Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 08:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Baloney. For one thing the annoucement today was about returning health care workers. It gave up a little science for political reality. As for the protocols - since Dallas had no training and inadequate equipment Dallas is to blame. I understand the excuses, but it still was their failure that let two nurses become infected and probably killed the patient. Where CDC protocol was actually followed - in the other hospitals that treated ebola patients in the US there have been ZERO, let me repeat that ZERO, cases in health care workers. And, of course, all the patients so far have lived.
And I will repeat to you that those other hospitals in the US were aware that Ebola patients were going to be coming for treatment, at a specific time even. These patients were much less ill than Mr. Duncan as well. Apples to oranges, so to speak. Heck, I was in Omaha when the NBC cameraman was hospitalized there. It was known for days he'd be coming. It was all over the news: "An Ebola patient is coming, an Ebola patient is coming", not, "I wonder what this guy has? He says he's a local". About 400 health care workers in Africa have contracted Ebola, and half of those have died. But "the protocols work"!

ETA: The new protocols today were not just for returning health care workers. I provided the link. You might read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
This thread has so many responses that I have not read through all of them - I would need a faster internet connection! But I do have one question about the cost of Ebola: If we find any full blown cases in the general population; how much would it cost to treat the patient, disinfect, quarantine, and investigate? I know that the figure can be influenced by how many contacts the particular individual had before becoming disabled by the disease.

Years ago I worked on a spill team. Chemical spills could cost tens of thousand or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. My feeling is that infectious diseases/biological contaminates could dwarf chemical spills in the cost to contain. There is also a problem with false positives and individuals that have been exposed, but not infected, - that cost could possibly still be as high as actual cases of Ebola?

Old 10-28-2014, 04:55 AM

46,287 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
In the event that young soldiers who feel they are invincible do something stupid while they are in Africa.

To quell the hysteria in the US if it is not done.

Because it is easy to do. The military will have facilities available and the returning soldiers have to do what they are told to do.

They can continue training while they are in quarantine if entire units rotate back together.
And a civillian cannot feel they are invincible do something stupid while they are in Africa? LOL...less restriction, less rules and regulations to follow...

To quell the hysteria, Really? They are not there to treat people, they are there to build....

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Perhaps the military understands that 22 year old enlisted men, on R&R ,are not the best models for self monitoring and moderation.
And the NBC crew did a great job...right...

Quote:
In a deal with the CDC and the New Jersey Health Department, the NBC News crew agreed to stay home and take their temperatures for 21 days after one of their colleagues was diagnosed with the virus. At least one of the crew members broke that order, prompting health officials to make their confinement mandatory. The team was reporting on the Liberian Ebola outbreak when its cameraman fell ill.
Dr. Nancy Snyderman, Ebola-exposed NBC News crew violates self-quarantine, placed in mandatory isolation - NY Daily News

I did not know all military was 22? Being I am retired Army (2009) I have encountered many young Soldiers (to the Army) well over 30....yes I understand the majority are "kids" and some are completly stupid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Because the generals in the military typically have like 180 IQ and they're the ones making military policy on the ground.
That everyone seems to agree with, unless of course you are non-military and were over there.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:57 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
The Health care professionals are doing an excellent job, the politicians are doing their typical self-serving BS.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:23 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
We know how it spreads.
Blood and vomit....body fluids; eating the meat of an infected animal.

I'm just now posting in this really, really long thread. I did stop along the way and read a few posts which made me wonder, is it airborne? Seems there may be those that believe it is.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Then why is quarantining the right thing to do? You know, just to be on the safe side?
so you stop it from spreading.....

you quarantine people, to stop the thing from moving on to another...just in case the patient is sick with it....b/c the more it spreads, the more likely it is to mutate.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
fisheye This thread has so many responses that I have not read through all of them - I would need a faster internet connection! But I do have one question about the cost of Ebola: If we find any full blown cases in the general population; how much would it cost to treat the patient, disinfect, quarantine, and investigate? I know that the figure can be influenced by how many contacts the particular individual had before becoming disabled by the disease.
yes, very good point, I bought this up in several of my posts, however, they are in such a denial, it just refuses to penetrate.....

Quote:
Years ago I worked on a spill team. Chemical spills could cost tens of thousand or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. My feeling is that infectious diseases/biological contaminates could dwarf chemical spills in the cost to contain. There is also a problem with false positives and individuals that have been exposed, but not infected, - that cost could possibly still be as high as actual cases of Ebola?
but they honestly cannot absorb that concept....this generation is one of quick fixes, they are unable to look down the road and see what might or could happen. All they are able to view, is the now....nothing beyond, b/c this world has grown into one void of the effects tomorrow could bring....

But you always get reps from me.

Thank you

Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

you quarantine people, to stop the thing from moving on to another...just in case the patient is sick with it....b/c the more it spreads, the more likely it is to mutate.
It is spread through, Bats. Locking up people will not stop a mutation process.

Bats may be part of Ebola solution as well as source of outbreak: scientist

Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

You acknowledge you can't get it from subways and bowling balls. So how's it moving on to another?

How's that spreading thing working out so far?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Did NJ quarantine all MDs, nurses and healthcare workers who had contact with nurse Hickcox before she tested negative , twice?

Does NY quarantine the MDs, nurses and other healthcare workers who have been caring for the doctor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies