Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:39 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
For a job that requires a College Degree-absolutely.

I worked at Prudential Financial when I first graduated College in 2009 and was paid $13 an hour-everyone was and there were hoards of us "recent" grads. I was not able to purchase my home and grow my wealth (really become integrated into the economy) until I got a much better job. Luckily I saw the writing on the wall and "the temps" were there for years and years. I would say most Millenials are in the same boat considering that over 9/10 express desire to own a home yet the rates of such have plummetted.

The Cheapest Generation - Derek Thompson and Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic
When you are first starting out, you have few marketable skills and less experience than other people. Why is home ownership and a comfortable life a requirement right out of the gate? My first job in programming paid $14 an hour. It took my then wife working full time as well so we could live in any sort of normal apartment in a semi-decent neighborhood. Yeah, 16 years later I make a lot more than I used to, but at no point back then did I figure my employer sucked because they weren't paying the 0 experience guy with an Associates degree too little. I just busted my arse, did a lot of reading/studying and BECAME worth more.

Your Prudential story is very common, and it should be. You and all your recent grad buddies had 0 experience. Corporations hire you at those wages expecting maybe one or two of you to improve, gain skills, become valuable, etc. The rest are expected to fall by the wayside. It's like training camp for corps, where 100 guys get invited and only 53 make the roster.

People who fluff resumes and end up not having bupkus for skills or motivation are the rule, and good workers are the exception. Companies like Prudential have a weeding out process that runs on the cheap. Guarantee at least one of those $13 an hour grads is now a hoo hah somewhere in that company, because they understood the game and how it gets played. In my 16 years working corporate, plenty of my friends have fallen by the wayside, yet I keep going up and up. Same business world, different levels of motivation. Not a tough equation.

This entire discussion is about people getting raises without earning them. A higher salary reflects a higher value to the company that pays you. If you are doing the same job, what extra value are you providing? Doing what is asked of you is rewarded...it's called the pay you agreed to when you took the job. Getting more than that requires you showing them that you deserve more, and if they don't see it, showing someone else you deserve more. But just doing the same job year after year and expecting Daddy Warbucks to shower you with money...yeah, pipe dream.

It's very simple. The guy sending that email has done what to earn more compensation? In what way has he added value beyond the job he was hired to do for the compensation he agreed to receive? If there is a case to be made that he has, and his company does not see it, he should make that case to another employer. But in the real world, just sitting on the bench is not reason to give you the starter's job. Coach will need a better reason than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This thread isnt a complain about the economy thread.

its about how some employee thinks their entitled to have their hourly wage raised simply because their employer is profitable.

Are you going to demand your hourly wage be raised from ZERO? Since the real estate industry is beginning a recovery i'm sure their profitable.
Actually, it is a complain about the economy thread if you read the posts. I never separate the issues-the economy is almost always what I'm getting at, especially if it involves Wells Fargo.

I love how me just saying "this guy makes a good point" leads to posters saying I should start a petition for him, quit my job, demand a higher wage at my own job, etc.

Calm down folks, it'll be ok.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:50 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
If compensation can be tied to profit, are you cool with every employee taking a $5k pay cut if the profit goes down? I doubt it.

And there's the rub. This is the "cake and eat it too" argument. Employee has done nothing to add value and warrant a raise, but says because company profitable, all employees deserve more compensation. He is offering nothing to the company besides a demand. Maybe if he said "look, pay us more when things are good, and then pay us less if things go bad" he might have a case to be paid more in a period of high profitability, but that's not his angle. Nope, just "you got more, so gimme more" nonsense common to everyone who thinks they should get something for nothing.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Actually, it is a complain about the economy thread if you read the posts. I never separate the issues-the economy is almost always what I'm getting at, especially if it involves Wells Fargo.

I love how me just saying "this guy makes a good point" leads to posters saying I should start a petition for him, quit my job, demand a higher wage at my own job, etc.

Calm down folks, it'll be ok.
actually it seems to be YOU who has some issue with a 100 year old company.... a banking institution

1. the guy DIDNT talk to his boss about him thinking HE was paid too little
2. they guy DIDNT talk to his boss about thinking his position and like positions wre paid too little
3. the guy was WRONG for sending out a mass email DEMANDING everyone be paid more , JUST BECAUSE the company has profits
4. what he did was called sedition , and it is wrong.. wrong to do to a company, wrong to do to a country

5 YOU the OP, post this because YOU have an issue with some 100 year old company, and you are USING him as a patsy

the idiot guy (from the OP) should be fired as he SHOWED NO LOYALTY to the company that IS PAYING his salary.....and it would be a good guess that he was probably A POOR PERFORMER

and the kicker...it seems you have NO PROBLEM making a profit yourself off of unsuspecting clients looking for a house...which YOU push the price up, all in the name of getting YOURS (ie your commission)

Old 10-28-2014, 11:55 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes I know, I pretty much said this when I said they work for free.

They run working often times for free, by their own choice, then whine that others arent making enough hourly, the hypocracy is astounding.

If you tell others not to partake in that commerce and you do it, and you
insist others get a higher hourly wage because they need to be taken care of and "entitled to it", but hold a job where there is no hourly wage and often times the work for free, their a hypocrite.
Sole Prop is running your own business, doesn't mean one can't have employees. Nobody runs a business with the idea of working for free, not even not-for-profits. I don't see this as whining either.

Nor do I see how it makes one a hypocrite. I already said this previously. Nothing wrong with discussing or criticizing the system model; any system model. WF isn't even your typical corp. They are in a unique position to the global economy.

What you are claiming the poster is doing is your own perspective, not one that I share. Other than participating in commerce, which everyone on the planet is doing, as far as I can tell. Theoretically, I suppose some may not be and I can only speak very generally here with what is claimed to be about 7bil on the planet.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

This entire discussion is about people getting raises without earning them. A higher salary reflects a higher value to the company that pays you. If you are doing the same job, what extra value are you providing? Doing what is asked of you is rewarded...it's called the pay you agreed to when you took the job. Getting more than that requires you showing them that you deserve more, and if they don't see it, showing someone else you deserve more. But just doing the same job year after year and expecting Daddy Warbucks to shower you with money...yeah, pipe dream.

It's very simple. The guy sending that email has done what to earn more compensation? In what way has he added value beyond the job he was hired to do for the compensation he agreed to receive? If there is a case to be made that he has, and his company does not see it, he should make that case to another employer. But in the real world, just sitting on the bench is not reason to give you the starter's job. Coach will need a better reason than that.
How this employee performed and how he handled this situation certainly could be questioned. I doubt that an email would be the way to go here, but I don't know all the facts. As to the employees experience, I really saw no information on this to draw a conclusion.

Unfortunately, particularly since the so-called US jobs were all off-shored many companies are increasingly requiring more and paying what equates to less and less. (this is a more complicated economic discussion involving market changes and the govt's role)

This is largely why so many are paying 40-50% of their income for a roof. This is also why temp hires have become increasingly more prevalent. (Of course we now have the ACA contributing to this.) As to looking for other work, this too is becoming more of an issue simply because there are not enough jobs being created and the general environment is getting less and less conducive to starting a business.(NM the other economic issues)

Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually it seems to be YOU who has some issue with a 100 year old company.... a banking institution

1. the guy DIDNT talk to his boss about him thinking HE was paid too little
2. they guy DIDNT talk to his boss about thinking his position and like positions wre paid too little
3. the guy was WRONG for sending out a mass email DEMANDING everyone be paid more , JUST BECAUSE the company has profits
4. what he did was called sedition , and it is wrong.. wrong to do to a company, wrong to do to a country

5 YOU the OP, post this because YOU have an issue with some 100 year old company, and you are USING him as a patsy

the idiot guy (from the OP) should be fired as he SHOWED NO LOYALTY to the company that IS PAYING his salary.....and it would be a good guess that he was probably A POOR PERFORMER

and the kicker...it seems you have NO PROBLEM making a profit yourself off of unsuspecting clients looking for a house...which YOU push the price up, all in the name of getting YOURS (ie your commission)
Keep your allegations and insults to yourself. If you are not able to have a civil conversation without resorting to personal attacks then you can kindly stay out of the thread. It seems you have had a lot of trouble and desperate heartache caused by realtors, but please don't push that off onto me.

I have had to ask you to stop the petty and childish insults many times, and not just on this thread...

You seem to know ALOT about this Wells Fargo employee, but unfortunately have proven yourself to embellish the truth and not understand what other posters write.

Saying Wells Fargo is a 100 year old banking institution lends no credibility or prestige in my view; in fact it is the opposite. We need to rot these institutions out from their stranglehold on our economy and country since 1913.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-28-2014 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies