Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:59 PM

258 posts, read 603,995 times

Advertisements

(Sorry I didnt know where else to post this. If this needs to be moved please let me know)

BACKSTORY: My wife was selected as a juror in an armed robbery case about 3 months back. The defendant was an African American male in his early 20's. She was selected as foreperson for the jury. It was a 4-5 day trial if I remember correctly. The guy was found guilty and sentenced to 15 years.

Fast Forward to Today: My wife gets a Facebook message from this guy. It wasn't his real name in the profile but he described himself as the "black guy you guys sent to jail for 15 years". It was a fairly long note, but most of it was difficult to comprehend. The Cliffs Notes were this: -You sent me the jail / -You were the foreperson and I saw you crying when the sentence was read / -I have heard that some of the jurors weren't in full agreement so you need to help me get a mistrial / - "You weren't hard to find". That last piece is what bothered me the most, and that is an exact quote.

Reading between the lines, it seems like he is saying "Come forward and say you didn't agree and get me a mistrial, or bad things may happen"

We have left messages with the prosecutor's office and are awaiting a call back. This has me very concerned because if someone can find her on Facebook, they can certainly find out where we live with public records. Does anyone know if this is a fairly commong occurence? I plan on asking the prosecutor's office a few things:

-Why is the Jury foreperson required to say their full name out loud in front of defendants and family who would potential want to hurt them?

-Why are inmates in Georgia (or any other jursidictions) permitted to use Facebook unmonitored?

Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated. I'm hoping this is all talk, but I certainly don't want to chance it considering this guy originally lived only a few miles from where we live now.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
(Sorry I didnt know where else to post this. If this needs to be moved please let me know)

BACKSTORY: My wife was selected as a juror in an armed robbery case about 3 months back. The defendant was an African American male in his early 20's. She was selected as foreperson for the jury. It was a 4-5 day trial if I remember correctly. The guy was found guilty and sentenced to 15 years.

Fast Forward to Today: My wife gets a Facebook message from this guy. It wasn't his real name in the profile but he described himself as the "black guy you guys sent to jail for 15 years". It was a fairly long note, but most of it was difficult to comprehend. The Cliffs Notes were this: -You sent me the jail / -You were the foreperson and I saw you crying when the sentence was read / -I have heard that some of the jurors weren't in full agreement so you need to help me get a mistrial / - "You weren't hard to find". That last piece is what bothered me the most, and that is an exact quote.

Reading between the lines, it seems like he is saying "Come forward and say you didn't agree and get me a mistrial, or bad things may happen"

We have left messages with the prosecutor's office and are awaiting a call back. This has me very concerned because if someone can find her on Facebook, they can certainly find out where we live with public records. Does anyone know if this is a fairly commong occurence? I plan on asking the prosecutor's office a few things:

-Why is the Jury foreperson required to say their full name out loud in front of defendants and family who would potential want to hurt them?

-Why are inmates in Georgia (or any other jursidictions) permitted to use Facebook unmonitored?

Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated. I'm hoping this is all talk, but I certainly don't want to chance it considering this guy originally lived only a few miles from where we live now.
Call the warden......now.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Call the warden......now.
Not sure if this was in jest or not...

That being said, we don't know in which facility he is being held. We were advised by a family member (who is a detective in another state) to contact the prosecutor's office and let them communicate with the facility as well as the polic for a possible police report.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
Not sure if this was in jest or not...

That being said, we don't know in which facility he is being held. We were advised by a family member (who is a detective in another state) to contact the prosecutor's office and let them communicate with the facility as well as the polic for a possible police report.
Not in jest at all.

You can register here.

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/initMap.do

Most states have web pages to tell you where prisoners are.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:11 PM

Prisoner Locater Tools - GODORT

This will help.

Are you in NC????

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/...do?method=view

Old 10-10-2014, 02:16 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,274 times
Good grief! that is very scary!

I would also call your local precincts office and ask if they can advise you - and it might not hurt to retain an attorney.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Call the warden, but I would not depend on the government to protect your wife. See to her security. Get her a gun and the training to use it. Invest in electronic security. Don't leave anything to chance.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:25 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Call the warden, but I would not depend on the government to protect your wife. See to her security. Get her a gun and the training to use it. Invest in electronic security. Don't leave anything to chance.

This!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I agree 100%. Our house is already well armed. Unforunately she has a terrible phobia of guns. I've taken her to the range before and she broke down in tears and couldn't function. As much as I'd like to teach her to shoot, I truly don't believe she'd be able to physically function with a gun.

That being said, its fairly rare that she is home alone and we may look into mace or tasers for when she is out.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:32 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
This has happened in SC. They are not supposed to use Facebook, but they get cell phones smuggled in and use them. I would definitely let the authorities know and would make sure her facebook account is locked if not closed. I would also ask the authorities how popular/powerful this guy is on the street and assess the threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies