Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"Bono, the self-styled Robin Hood of rock, has defended Ireland’s controversial policies on business taxes.

The U2 frontman said he believes large companies that avoid paying billions in taxes bring prosperity, rather than harm the economic growth of the country."

Bono hails Ireland's controversial business tax laws: 'Tax competitiveness has brought the only prosperity we've known' - People - News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 07:24 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Of course he also said “We are a tiny little country, we don’t have scale, and our version of scale is to be innovative and to be clever, and tax competitiveness has brought our country the only prosperity we’ve known. We don’t have natural resources, we have to be able to attract people.”

But let's eliminate the context and try to apply his words to the US, a country that has both scale, natural resources, and NO problem attracting people, eh?

Old 10-13-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Of course he also said “We are a tiny little country, we don’t have scale, and our version of scale is to be innovative and to be clever, and tax competitiveness has brought our country the only prosperity we’ve known. We don’t have natural resources, we have to be able to attract people.”
The U.S. doesn't adequately use its natural resources to its advantage. It therefore also has to be innovative and clever, which isn't happening. That's precisely why Apple made a tax deal with Ireland.

Quote:
But let's eliminate the context and try to apply his words to the US, a country that has both scale, natural resources, and NO problem attracting people, eh?
You don't seriously think that the millions of impoverished and undereducated illegal aliens flooding the border are going to help the economy, do you? They're going to drag our economy even lower, as the cost of the multiple public assistance programs required to support them is going to be sucked out of what could have been put towards economic growth.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The U.S. doesn't adequately use its natural resources to its advantage. It therefore also has to be innovative and clever, which isn't happening. That's precisely why Apple made a tax deal with Ireland.

You don't seriously think that the millions of impoverished and undereducated illegal aliens flooding the border are going to help the economy, do you? They're going to drag our economy even lower, as the cost of the multiple public assistance programs required to support them is going to be sucked out of what could have been put towards economic growth.
What I think is you're cherry-picking and attempting to use Bono's thoughts on Ireland and what might work there, and I don't believe I've ever read his credentials as an economic expert, and he's certainly a biased commentator on this issue given his $$$ tie-in to Apple, to make a case for once again giving corporate America a free ride.

I'm not buying.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
What I think is you're cherry-picking and attempting to use Bono's thoughts on Ireland and what might work there, and I don't believe I've ever read his credentials as an economic expert, and he's certainly a biased commentator on this issue given his $$$ tie-in to Apple, to make a case for once again giving corporate America a free ride.

I'm not buying.
Hmmm... More Americans in poverty than ever before. Meanwhile, Ireland courts and wins American companies, taking away American jobs. Looks like you're foolishly ignoring facts.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmm... More Americans in poverty than ever before. Meanwhile, Ireland courts and wins American companies, taking away American jobs. Looks like you're foolishly ignoring facts.

Looks like you're foolishly comparing Ireland to the US and conveniently ignoring the wild ups and downs the Irish economy has endured over the last 50 years or so. Why don't you take a look at just how well some of those American businesses they've attracted have done for them? Look at their history with DeLorean for example. And while you may claim more Americans in poverty you ignore the fact it wasn't all that long ago American corporations were known to be sitting on record piles of ca$h so spare us the CEO crying "I'm hungry" while holding a sandwich in each hand, eh?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Bono is one of those sad individuals that want everything conceivable paid for but he wants others to pay for them.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Looks like you're foolishly comparing Ireland to the US and conveniently ignoring the wild ups and downs the Irish economy has endured over the last 50 years or so. Why don't you take a look at just how well some of those American businesses they've attracted have done for them? Look at their history with DeLorean for example.
Wow, you had to reach WAY back for that example.

Meanwhile, currently, Apple moves thousands of American jobs to Ireland because Ireland doesn't stifle Apple with punitively high taxes.

Quote:
And while you may claim more Americans in poverty you ignore the fact it wasn't all that long ago American corporations were known to be sitting on record piles of ca$h
That's exactly the point. American corporations AREN'T investing in our economy because the Obama Admin has made the business environment so bad.

Economy's Poor Performance Hits Middle Class Hard, Donald Lambro

Meanwhile, American corporations skedaddle to Ireland, Canada, etc., and invest in their economies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...o-dodge-taxes/

Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Bono talking about how business should be paying their fair share of taxes? ROFLMAO.

What a flipping hypocrite.

http://thequietus.com/articles/16217...-of-experience

Quote:
This is one particular boat that Bono is not in though. And I don't mean, 'He's rich so it doesn't matter how big his tax bill is LOL.' What I mean is, he's rich enough to avoid paying an astronomical amount of tax to the Irish government despite being based in and operating out of the country. For 20 years the band used 1960s tax exemption laws for bands but when this was capped at quarter of a million, the band 'offshored' its main money making business - the publishing arm of the U2 empire - to a "special financial unit" in the Netherlands in 2006. The upshot of this, according to Irish Financial News, is that Bono does not pay tax on about 95% of his not inconsiderable income. As it stands now Bono - who is worth something in the region of £600million* - won't need to remortgage any of his very big houses or sell the Renoir or the yacht just yet.
'Bono Needs to Pay Up' - WSJ

Quote:
It's not that U2 has evaded taxes in the legal sense. But in 2006, after the Irish government decided to cap the income level that would qualify for tax-free earnings for artists, the band moved some of its business to the Netherlands. It is easy to understand why: The Mail reports that last year, with an income of 80 million pounds ($131.5 million), U2 members were the highest paid musicians in the world.
Please don't idolize famous people who say what they feel you want to hear when they fail to follow up on it themselves.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:23 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bono is one of those sad individuals that want everything conceivable paid for but he wants others to pay for them.
Exactly.

"But I'm a musician, not a greedy corporation. When I shelter my money to save on paying taxes, that's different than some corporation. I'm cool while corporations are not. People love me, not corporations. I'm Bono, I'm Bono, I'm Bono!!!!"

We don't need a ruling from the European Fecal Standards and Measurement. We know how many courics Bono weighs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies