Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 05:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,056,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Yeah, I grew up in the US for the most part but it has always confused me. The US is the land of contradictions when it comes to sex.
My favorite is the giant billboards with women in their lingerie, but god forbid a woman tries to breast feed her baby in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Oregon liquor stores since the 80s are partially privately owned in a way though since while the liquor is officially owned by the OLCC, a private contractor runs and operates the store. Personally, I don't even see much difference than a liquor store in other states--prices aren't that bad overall, and there's liquor stores with very good selections in Portland.

Though I like places like California or Hawaii where you can get liquor in a grocery store or convenience store.
Definitely, prices for liquor in Oregon is very reasonable at liquor stores, so I there really isn't much wrong with how we do it now. I just like how they now do it in Washington where you can get liquor in just about any store, which makes grocery shopping much easier when you can get everything you need in one place.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:57 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,277,570 times
Quote:
Oregon liquor stores since the 80s are partially privately owned in a way though since while the liquor is officially owned by the OLCC, a private contractor runs and operates the store. Personally, I don't even see much difference than a liquor store in other states--prices aren't that bad overall, and there's liquor stores with very good selections in Portland.

Though I like places like California or Hawaii where you can get liquor in a grocery store or convenience store.
I can get beer and wine in a grocery or convenience store, but not hard liquor.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:11 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,464,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Definitely, prices for liquor in Oregon is very reasonable at liquor stores, so I there really isn't much wrong with how we do it now. I just like how they now do it in Washington where you can get liquor in just about any store, which makes grocery shopping much easier when you can get everything you need in one place.
Costsco in Washington was a big part of why the law finally changed up there. I'll drive up there if I'm buying liquor in high quantity at Costco, but the selection is limited--though you will save some bucks overall.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,464,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. Only in a very few states.
It's 18 states:

Alcoholic beverage control state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-11-2014, 07:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,304,506 times
Quote:
Costsco in Washington was a big part of why the law finally changed up there. I'll drive up there if I'm buying liquor in high quantity at Costco, but the selection is limited--though you will save some bucks overall.
I doubt you will save even a penny. The tax on booze here is absurdly high. The Costco founder put that in his initiative to legalize booze sales, as a sop to liberal Democrats. It did work, and his initiative (ballot measure) passed despite some objections from liberals and public sector unions. Now you can buy booze at a Costco or Safeway, but the price has actually gone up from the old state liquor store system.

The press here refers to the practice as "sin taxes" which I think is quite apt. It's an excellent illustration of my point that liberalism is just a mutant version of Puritanism.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I doubt you will save even a penny. The tax on booze here is absurdly high. The Costco founder put that in his initiative to legalize booze sales, as a sop to liberal Democrats. It did work, and his initiative (ballot measure) passed despite some objections from liberals and public sector unions. Now you can buy booze at a Costco or Safeway, but the price has actually gone up from the old state liquor store system.

The press here refers to the practice as "sin taxes" which I think is quite apt. It's an excellent illustration of my point that liberalism is just a mutant version of Puritanism.
Now you are just contradicting yourself, basically anything you don't like you simply blame it on "liberalism" when that isn't even true.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:42 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,593,789 times
I worked on I-1183 in WA (and I-1100 and I-1105 the previous year). The legislature really screwed things up with their ridiculous tax hikes. No surprise tho.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:47 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,593,789 times
Oregon almost had a privatize liquor initiative this year btw. I was flown up there to work on it in May or June (I forget) before it was pulled.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:04 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,857,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
My favorite is the giant billboards with women in their lingerie, but god forbid a woman tries to breast feed her baby in public.
Both lingerie and breast feeding are best kept on display in the privacy of your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies