Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Voter turnout has been up in Texas, since Voter ID was instated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So is owning a gun. Tell me you don't need an ID to buy a new gun.
Not if you use craigslist

Old 10-14-2014, 10:24 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
There aren't actually. In most states you have to pay the full fee. Which is find in some states where it's nearly nothing, not so much in MD where it's 70 dollars :-P.
Complaining about $70? How about paying taxes and the $70 instead of milking the tax payer. They didn't even contribute to paying for the roads and bridges to get to the poll booth so they should stay off the roads the rest of us pay for.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:28 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
In essence, no, it's not.

Until the day comes where typical American life in the modern era does not require ID to function, it's not a poll tax but a standard of American life. If you need to "subsidize" yet another "entitlement", then subsidize "free" ID for those who just can't seem to get one. But DO require ID to vote.
As long as everyone has easy access to getting that ID and it is free to those that don't have the money to purchase it. Otherwise its a scam to make money while restricting voting (the same as poll tax).

It sounds like Texas has voting scandal problems throughout the entire state. Have any of those been publicized yet?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
There aren't actually. In most states you have to pay the full fee. Which is find in some states where it's nearly nothing, not so much in MD where it's 70 dollars :-P.
A MD ID is 15 dollars and free for seniors:

How to Apply for a Maryland Identification Card | MVA

Plus, the poll tax thing was created before public assistance money was provided. I'm not sure how relevant it is today.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 PM

277 posts, read 327,676 times
Where I lived in Boston had any number of people who lived there once upon a time and were long gone.

It got to the point where I was one of the only people left in the building.

When I went to vote the man behind the desk would ask me my address, he'd look it up and then say " are you John Smith, Harrold Wisenhiemer, Murray Wippleworth - " and so on until he hit my name. There were at least four or five men still on the damned voting rolls and three of them were dead. The other one was in Philadelphia.

The people behind the desk would get outright huffy if I tried showing my ID.

------------

In this country you need an ID to do just about anything that requires a little responsibility, voting should be included in that list.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Complaining about $70? How about paying taxes and the $70 instead of milking the tax payer. They didn't even contribute to paying for the roads and bridges to get to the poll booth so they should stay off the roads the rest of us pay for.
I guess you have a very poor understanding of taxes if you think that . Why don't you calculate up every tax and fee you pay your state through the year and get back to me ?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
A MD ID is 15 dollars and free for seniors:

How to Apply for a Maryland Identification Card | MVA

Plus, the poll tax thing was created before public assistance money was provided. I'm not sure how relevant it is today.
Oh for gods sakes are you kidding me? Then why are the frigging licenses 70? I hate this state.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
As long as everyone has easy access to getting that ID and it is free to those that don't have the money to purchase it. Otherwise its a scam to make money while restricting voting (the same as poll tax).

It sounds like Texas has voting scandal problems throughout the entire state. Have any of those been publicized yet?
The majority of people want voter ID. It's only people who want special privileges, claiming it's toooo hard. Then want to be treated as equals. Whiners.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 PM

794 posts, read 818,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post

Well, to be accurate - everyone does have access.

And no, requiring ID is not a "scam" if a person cannot afford it, it is what it is - a requirement. Not being able to afford something does not render something a scam. And honestly now, who in reality functions in American society without ID? If a person is cognizant enough to vote, are they not cognizant enough to obtain ID? This argument makes no sense when applying reality. It's just another attempt by the left to pander "votes".

Get an ID if you want to vote. It's not a high bar to overcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies