Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
You may disagree but life to me is a gift from GOD that should be cherished no matter what....and believe me i'm not the most religious guy in the world...however on this one issue I feel strongly about and no ifs or buts about it.
That's lovely.

Some people think that the quality of life is something to be weighed.

You may not agree, but they don't really care if you agree or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:26 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think dying with dignity does include the choice not to take one's life. I am saying that having the choice is empowering, either way.
On this, you and I concur. That was, ultimately, the point I was making earlier. It seemed lost on others.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think dying with dignity does include the choice not to take one's life. I am saying that having the choice is empowering, either way.
Yes, it is.

In is interesting to note that in Oregon, some people who have obtained the lethal prescription have died without using it. Especially in the early years, some of these patients were willing to be interviewed and have reporters follow them to the end. They said that just having the prescription made it easier for them to bear physical and emotional pain, because they knew they could end things whenever they chose.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:35 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
I can't place myself in another's shoes.

We need to be careful to assure that the person who wants to die is the one who initiates the process.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:35 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
You may disagree but life to me is a gift from GOD that should be cherished no matter what....and believe me i'm not the most religious guy in the world...however on this one issue I feel strongly about and no ifs or buts about it.
I think life is a gift from God too. I also believe he gave me the power of free will along with it as part of the package.

Since when does a fervent belief held by another person affect your own belief, gretsky? That you feel strongly about this issue does not mean you have the right to say we all must believe as you do.

Of course, that I feel differently than you does not mean I have any more rights, either. I'm just glad that you'll never be able to make a decision for me that only I should have the right to make. I feel bad for those closest to you, though… I hope none of them have to suffer for your beliefs when it is their time.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
This has been going on for a long time. A friend of mine in a state without this law had his doctor give him something to take if the pain got overwhelming. He is no longer with us and I have no idea if it is how he went or not but he had the option.

This really isn't "doctor assisted" any more than it would be "Wal Mart" assisted if you went to Wal Mart and bought a gun to shoot yourself. If someone wants to take their own life it's none of my business. Outside of self defense I do not believe anyone has the right to actually take the life of anyone else though.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:39 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that could be. modern medicine has been going to ever-increasing lengths to postpone the inevitable, whether the patient wants that or not.
Well....my daughter worked with cancer patients at a major hospital here as an RN and it is the patients families that wanted to keep them alive more than the patient wanted it even after the Doctors had told them that nothing could be done to save the patient.........

I believe that it is my right if that's what I want...

Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
A woman by the name of Britain found out that she had terminal brain cancer. She made a decision to move to Portland Oregon where assisted suicide is legal. I total disagree a Doctor's hippocratic oath is to do no harm. BTW.. Do you know who invented the whole concept of physician assisted suicide the Nazis. Why because for the NAZIS those who were disabled or burden were dispensable. By legalizing physician suicide we're entering a slippery slope.

Cancer patient Brittany Maynard, 29, has scheduled her death for Nov. 1 - The Washington Post
As many on the left claim, "It is MY body and I have the right to do with it as I please"

You can't have it both ways.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:53 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,343 times
Quote:
No because I would feel horrible of knowing someone that took their life...even an Ah@le like you
I respect your opinion. For some folks "death without dignity" would be appropriate.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This has been going on for a long time. A friend of mine in a state without this law had his doctor give him something to take if the pain got overwhelming. He is no longer with us and I have no idea if it is how he went or not but he had the option.
This is true. Doctors can and do prescribe potentially lethal drugs for seriously ill patients, telling the patient "now, don't take more than 4 of these at a time, or you'll die", while prescribing 12 pills at a time.

Quote:
This really isn't "doctor assisted" any more than it would be "Wal Mart" assisted if you went to Wal Mart and bought a gun to shoot yourself. If someone wants to take their own life it's none of my business.
Physician-assisted suicide laws do two things -

1) a doctor who follows the law cannot be charged with manslaughter/homicide for prescribing a lethal medication which results in a patient's death

2) allows a patient to openly discuss these issues and make a reasoned choice

Quote:
Outside of self defense I do not believe anyone has the right to actually take the life of anyone else though.
Any state following the Oregon pattern does not allow anyone but the patient to make the decision. I don't think anyone involved in this debate at the legislative level advocates euthanasia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies