Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 09:12 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

This isn't how America works nor how it should work. You have to work hard, get noticed and become irreplaceable. That's how you get a raise.

Or belong to a union and confront these greedy scum in a united front. But sending a letter is lame, and a breach of the code of conduct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Join a Credit Union if possible. I haven't paid any kind of a fee in over 20 years.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-14-2014 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 10-14-2014, 09:23 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Join a Credit Union if possible. I haven't paid any kind of a fee in over 20 years.
I agree 100%-credit unions have the best rates too. I have no sympathy for people that still support the Federal Reserve's favorite banks-Goldman Sach's, JP Morgan, Wells Fargo, Bank Owns America, Citi, Chase, Wells Fargo, Morgan Stanley, etc.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
This isn't how America works nor how it should work. You have to work hard, get noticed and become irreplaceable. That's how you get a raise.

Or belong to a union and confront these greedy scum in a united front. But sending a letter is lame, and a breach of the code of conduct.
It may not have been the best method to PERSONALLY ask for a raise, but can't you see that this is for a greater good? I think he knows he is as good as gone from Wells Fargo but was trying to initiate conversation on the topic and maybe even rile up his fellow employees.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
^THIS is a straw man ladies and gentlemen. Attack the messenger as he just "must be jealous of the 85 elite".

LOL, you people are ridiculous. I am VERY successful and have more than I can ask for; Hard work is instilled in me as a second generation American. Why do you think only poor or jealous people care about others? That seems very odd.
Why don't you hold others up to the same standard by which you have lived your life? When you say you have been "VERY successful" then I presume you have made yourself valuable to the rest of us. Congratulations. You will unwind the secret of American prosperity, what drew your parents to this great land, if you increase the rewards for just breathing at the expense of the rewards for actually becoming more valuable to society.

No straw man here, just wondering about the perverse definition of "care about others" that you people employ. Caring for others should mean doing more for others, which is at the heart of the requirement for economic success. You would pass out more money to those too selfish to do more for others. Makes no sense to me.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Why don't you hold others up to the same standard by which you have lived your life? When you say you have been "VERY successful" then I presume you have made yourself valuable to the rest of us. Congratulations. You will unwind the secret of American prosperity, what drew your parents to this great land, if you increase the rewards for just breathing at the expense of the rewards for actually becoming more valuable to society.

No straw man here, just wondering about the perverse definition of "care about others" that you people employ. Caring for others should mean doing more for others, which is at the heart of the requirement for economic success. You would pass out more money to those too selfish to do more for others. Makes no sense to me.
I generally think that anybody working full-time should not be in poverty. We should not be subsidizing the wages of the largest employers in this country-Wal Mart and McDonalds. The solution is not to let the workers starve nor is it to continue to let nationless corporations take advantage of our welfare system, funded by the public.

It is not my job to determine anyone's personal wealth or intellect but if they put in 40 Hours a week and do the job asked of them, they should be able to support themselves without the assistance of the Government. Sadly, that is no longer the case.

We need to be having this conversation and exploring options. Maybe we need to get rid of ALL income taxes and have only a flat sales tax-which would naturally allow those who can afford to pay more in taxes do so.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I like how for many in this thread (and in general with the current political discourse), it's never time to give the average working person a raise, ever.

Times are good? Can't give out raises, it might slow economic growth.

Times are bad? Can't give out raises, it will cause the recession to last longer.

The hatred for fellow Americans shown on display by some in this thread is just absolutely disgusting and shameful.
It amazing...especially seeing as how these posters aren't CEO's themselves. They're a bunch of working stiffs that have indoctrinated themselves on too much Limbaugh.
Quote:

Nothing lame about it. It's his right to do it, and i think it's quite courageous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
When the bubble bursts, I plan on BUYING as much stock in the impacted companies as I can. I love buying when everything is ON SALE.
No you don't.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:00 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
^THIS is a straw man ladies and gentlemen. Attack the messenger as he just "must be jealous of the 85 elite".

LOL, you people are ridiculous. I am VERY successful and have more than I can ask for; Hard work is instilled in me as a second generation American. Why do you think only poor or jealous people care about others? That seems very odd.
Nobody is saying that you have to be poor to care. Most of the people arguing with you are arguing that "caring" as defined by liberals isn't caring so much as it is forcing harm upon some in the name of others.

You're successful (by your own admission). Great, so am I. Did you exploit, harm or otherwise injure a poor or less successful person to become successful? Do you feel that every time you get paid, earn $1, or purchase something for yourself or your family that you are harming someone? Do you steal food from poor people to feed your family? Do you steal books from poor kids to educate your kids? When you pay your taxes, do you not take the personal deductions, because you might be harming poor people?

I am not trying to build a straw man, I am legitimately asking - do you feel like your success actually harms people? I don't feel that way. I never harmed anyone to achieve what I have in life, and had to overcome all manner of people actively trying to hold me back. When I earn a paycheck, I don't feel that it harms anyone. When I buy nice things, I again do not feel like I am harming anyone. I care about my fellow man, but I never thought being successful meant that I didn't...because, well i still care about people, and am still successful.

I am trying to find this connection where success means uncaring, unless you're willing to harm yourself or advocate harm to others? How does it work. You are successful, and consider yourself caring. I am successful, and you consider me uncaring. The only difference I can spot so far in our dialogue is that I am seem less willing than you to harm my fellow man in the name of helping others. Did I miss something?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:01 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Have they fired him yet?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
I generally think that anybody working full-time should not be in poverty. We should not be subsidizing the wages of the largest employers in this country-Wal Mart and McDonalds. The solution is not to let the workers starve nor is it to continue to let nationless corporations take advantage of our welfare system, funded by the public.

It is not my job to determine anyone's personal wealth or intellect but if they put in 40 Hours a week and do the job asked of them, they should be able to support themselves without the assistance of the Government. Sadly, that is no longer the case.

We need to be having this conversation and exploring options. Maybe we need to get rid of ALL income taxes and have only a flat sales tax-which would naturally allow those who can afford to pay more in taxes do so.
OK, a dialogue. I share the idea that workers should not starve (or freeze.) Nor should the unemployed, for that matter.

Where we differ is how to accomplish this. I believe that a wage is the market price of labor, and should not be transformed into that PLUS a welfare component. A million people clock in at Walmart every working day for one reason: that particular job is the highest and best use of their time--no other employer is offering better. It is not Walmart's fault that low-skill labor has less value than higher skilled labor.

Secondly, a huge majority of now-successful mature adults began their careers at low-skill, low-wage jobs, the lowest rung on the ladder. If you make it illegal to sell low-skill labor for its market value, the raw number of these lowest-rung jobs will disappear. Unemployment among the low-skilled will soar. (As it did after the 2007-2009 series of minimum wage increases that totaled 40%.)

Thirdly, if ANY job is enough to stay out of poverty, where is the impetus to become just a little better, a little more valuable to employers, to move off the lowest rung?

We are not subsidizing Walmart and McDonalds with welfare benefits to the low-skilled. We are subsidizing the low-skilled. Walmart and McDonalds are paying market value for labor--or else workers would not show up.

In my view, your path will hurt the economy with most damage falling on those who can afford it the least. We will all be poorer, and less able as a country to assist those who need help. My path preserves the individual incentives that are at the heart of American progress and prosperity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies