Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 AM

33,498 posts, read 36,996,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
They base claims for the history and future of our climate, with even less than 150 years of data, when using ocean monitoring buoy data that have only been around for a couple decades, and in some cases only 11 years or so.
What do you base your statement on? It doesn't matter, as the oceans continue to rise regardless of what you think.

Paleoclimatology is the study of changes in climate taken on the scale of the entire history of Earth. It uses a variety of proxy methods from the Earth and life sciences to obtain data previously preserved within rocks, sediments, ice sheets, tree rings, corals, shells and microfossils; it then uses these records to determine the past states of the Earth's various climate regions and its atmospheric system. Studies of past changes in the environment and biodiversity often reflect on the current situation, and specifically the impact of climate on mass extinctions and biotic recovery. Paleoclimatology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The oldest continuous ice core records to date extend 123,000 years in Greenland and 800,000 years in Antarctica. Ice cores contain information about past temperature, and about many other aspects of the environment. Crucially, the ice encloses small bubbles of air that contain a sample of the atmosphere – from these it is possible to measure directly the past concentration of gases (including carbon dioxide and methane) in the atmosphere. Ice cores and climate change - British Antarctic Survey

Old 10-15-2014, 12:11 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,055,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
JimRom, I was thinking the same thing, how can one make a statistical claim based on 150 years of climate monitoring when this planet is 4.5 billion years old. That's like saying it is going to be a very wet year because we has .01 of an inch of rain last month.
They really need to put these stats in perspective.
They do not want perspective or science.

They want only to lie and perpetrate a hoax.

If we would look at this objectively, yes the Earth is ~4.5 Billion years in age, but it was not always habitable since its formation.

Furthermore, we know for a fact, that the position of the Tectonic Plates in relation to one another impacts climate on Earth.

The formation of the Atlantic Ocean forever changed the climate on Earth. Should view from that point on, which would be from about 68 Million Years Ago?

No, because since then, the northern-most Plates of South America collided with the southern-most Plates of North America creating the Panamanian Isthmus, which forever changed the climate on Earth.

That was ~23 Million Years Ago. Should that be our starting point?

No, because since then, the entire Antarctic Continent has moved to be encompassed by the Antarctic Circle.

That, forever changed the climate on Earth.

The continual expansion of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge will widen the Atlantic Ocean forever changing the climate at some point in the Future, just as the Antarctic Continent moving out of the Antarctic Circle will change the climate.

We can see the effects of the Antarctic Continent here on this graph....

I'm presenting the Truth the Global Warming Liars do everything in their power to hide from you.

Notice how this present Inter-Glacial Period is colder than all of the prior Inter-Glacial Periods.

That is reflected more accurately here....

See what a bunch of liars they are?

And not one of them has the guts to address it.

Not a one.

Assuming the average global temperature increases 10.6°F......

.....then...

...the only truthful statement that can be made is that the average global temperature equals the average global temperature of the previous Inter-Glacial Period that took place 120,000 Years Ago.

The entire thing is classic Göbbels.

Shifting from Global Warming to Climate Change.

Creation of the "Heat Index": It's 72°F out folks, but it feels like 96°F. That is "power of suggestion."

Cherry-picked data, suppressed evidence, etc etc etc.....it's all text-book Göbbels.

And it's classic Bureaucracy, too.

Bureaucracies are loathe to admit they were wrong. They will drag out something -- some policy, program or claim -- until the bitter end or until they can find an "honorable" way out (with a scape-goat). In the meantime, precious time, money and effort are totally wasted.

The NSA ought to be spying on them, instead of on Americans or Merkel or Germans.

Statistically...

Mircea

Old 10-15-2014, 12:40 PM

14,366 posts, read 9,742,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
As though there was not enough evidence of global warming, the National Academy of Sciences came out with a study that sea levels are the highest in 6,000 years and that the rise began about 150 years ago when humanity started pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Really, how much evidence does one need to accept global warming as a fact that it is. The following article is from USA Today. I have put in bold the more salient points of the article.

I thought "Global Warming" was a kill phrase. Aren't you supposed to be saying "Climate Change" so the meme won't die?

Yes, climate change exists. Mars, and the other planets have also been heating up. That should be a clue as to what is causing the majority of heating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
OMFG! We have been coming out of an ice age for the last 7000 years and sea levels being the highest in the last 6000 years is news to you people?!?!?

How's this: This is the dumbest revelation EVER on CD
They care little about the facts. These are the same people who cheer Obama for cutting his deficits (percentage-wise), even though the reality is that Obama started by giving us the highest deficits in history. They turn to percentages, when hard numbers contradict them.

Cleopatra's palace, Canopus and Heracleion have been under water for more than a thousand years, not just 150 years.

http://listverse.com/2013/08/05/10-l...rwater-cities/

This thread is based on BS!

Last edited by steven_h; 10-15-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 05:34 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,638,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The low-lying islands of Kiribati, just a few feet above sea level, are on the front lines of climate change.

The government of Kiribati says the intrusion of salt water caused by rising sea levels has contaminated fresh water supplies and crop soil, and President Anote Tong has predicted that his country will become uninhabitable in 30 to 60 years. According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, all the residents of Kiribati, along with other low-lying island states such as the Maldives and Tuvalu, could be forced to flee as a result of climate change. “Entire populations could thus become stateless,” the agency wrote.

Like its Pacific island neighbor Kiribati, Fiji is seeing the effects of the encroaching ocean, and the government has begun relocating residents from the archipelago’s outer islands and low-lying coastal areas to the larger mainland.

The San Blas archipelago, a chain of more than 350 white-sand islands sprinkled across the Caribbean coast of Panama, has been home to the indigenous Kuna people for thousands of years. Now, rising sea levels and higher storm surges are flooding their villages.

Another study found that just a 1.5-foot rise in sea level would expose about $6 trillion worth of property to coastal flooding in the Baltimore, Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Providence, R.I., areas. That raises huge questions about the fate of Boston Harbor, where developers have poured millions into construction projects. Planners are steeling for a future in which storm surges flood huge swaths of Boston.

Miami, one of the nation’s most populous cities, is built atop a porous limestone foundation on the South Florida coast, making it extremely vulnerable to rising sea levels.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...sing-seas.html
Kinda makes you wonder why so many stupid people put money into areas that are at risk. I guess many of them don't think it will be a problem in their lifetime.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,357,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Kinda makes you wonder why so many stupid people put money into areas that are at risk. I guess many of them don't think it will be a problem in their lifetime.
When I bought my property and built my home, I did so with the idea that a large earthquake and a tsunami was a distinct possibility in my lifetime. Therefore, I made certain that my property was at least five miles from the coast, and above at least 250 feet in elevation.

I was also concerned about possible flooding during Spring break-up, so I made certain that my property is more than a mile away from any creek, stream, or river.

Lastly, living in a forest I was naturally concerned about the possibility of fire. So I made sure that my property was located near (within a mile) of a fire station. In addition, of course, to maintaining fire insurance.

Of all the concerns that I had regarding my investment, climate change was not among them.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:46 PM

312 posts, read 492,238 times
Considering the earth is only 6,000 years old that would be since the beginning of time.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The earth is 4.5 Billion years old, which means that 6,000 years is less than a microsecond on the cosmic timeline. Statistically, it's not enough time to make any prediction whatsoever, much less a doom and gloom prediction about climate change.

The only way that you could give this study any credence whatsoever is if you bought into the Young Earth theory which claims that the earth is only 6,000 years old to begin with. Otherwise, if you believe that this study means anything whatsoever then you have zero knowledge of how science and statistics work.
There are way too many folks posting on this thread that have not read the report....The report DOES NOT say that sea level is higher 6,000 years ago than it is now....What it says is that the RATE of sea level rise is higher than it has been for 6,000 years.

Quote:
Melting polar and glacial ice and thermally expanding ocean water have accelerated sea level rise to the highest rate in at least 6,000 years according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Using data from ancient sediment samples from around Asia and Australia, researchers looked back at 35,000 years of sea level history, finding that over the last 6,000 years little changed — until 150 years ago.
Using indicators of the era’s sea level, like location of ancient tree roots and mollusks, the scientists’ reconstruction found no evidence that sea levels fluctuated by more than about eight inches during the relatively stable period that lasted between 6,000 and about 150 years ago. Then, since the onset of the industrial revolution, sea levels have already risen by about that same amount.
Sea level and global ice volumes from the Last Glacial Maximum to the Holocene

The last time the sea level was this high was around 120,000 years ago. http://www.cmar.csiro.au/sealevel/images/fig_hist_1.jpg

Old 10-15-2014, 07:27 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,623,653 times
How do the scientists know that the rising ocean water levels aren’t a result of planetary tectonic plate shifting and land mass sinking slowly beneath the waves? The earth is a flexible not perfectly spherically shaped object constantly subject to change without notice.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,656,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
As though there was not enough evidence of global warming, the National Academy of Sciences came out with a study that sea levels are the highest in 6,000 years and that the rise began about 150 years ago when humanity started pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Really, how much evidence does one need to accept global warming as a fact that it is. The following article is from USA Today. I have put in bold the more salient points of the article.

Study: Recent sea level rise is highest in 6,000 years
gee, the sea level is rising, and we are only 15,000 years out of the last ice age where super massive glaciers had just started melting, do you think that possibly that might have an effect on sea level rise?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
How do the scientists know that the rising ocean water levels aren’t a result of planetary tectonic plate shifting and land mass sinking slowly beneath the waves? The earth is a flexible not perfectly spherically shaped object constantly subject to change without notice.
This is one of the reasons they know...They can see it happening. James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss | Talk Video | TED.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies