Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:37 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The GOP is a white-only party.

Well, rather... a party that craps on minorities for personal gain. Conservative ideology always fails. It always needs a scapegoat to distract followers from the fact that it failed again. Usually blacks, gays, and women end up getting the short end of the stick.

You can be a minority or woman and join the GOP... you just have to publicly crap on poor people and minorities.
Ahhhh, the life of a perpetual victim. Is there anything you can't blame on whitey?

Old 10-12-2014, 10:39 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ahhhh, the life of a perpetual victim. Is there anything you can't blame on whitey?
I have everything I have due to my own work ethic. It's no thanks to "whitey."

Do I think whites have a 300+ year history of systematically oppressing people of color in America and across the world? Hell yes. History says I 'm right.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:43 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Rand Paul is right. The Republicans are missing a golden opportunity. I cannot count how many friends I have, we are all college educated, middle to upper middle class, and we are fiscally conservative and middle of the road socially. When we hear things like, ALL BLacks want handouts etc, its a turnoff especially when nothing is said about the corporate handouts given like candy.
Sorry, but I find this very difficult to believe. You're fiscally conservative and socially moderate but because some Republican made a crack about welfare, you're going to vote Democrat? That doesn't pass the common sense test.

Additionally, given that the Democrats are no less supportive of corporate welfare than the Republicans, that also is a suspicious reason to use for voting against Republicans.
Quote:
When the first president of color is constantly disrespected, eg, fingers pointed in his face( jan brewer), called out during during a speech, guns brought to rally, it does nothing to help your case.
Once again, I call foul. So it's okay for the President to make recess appointments when there is no recess, to use the IRS as a political police force, to cover up a terrorist attack in Benghazi, to enact a trillion dollar stimulus that completely fails to recover the economy, to send guns to Mexican drug cartels, to threaten to go around Congress and violate the separation of powers, to blame Republicans for sequestration when it was his own White House that introduced it, to let the Gulf Oil Spill go for weeks before responding to it, to completely botch the whole "red line" thing in Syria, to do nothing to stop ISIS before they were rampaging across the Middle East even though he was warned about them a year before, to promise to fix the VA and do nothing about it while over 40 veterans died from lack of medical care --- it's okay for him to do all this, but somebody insults him and you just can't tolerate that?
Quote:
The birtherism is astounding, especially when you don't hear a peep about Ted Cruz when he openly was born outside of the U. S. , yet is a contender and Obama is fraud? All of these things are a turnoff for very informed black voters.
It's extremely difficult to see someone say that they are fiscally conservative but vote Democrat anyway because someone called Obama a bad name and consider that person very informed.
Quote:
I know many who didn't and don't like Obama, but there were no viable republican alternatives. Anyone who may have had a shot, huntsman for instance was shot down.
If you're fiscally conservative then any Republican is a viable alternative. See, it's remarks like that which make what you say very suspicious.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:44 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think Paul is probably right, although another huge mistake by the GOP was squandering the opportunity of total control after 2000 (white house, senate and house). Instead of pushing a limited gov't agenda, and taking the opportunity to prove that freedom and limited gov't works, they pushed for stuff like the bridge to nowhere.

But just looking at the numbers from 2012, Paul is probably right. Romney won 59% of the white vote, a landslide by most standards. But he lost over 80% of the non white vote, IMO due to an overwhelming impression that the GOP is a whites-only party. That was the single biggest reason why we don't now have a President Romney.
//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ng-2004-a.html

The GOP will never be able to compete with Dems when it comes to 'free stuff' for impoverished voters of any race, nor should we even try. That's a 'destroy the village to save it' strategy. We should be able to compete for black, Asian, and Hispanic middle to upper class voters, and also for lower economic class voters who understand long term principles trump short term gain.
The fact that Romney also lost the youth vote and single women was not because of race--it was because of the general impression of intolerance in the party. And if you think single women and youth voted for Obama to get "free stuff," there is a bridge in Brooklyn...

I'm so sick of this Romney-inspired BS that Obama won because of the "free stuff," issue. If the GOP thinks arrogantly insulting much of the electorate is the way to win--they will continue to lose the presidency.

You've also twisted Rand Paul's intent. He is not saying that the GOP should promise to give blacks "free stuff," he is saying the GOP must be inclusive and treat them more respectfully.

Rand Paul meets with black leaders in Ferguson - James Hohmann - POLITICO.com

Old 10-12-2014, 10:49 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,965 times
The comments in this thread from many right-wing posters are great examples of why the GOP is losing-and will continue to lose-the vast majority of non-white voters.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:52 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
And minorities in general.

I used to teach ESL to immigrants in NYC and I was often amazed at the diversity of opinions I got from my students. Many of my Hispanic students often espoused very conservative views on the economy, religion, gay rights and even welfare. But then I asked them, "If you could vote, which party would you vote for?" They almost always answered "Democrat" or "Obama." I then asked them "why" because much of what the Dems stand for is runs contrary to what you believe. And they would normally respond that at least the Dems respect immigrants/Hispanics. I had similar discussions like this with many of our Asian immigrant students as well.

It comes down to respect and if these groups don't feel respected by the GOP, the GOP is not going to get their votes (if they ever become citizens).

This is also true of black US citizens. They are often more conservative than their white counterparts, but because they don't feel respected in the GOP, they vote Dem.
Indeed.

The question the GOP needs to ask itself is not "why can't we get the black vote?" They think they know that.

The question the GOP needs to ask itself is "why did we lose the Latino and Asian vote?"

Old 10-12-2014, 10:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
The comments in this thread from many right-wing posters are great examples of why the GOP is losing-and will continue to lose-the vast majority of non-white voters.
Not to mention a decent chunk of white voters. Some of the responses in this thread turn my stomach, with friends like this, the Rs need no additional enemies.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The black vote is all but irrelevant. The new minority bloc that matters to either political party is Hispanics. Black people had 50 years of hand holding from the federal government and Democrats have moved on. Why? Because there's no longer any political capital in a tried and true black voter monoliths. Why put resources into a locked-in voter base? Barack Obama has ignored black people for this very reason. What is there to gain when the vote is already there?

Tyrone has been supplanted Juan. Black people realize this....that's why they are becoming an even louder squeaky wheel.

Rand Paul is wrong......Republicans should not specifically court black people as they have been bought by Democrats..... Republicans also have more to gain from Hispanics because Hispanics share conservative ideals and have not **yet** been bought. That's where the opportunity is.... not black people.
If they cannot figured out why they irretrievably lost the black vote back in the early 60s, they won't figure out why they've lost the Latino and Asian vote before it's too late to get that back.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Confess confusion why black people don't vote for Republicans? That's stupid. I don't think there's a single Republican in this country who is confused as to why black people vote Democrat.
True. That question is just posed on C-D as the initial rhetorical thrust of a polemic topic.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:57 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not to mention a decent chunk of white voters. Some of the responses in this thread turn my stomach, with friends like this, the Rs need no additional enemies.
Oh absolutely. Unfortunately the majority of white voters seem to be OK with the party of Angry White People (particularly Angry White Men).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies