Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 12:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,640,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I support the right to die, but would modify the legislation to require that doctors who do this as a job, are not in the position to influence the healthcare decision

I'm a little afraid of - man we are never going to get this guy to pay his bill, he is past $250k so far, someone go in there and convince him its over.
That isn't how it works in Oregon. The law was specifically drafted in order to make sure that it was the free choice of the patient requesting the prescription. Read up on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:15 PM

28,857 posts, read 30,115,797 times
One day I came home and my then 80 year old mother said, she liked Dr. Cavorkian (spelling) and we discussed it. I was shocked and angry with her at the same time....that she would even consider this....
but after hearing her story about how she took care of Pop, pop, I could understand why.

I'm certainly not an advocate of a perfectly healthy person taking their lives....but in cases like this, it is their choice.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Then you need to reread what I said. I said it bothered me. Didn't say "all people must stop saying this immediately". Just noting to say one thing may imply another. Apparently, you want me to shut up and go away. Sorry, not gonna happen.
No, I never said shut up and go away, your missing the whole point and again, taking my post personally, what I'm trying to say is....

You are your own maker, you can allow it to bother you, or not? You are in control of your own feelings.

Did you ever hear someone say, "That person hurt me". No, you allowed that person to hurt you....
and you shouldn't give people that kind of power. Same here....

I'm sorry you lost loved ones, truly I am, but you cannot control what others say and do....as I said, this is a free nation, and enough is enough.

We as humans, need to grow a tougher skin and learn to ignore a whole lot of things that do not matter.

In other words, you walk into a coffee shop first thing in the morning. The woman, behind the counter, gives you a really hard time and is rude....so, you have two choices....you can allow that woman, to ruin your entire day, or you can forget about it and have a great day....

and I think society is getting real tired of hearing from people, "you offended me".

Old 11-03-2014, 12:23 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,039,308 times
Got nothing against it. Your life belongs to you.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:26 PM

46,837 posts, read 25,759,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
When it comes to life or death...I feel I should have the right to help someone choose "Life"....
You just know better, is that it?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:29 PM

29,184 posts, read 22,196,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
A woman by the name of Britain found out that she had terminal brain cancer. She made a decision to move to Portland Oregon where assisted suicide is legal. I total disagree a Doctor's hippocratic oath is to do no harm. BTW.. Do you know who invented the whole concept of physician assisted suicide the Nazis. Why because for the NAZIS those who were disabled or burden were dispensable. By legalizing physician suicide we're entering a slippery slope.

Cancer patient Brittany Maynard, 29, has scheduled her death for Nov. 1 - The Washington Post
Terminally ill people kill themselves every day in every state of the nation. The only difference between taking an overdose by themselves or using a doctor's prescription is a guess on how much will work vs. certainty that the OD will be lethal.

The doctor doesn't have to participate in any way other than to give a medical warning that is more specific than the drug labels that are on every prescription drug able to kill someone. The doctor can say, without violation of the Hippocratic oath " Taking 10 of these pills is lethal." When asked, any doctor can say exactly the same in any state where assisted death isn't legal.

Lethal drugs are scripted to patients every day, everywhere.

For those who don't want to spent the last few months of a terminal illness in pain and distress, I see nothing wrong with some merciful certainty and the provision of a decent death for the family. A gun works just as well, but it always leaves a mess for some grieving person to clean up afterwards. Other methods of suicide are just as bad that way.

And there is nothing at all that stops any terminally ill person from living for as long as they can. Allowing loved ones a little mercy with a little earlier, but much less distressing death does not harm at all either.

In my life, I've known 6 people who died by the gun in their hand. 2 were terminal, 1 was crippled severely by a stroke at age 39, and 3 were afflicted with dementia. I can say with no doubt I wished all had died by prescribed drugs. The relatives, or friends, or the children who had to clean up the bathroom all still suffer to this day from a very violent way to end a life. It leaves a lasting trauma for everyone but the dead person.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Terminally ill people kill themselves every day in every state of the nation. The only difference between taking an overdose by themselves or using a doctor's prescription is a guess on how much will work vs. certainty that the OD will be lethal.

The doctor doesn't have to participate in any way other than to give a medical warning that is more specific than the drug labels that are on every prescription drug able to kill someone. The doctor can say, without violation of the Hippocratic oath " Taking 10 of these pills is lethal." When asked, any doctor can say exactly the same in any state where assisted death isn't legal.

Lethal drugs are scripted to patients every day, everywhere.

For those who don't want to spent the last few months of a terminal illness in pain and distress, I see nothing wrong with some merciful certainty and the provision of a decent death for the family. A gun works just as well, but it always leaves a mess for some grieving person to clean up afterwards. Other methods of suicide are just as bad that way.

And there is nothing at all that stops any terminally ill person from living for as long as they can. Allowing loved ones a little mercy with a little earlier, but much less distressing death does not harm at all either.
a man who lived in our area, promised his wife he would help her when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer, so he shot her and then shot himself....that I feel badly about, however, he probably wouldn't have been able to live with himself. that I'm against....I think? Hard to say as each and every situation is different....

Old 11-03-2014, 12:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,383,787 times
I support anyone's right to choose as long as they are not infringing of the rights of others.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:39 PM

106 posts, read 74,423 times
Absolutely. We do it for animals and consider it merciful. Why couldn't we be merciful to the terminally ill?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:45 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,075,807 times
Quote:
. You just know better, is that it?
No because I would feel horrible of knowing someone that took their life...even an Ah@le like you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies