Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

My parents were unable to pay for my college tuition. I had to rely on working full time and student loans while attending college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:56 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My job as a parent is to raise my kid so she does not have to rely on anyone to survive.
My daughter @ 17 has all the funding for college where she will not owe a dime upon graduation.
She has worked hard, since she got into softball, to get an academic and softball scholarships, along with securing grants and sponsors from the pharmaceutical community. She has been studying toxicology in Community College classes after school and sports practice.

I can afford her education, but if I pay for it, will she really want to learn, or be there for the party.
Demand and force your kid to go to college.... See what happens. One thing is, you will waste a lot of cash and come away with a kid you feel is unworthy.
I guess you don't give your daughter much credit if you think she went to college to party. We are paying for our kids college because education is important. Did they party, I guess. I don't know. But they both went on to get masters. Our responsibility as parents is to help with their education. Why do we have kids just to tell them they are on their own to pay for their education.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why do we have kids just to tell them they are on their own to pay for their education.
Why do people have kids they can't afford to support from birth then look to government to confiscate money from other people to pay for them. Then instead of the working people putting money away for their own kids, they have to pay for someone else's kids. Duh

Old 10-14-2014, 11:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why do people have kids they can't afford to support from birth then look to government to confiscate money from other people to pay for them. Then instead of the working people putting money away for their own kids, they have to pay for someone else's kids. Duh
Then no one would have kids because most who have kids in their 20s is hoping that one day they will be making more money to afford the future of their children.

That doesn't always happen. But if we all waited until we were all financially wealthy to have children, no children would be born.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then no one would have kids because most who have kids in their 20s is hoping that one day they will be making more money to afford the future of their children.

That doesn't always happen. But if we all waited until we were all financially wealthy to have children, no children would be born.
Spoken like a true liberal. No personal responsibility expected out of anyone.

Wake up call for you - having children in your mid 20s when you've got a college degree and an entry level position at a company with room to advance is not what's being talked about here. What's being talked about is having kids when you're not married and work at McDonald's with no post-secondary education or plans to obtain any.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:38 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times
Quote:
Only wish the now, tyrannical federal government, treated us all equally.
They tell us everyday, we are not equal and start picking the winners and losers.

There isn't even equal opportunity, even though it is preached as law.

We don't even start out equal in life, as a new born infant.

The faster everyone gets over this equality issue and confusing, "we should all be equal" with what should be the "government should treat everyone equally", the faster America will get back on strong footing.

If we were all equal, I'd look like Brad Pitt.
Lol !! Not bad the Brad Pitt one !!

Old 10-23-2014, 04:23 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Its almost like many of the posters here are unaware that the age at which parents are having their first child has been increasing steadily.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:50 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Only wish the now, tyrannical federal government, treated us all equally.
They tell us everyday, we are not equal and start picking the winners and losers.

There isn't even equal opportunity, even though it is preached as law.

We don't even start out equal in life, as a new born infant.

The faster everyone gets over this equality issue and confusing, "we should all be equal" with what should be the "government should treat everyone equally", the faster America will get back on strong footing.

If we were all equal, I'd look like Brad Pitt.
All you were ever offered is equal opportunity. Past that, it's all up to you.

Sorry about your being in the ugly end of the gene pool.
Most of us are- that's why guys like Brad Pitt looks so good.
It's not his fault that he had handsome parents. He never had anything you didn't get, other than his good looks- he was born in in Shawnee, Oklahoma and grew up in Missouri, the son of a guy who owned a trucking company. He had no sliver spoon in his mouth when he was born.

Brad made his own life. He had exactly the same opportunity as you do; he just made different choices. The tyrannical government didn't have a thing to do with either of you and how you both turned out.

Who knows? Maybe if you had gone looking for career early like Brad did, following his interests and passions, you might be in the movies right now. He learned how to act, you learned how to lay floors. You could have learned how to act, and he could have learned to lay floors. The only difference was in the way you think and the way he thinks. He comes from a conservative family just like you, and was born and raised around the same kind of people you were.

What's the big deal? There is nothing stopping you from taking an acting class any time you want to start. Why not, if you are unhappy laying floors? Equal opportunity doesn't have an exertion date until you expire. All you have to do is make the jump yourself, because nobody is going to push you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies