to it's prior robustness. While the percentages of unemployment are down, many people just never went back to work in their prior fields, and when they did, they got lower paying jobs. (I know many people in that boat.)

It was definitely a regional phenomenon though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies