Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,139,485 times

Advertisements

Is America Overdue For Social Upheaval?
It has been a very long time since Americans have taken to the streets in massive numbers to demand change.
Several years ago I read an essay by sociologists who stated that modern societies become restless and usually provoke upheaval about every 30 to 40 years. As an example they pointed out the Roaring Twenties and the turbulent Sixties. We are about due for something big.
When looking at our society today I doubt if anyone can overlook the social tensions which seem to be increasing with every year. Our society is riddled with frustration, anger, suspicion, depression, paranoia, anxieties, insecurities, and various other ailments.
Just look at the issues that we face daily; war, political corruption, immigration, domestic surveillance, conflicts with constitutional law, the influence of special interest groups, rising consumer prices, budget deficit, global warming, closet racism, credit crunch, stagnant wages, healthcare problems, energy and resources problems, out sourcing of jobs...anyone care to add more to the list?
Many people feel they are being being pressured to work harder, work faster, surrender benefits, and be expected to sacrifice more of their private lives to further corporate interests. Some paddle faster, but feel to be falling behind. Mutual trust has broken down, we have become isolated and alienated from each other. People fear their neighbors...he might be a sex offender, it might be a crack house, they might be illegal immigrants, etc.
We have people who are professional deceivers, others who preach apocolyptic visions, and politicians who are ready to rake in as much money (for themselves and friends) as they can.
Maybe one thing we, liberals and conservatives, may agree upon is that current conditions shouldn’t be allowed to continue.
Is our Melting Pot getting close to the boiling point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 PM

47 posts, read 46,711 times
No, they took the LSD that fueled it in the 60s away, gave us Budweiser and American Idol, and now we don't have the care in the world to cause a upheaval.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,126,435 times
No, things don't appear to be bleak enough for social upheaval. We go through some periodic adjustments with our elections, and I don't see the great problems resulting in upheavals.

When you look at the 1960's, the situation was much different than today. I just don't see the "engine" for this upheaval. Sure, you always have the 5-15% who think life is falling apart and a radical political change is needed, and those folks tend to be pretty vocal, but for the most part I just don't see the massive problems and discontent preceding an upheaval.

I know a lot of those unhappy with current state of affairs posters will disagree, but the degree of problems just isn't there. Things could always be better, and change is a constant ebb and flow with folks disagreeing on what constitutes improvements vs backsliding, but that has ALWAYS been the case.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:59 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,139,485 times
I don't think any social upheaval would come about based on the people deciding to demand change. But more on unpredictable events which could a cause a chain reaction leading to upheaval. For example, Kennedy was killed as the Baby Boomers were in their teens and becoming politically aware. Who could have predicted Kennedy's death? Soon the Viet Nam war escalated rapidly. Quickly, being against the draft and war became anti-establishment (or counter culture) and spread across the nation as the young people demanded more; sexual liberation, tolerance, equality, etc.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:02 PM

Somewhat true, but how can we predict a cataclysmic event?

The Sept 11 attacks were about as big as we can get, what was the upheaval? I see a major upgrade (and perhaps overreaction) in security and monitoring, but that isn't upheaval in my book.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:11 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,676,769 times
Social unrest in a democracy is a very rare event.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,312,241 times
NewToCA

9/11 was tragic and horrible however it did not cause a degradation in the standard of living for the average man/woman. When peoples personal living conditions are effected negatively in a major way, then we will see some sort of social unrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Social unrest in a democracy is a very rare event.
Civil Rights movement

Vietnam

ring any bells?

Old 12-29-2007, 10:46 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,779,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
NewToCA

9/11 was tragic and horrible however it did not cause a degradation in the standard of living for the average man/woman. When peoples personal living conditions are effected negatively in a major way, then we will see some sort of social unrest.

Civil Rights movement

Vietnam

ring any bells?
Agreed, no matter how much some people want us to believe that things are bad in this country, the truth of the matter is we are all generally fat and happy here in America, and most everyone knows they dont have much to complain about.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Civil Rights movement

Vietnam

ring any bells?
Civil rights movement was validated by Johnson in 1964, implementation was really the problem in the late 1960's. Vietnam was a polarizing event, but we had a military draft making the war more personal for a much wider audience.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,194,644 times
There is a social upheaval going on. Its called the gay rights movement. If you combine that with the massive spread of atheism among those under 30 today, I think you have something pretty big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies