Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Total liberal BS.
I see "disenfranchised minorities and low income" folks producing ID's to purchase tobacco and liquor all the time. An ID is also required in most states, if not all of them, when applying for welfare subsidies. If liquor stores, bars, and welfare offices require ID, it should be required at the voting booth.
Irrelevant. Voting is a constitutional right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not require an ID to vote. If people don't need an ID to vote, then I shouldn't need an ID to enter a public building, fly, drive, drink or do anything else.
None of those are rights. You are in error.

I have never shown a photo ID to vote. Ever. In my life. Where is the voter fraud??!?!?!?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:11 PM

794 posts, read 818,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Lol, and there it is.

No shame, huh? (see post #10)

Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not require an ID to vote. If people don't need an ID to vote, then I shouldn't need an ID to enter a public building, fly, drive, drink or do anything else.
It is, in essence, a poll tax.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 PM

794 posts, read 818,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
In essence, no, it's not.

Until the day comes where typical American life in the modern era does not require ID to function, it's not a poll tax but a standard of American life. If you need to "subsidize" yet another "entitlement", then subsidize "free" ID for those who just can't seem to get one. But DO require ID to vote.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
It won't protect against voter fraud. All it does is disenfranchise minorities and low income residents. The GOP will win more seats, and continue to gerrymander more districts.
And there it is. The cries that minorities can't do as everyone else. Then say they aren't being treated equal. Of course you aren't, minorities want speeecial treatment but that's not fair to others.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:

None of those are rights. You are in error.

I have never shown a photo ID to vote. Ever. In my life. Where is the voter fraud??!?!?!?!?!
Quote:
I have a right to access a public courthouse but I need to show ID. I have a right to bear arms, but I need to show ID plus do a million other things.

How is an ID a poll tax? No one charges you to vote. Plus, I'm sure there are programs to get a free ID in most states. I think you can get an ID in nj for 5 dollars.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:21 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
What could possibly be confusing about my post? The people of TX support a voter ID law and it will be in place in a couple weeks.
He/She means that this isn't the final say at the court is only reinstating it for this election until they can take the case up. It's to close to the election for them to change the election procedures basically.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

So is owning a gun. Tell me you don't need an ID to buy a new gun.

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Geeze, they can't pay federal tax and then they say they can't pay for an ID but sure as hell can pay for drugs and booze. Then have the nerve to scream that other people aren't paying their fair share.

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
I have a right to access a public courthouse but I need to show ID. I have a right to bear arms, but I need to show ID plus do a million other things.

How is an ID a poll tax? No one charges you to vote. Plus, I'm sure there are programs to get a free ID in most states. I think you can get an ID in nj for 5 dollars.
There aren't actually. In most states you have to pay the full fee. Which is find in some states where it's nearly nothing, not so much in MD where it's 70 dollars :-P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies