Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Dr Brantly, the first Ebola patient, diagnosed in Africa and transferred to the U.S. for treatment and now cured, disclosed he worked in an ER and encountered all levels of symptomatic patients. And he did so without wearing protective gear.

Some of these doctors are working in remote locations with make shift pop up medical facilities without the benefit of consistent electrical power, plumbing or sanitation. Again, until 10/23 none of the more than 700 Doctors without Borders who have returned to their home countries developed Ebola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 07:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Nurse 1 and 2 and now this MD were all self monitoring which has worked out well. Thus far no one who had contact with either nurse has become infected. No reason to think someone who rode the subway with this MD before he became symptomatic will become infected.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how taking subways and a taxi and going bowling within 10 days of coming back from Africa treating ebola patients is "self-monitoring."

Even though he didn't have symptoms, as the smart and dedicated physician he is being made out to be he should have stayed completely away from public places for 21 days with the assumption that his final day in Africa could even slightly possibly have been his first day of contracting ebola. But assuming that that commonsense can and does fail, it would be nice if the CDC took the responsibility to professionally monitor anyone coming back here after treating or or handling ebola patients, for 21 days starting with the day of return.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Dr Brantly, the first Ebola patient, diagnosed in Africa and transferred to the U.S. for treatment and now cured, disclosed he worked in an ER and encountered all levels of symptomatic patients. And he did so without wearing protective gear.

Some of these doctors are working in remote locations with make shift pop up medical facilities without the benefit of consistent electrical power, plumbing or sanitation. Again, until 10/23 none of the more than 700 Doctors without Borders who have returned to their home countries developed Ebola.
You have to think, too, what bad luck! All the time he's over there, and evidently he got infected in the last day or two of his service.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, but...common sense. Common sense.

My gosh, if I'd been around an Ebola patient to the extent this doctor had been, do you think I'd be around ANYONE for 21 days? (Answer: No.) I'd just stick to my own apartment. I wouldn't sleep with my significant other, I wouldn't go socializing, and I SURE wouldn't even step outside the apartment if I had ANY symptoms of Ebola (malaise and fatigue are symptoms).
Another way of saying what I am [saying].

Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how taking subways and a taxi and going bowling within 10 days of coming back from Africa treating ebola patients is "self-monitoring."

Even though he didn't have symptoms, as the smart and dedicated physician he is being made out to be he should have stayed completely away from public places for 21 days with the assumption that his final day in Africa could even slightly possibly have been his first day of contracting ebola. But assuming that that commonsense can and does fail, it would be nice if the CDC took the responsibility to professionally monitor anyone coming back here after treating or or handling ebola patients, for 21 days starting with the day of return.
His self-monitoring worked. He was taking his temperature twice a day. When he developed a fever, he alerted authorities. Ebola is not the flu.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:

Gotta be a good lil hipster, lol. I hope he didn't recklessly expose anyone.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Can someone tell me why new protocols announced yesterday won't go into effect until Monday?

"All of this is happening as the U.S. says any travelers who come from Ebola stricken West African nation also now be monitored for three weeks. This is the latest move by the feds to try to keep our country safe and from this disease from spreading. These new measures will take effect Monday, in six states, including Pennsylvania. These passengers will now be receiving a kit when at the get back to the country. They'll have to hand over their contact information, take their temperatures, and of course, report those numbers back for analysis."

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/26872028/new-protocols

What? Is it "take off" friday for the feds? Does Ebola go on vacation over a weekend?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
His self-monitoring worked. He was taking his temperature twice a day. When he developed a fever, he alerted authorities. Ebola is not the flu.
The point is, when one returns from West Africa after directly treating ebola patients, symptomatic or not, a professional should have the common sense to remember the incubation period is 21 days and that it is possible that s/he may have been infected on one of the final days in Africa. His "temp" occurred within 10 days.

How many people in the subways and bowling alleys could have "come in contact"? Who knows? NYC is not the desert. This is reassuring: "We want to state at the outset that New Yorkers have no reason to be alarmed," de Blasio said. "New Yorkers who have not been exposed are not at all at risk." Thanks for clarifying that, Mr. Mayor.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:44 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, but...common sense. Common sense.

My gosh, if I'd been around an Ebola patient to the extent this doctor had been, do you think I'd be around ANYONE for 21 days? (Answer: No.) I'd just stick to my own apartment. I wouldn't sleep with my significant other, I wouldn't go socializing, and I SURE wouldn't even step outside the apartment if I had ANY symptoms of Ebola (malaise and fatigue are symptoms).

And yes, I know several doctors personally. They're just people. I have the same expectations of them that I'd have of anyone else.
Oh, I completely agree with you. I was responding to the comment that this guy felt under the weather and yet still ran several miles, went bowling, and kept his busy schedule. The poster said they were exhausted just typing the list of things the guy did. I was only pointing out how doctors are different kind of people - very driven, used to pushing themselves to the limit with hectic schedules and lack of sleep.

As for this guy not doing his self-imposed quarantine, I don't get it. Hopefully he did not have relations with his girlfriend. He was monitoring himself for symptoms. These guys are so convinced they're safe in their hazmat suits and protocol, and very much wedded to the idea that you can be around people and not be contagious until becoming symptomatic. That seems to be possible with the cases we've had so far in this country, but I'm not so sure that's true in Guinea. It's pretty bad there. That doctor could have followed the hazmat protocols to the letter and yet he still picked it up somehow. Maybe he picked it up from the normal everyday people he met there when he was not treating patients in his hazmat suit.

If I was him, I would have stayed away from public places at least. Imagine what's going to happen to that bowling alley's business?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
The point is, when one returns from West Africa after directly treating ebola patients, symptomatic or not, a professional should have the common sense to remember the incubation period is 21 days and that it is possible that s/he may have been infected on one of the final days in Africa. His "temp" occurred within 10 days.

How many people in the subways and bowling alleys could have "come in contact"? Who knows? NYC is not the desert. This is reassuring: "We want to state at the outset that New Yorkers have no reason to be alarmed," de Blasio said. "New Yorkers who have not been exposed are not at all at risk." Thanks for clarifying that, Mr. Mayor.
Why? If you are not symptomatic, you are not contagious. People who came into casual contact with him aren't at risk, because Ebola is NOT the flu. He wasn't drooling on people. Blood wasn't coming out of his orifices. Ebola is NOT the flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies