Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If we're going to do that, then we need to do that for ALL areas.
Not all people hate the cops......we had a vote in the township.

We just did not want to pay for cops.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:25 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Whether you love them or hate them, in our civil society, police officers are authority figures. When a police officer tells you to stop, you have to stop. If they tell you to put your hands up and you fail to do so, it is at your own peril.

Why aren't the so called "leaders" in the black community talking about this? Al Sharpton will do a triple back flip across traffic to get in front of a TV camera. If he really cared about black kids, he would tell them not to fight with the police so they can live. Unfortunately, he is a narcissistic charlatan that does nothing but perpetuate problems and make money for himself. Who else is there?
Yea, never question authority. Authority can do no wrong. History has told us that authority is always right.

You don't get it. Blacks have had over 300 years of animousity towards the white man's version of Authority in America. The rules are just not the same.

So, I'm supposed to do anything a cop tells me to do? Cops can violate the rights of citizens. That is why citizens have Miranda rights. That is why we have the 4th Amendment. That is why we can videotape police.

In the situation you are referring to, the man had no legal reason to do what the cop asked. Following the cops orders is more of a means of self-preservation than constitutionality. Suppose this man stepped out of the car and was beaten in front of his family? It may seem ludicrous to you.. but black men have a history of being terrorized, victimized, beaten, and killed by a white man in a uniform.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:27 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Not all people hate the cops......we had a vote in the township.

We just did not want to pay for cops.
NOT ALL blacks hate cops.
NOT ALL black neighborhoods are horrible.

I was basically commenting on how utterly ridiculous your statement was.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:27 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
NOT ALL blacks hate cops.
NOT ALL black neighborhoods are horrible.

I was basically commenting on how utterly ridiculous your statement was.
It works great in our township.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
First off the black community has a lot of great leaders but the news outlets and the media rather like the Sharptons and the Jacksons....They give them the lead stories so someone best ask why the liberal media is so fond of pushing them as leaders...
As for the cops apparently the same media people have an eye out for any shortcomings they have and ignore the 99.9% of excellent service.....There is an agenda not confined to the black community,,rather driven by outside interest and agitators......
But of course the media will never report on their own sins,,if there isn't a good story,make one seems to be their motto.......As for the police attitudes....
Police departments are not secular,they do the bidding of the political jurisdiction they reside under....Point your finger where the problems come from...
Opine from a PA white assed old man.....

What does this imply?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Why aren't the so called "leaders" in the black community talking about this? Al Sharpton will do a triple back flip across traffic to get in front of a TV camera. If he really cared about black kids, he would tell them not to fight with the police so they can live.
White men will never understand this part.

Reread your history books. Not fighting with the police doesn't guarentee the survival of a black man when confronted by the police.

Hell, see Jonathan Ferrell.

How would you feel if your son did nothing wrong and was slaughtered by the police for looking "suspicious" or walking "too fast." Or shot reaching for his wallet too quickly?

The point is... when you are black, IT DOES NOT MATTER. YOU CAN BE KILLED BY POLICE AT ANY TIME!

Old 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think it is simple......just do not have police in black areas.

Let them do what they want.

It works well where I live.

We just have to go to the county to have insurance forms filled out......but, we do not bother the cops.......they do not bother us.
there was that one guy who got his wallet to quickly and got shot.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yea, never question authority. Authority can do no wrong. History has told us that authority is always right.

You don't get it. Blacks have had over 300 years of animousity towards the white man's version of Authority in America. The rules are just not the same.

So, I'm supposed to do anything a cop tells me to do? Cops can violate the rights of citizens. That is why citizens have Miranda rights. That is why we have the 4th Amendment. That is why we can videotape police.

In the situation you are referring to, the man had no legal reason to do what the cop asked. Following the cops orders is more of a means of self-preservation than constitutionality. Suppose this man stepped out of the car and was beaten in front of his family? It may seem ludicrous to you.. but black men have a history of being terrorized, victimized, beaten, and killed by a white man in a uniform.

You have a problem with the 2nd Amendment? From what you just hammered out you should be a very staunch supporter.

I think the average American has the right to defend himself against uniformed thugs; especially when one's life, loved ones or property is being threatened. It's time the jackboots learn they are not in charge.

Dissident? Oh, yeah, all my life. I am conservative and we think this way.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:06 PM

520 posts, read 775,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

While many of the responses are pretty disturbing, this is the poster child for what I am referring to.

There is absolutely a time and place to question authority. That time and place is NOT out on the street. If a cop is questioning, pulling over or attempting to detain someone, they don't know who they are, what their intentions are and/or if they are armed. Until they have that information, its a really bad idea to get in a pissing contest with them.

Much of what you say is true. There is a history of systematic racism in the US and this has at times included police targeting blacks. However, your conclusions are flawed. Would you encourage all Jewish people to stay away from Germans? There's some pretty ugly history there. Should all non-Muslims distrust Muslims? September 11th wasn't that long ago. ISIS is probably beheading someone as we speak.

The semi-ridiculous point that I'm making is that the actions of a few, especially if they took place a long time ago, may have no reflection on the present. Just because some bad stuff happened a long time ago, it doesn't give anyone a free pass to do as they please today.

If you are wrongfully detained, questioned, harassed or beaten by a cop, here's some really good advice. Do exactly what they ask you to, be nice and call a lawyer. Then call the local media. Then get a book deal and live happily ever after. You are free to choose another course, but that could not only jeopardize the happily ever after part, but also the living part.

Does anyone really believe that in America in 2014, some respectful, Sidney Poitier looking, law abiding man is going to get terrorized, beaten or killed by a cop just for being "a colored boy?" How much MSNBC do you watch? Sadly, this probably did happen just a couple generations ago in the real world and it happens all the time in movies. It certainly didn't happen in any of the recent high profile cases that inspired this post.

I know you aren't going to listen to me, which is why I wish someone that you would listen to would say the same thing.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Fair enough. Then please DON'T try to come down on "non Black" people who DO try to help even the hood rats go straight but some fools yell "racism" because they see "taking care of business as acting white".
No one asked for your help, and it's not wanted. Help your self or your own people.

As for the need for "leaders," nope...I'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies