Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:19 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I do not know the labor laws there, it is a progressive state so they may have some strange laws, most states I have worked did not require anything be put in writing and if so I am sure they can simply say "downsizing" or "budget cuts" and that would be that.
Nope.... the state this happened in actually has laws that directly prohibit employers from asking about gun ownership, so this place is gonna be in some trouble by the looks of it. This guys Lawyer was on NRA news yesterday talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:19 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,852,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Seems like pieces of this puzzle are missing.
Correct, the story is awfully short and when I see that sort of thing it usually means we are only getting part of the story because someone is pushing an agenda.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The 2nd Amendment restricts the government, not private businesses.
God I wish people would learn their own lessons.....

The irony here is, DCforever will go off in to some other thread and advocate for the government to restrict gun ownership....

Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,852,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Nope.... the state this happened in actually has laws that directly prohibit employers from asking about gun ownership, so this place is gonna be in some trouble by the looks of it. This guys Lawyer was on NRA news yesterday talking about it.
Did the company ask or was it simply another employee if he said it on his own it also changes the picture? A whole lot seems to be on the "fuzzy" side here and in the end I have a strong feeling that we will find out there is more to the story than what was posted, there usually is with these stories.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:22 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,202,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
For the state to pass a law about gun ownership and employment this must have happed before.

That surprises me......but, I assume everyone has a gun.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,202,912 times
Quote:
Did the company ask or was it simply another employee if he said it on his own it also changes the picture? A whole lot seems to be on the "fuzzy" side here and in the end I have a strong feeling that we will find out there is more to the story than what was posted, there usually is with these stories.
We can agree on that.....

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 AM

68,277 posts, read 54,017,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I disagree.

I know I am a "con".......and a business owner.

I would never tell workers that could not own a gun.
Absolutely your right as an employer but...........................................

Can you really claim all of an employee's Constitutional rights are protected in the work place?

i.e. Can an employee walk into your office and tell you to pi$$ off (1st Amendment) and expect to keep their job?

The issue here appears to be more about the employer's violation of state employment law than a Constitutional one. What's really asinine IMO is firing a long-term employee with a good record for something they own and don't bring to the work place against their employer's wishes. If someone worked well for me over 21 years I sure as hell wouldn't toss them aside for anything they owned/did legally away from the workplace.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,947,532 times
Quote:
Yes, I do understand the laws on that, I work under those rules and most of my work is done as a Contractor and has been for over 30 years, which in reality all employees become in Right To Work States (at will employment, feel better now).
Right to work, usually refers to proscription of a union shop. Employment at will is a different issue.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The way it was said yesterday, he and another employee were talking and he said he was a gun owner. Then, it got back to a supervisor, and by that time, the story had changed to "he was carrying a gun". So then he was asked about it, and he said yeah he was a gun owner, but didn't carry it. They fired him and said it was a violation of the no-tolerance policy.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,631,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The anti-gun wackjobs in this country are really reaching a fever pitch.

Gun owner fired by LOFS after being asked about weapon files lawsuit - Post-Tribune
Wouldn't gun ownership indicate the employee was not a felon? You ask employees to raise their hands if they own a gun, those that do get a feather in their cap, because it means they have at least been cleared by the FBI as being law abiding citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies