Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
If there is absolutely no risk until the explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting starts
Then again:

Christie's controversial Ebola quarantine now embraced by Nobel Prize-winning doctor | NJ.com

“It may not be absolutely true that those without symptoms can’t transmit the disease, because we don’t have the numbers to back that up,” said Beutler, “It could be people develop significant viremia [where viruses enter the bloodstream and gain access to the rest of the body], and become able to transmit the disease before they have a fever, even. People may have said that without symptoms you can’t transmit Ebola. I’m not sure about that being 100 percent true. There’s a lot of variation with viruses.” In fact, in a study published online in late September by the New England Journal of Medicine and backed by the World Health Organization, 3,343 confirmed and 667 probable cases of Ebola were analyzed, and nearly 13 percent of the time, those infected with Ebola exhibited no fever at all."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If it was that hard for everyone to contract, far more of Mr. Duncan's health care workers should have gotten Ebola as well.
How does this make sense?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How does this make sense?
You're right, it doesn't make sense! I believe what I meant to say is that if it were that easy to catch from touching your face, which is the proposed mechanism of exposure du jour, more of the health care workers should have gotten it, especially those in the ER where protective equipment was not being used, AFAIK.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Right. Ebola is Ebola. All this latest emphasis on "they touched their faces" is really rather humorous. It's supposed to be freaking hard to contract. A casual brush of one's hair back from the face with your fingers supposedly is causing this Ebola in health care workers who are otherwise protected. Yet their intimate household contacts aren't getting it. What gives?
It depends on the viral load. If a nurse has just changed the diapers of a person in the later stages of the infection, when the viral load is rampant, and touches her face with a glove with bodily fluids on it, even to brush her hair back, he or she may come close enough to her mouth, nose or eyes, to transmit the disease.

If you use the bathroom after an infected person who is in the early stages of the infection, the viral load may not be high enough to transmit viable virus on.

The science does indicate that the greater the viral load is on initial contact, the worse the infection will turn out to be. That's one of the reasons posited for the swift recoveries of Pham and Vinson, that the protection they did have minimized how much of the virus they contacted with. I believe scientists are studying Dr Spencer's case closely, because while we don't know yet how he contracted the virus, if his case is similar to Pham's and Vinson in terms of severity and length, then it may be that the promptness and quality of treatment are the determining factors regarding severity and length of infection.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 4,484 times
Quote:
It's apples and oranges when you compare military v civilian.
Quote:
Utterly inane response.
I agree that the apples and oranges analogy is a completely inane response.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
It depends on the viral load. If a nurse has just changed the diapers of a person in the later stages of the infection, when the viral load is rampant, and touches her face with a glove with bodily fluids on it, even to brush her hair back, he or she may come close enough to her mouth, nose or eyes, to transmit the disease.

If you use the bathroom after an infected person who is in the early stages of the infection, the viral load may not be high enough to transmit viable virus on.

The science does indicate that the greater the viral load is on initial contact, the worse the infection will turn out to be. That's one of the reasons posited for the swift recoveries of Pham and Vinson, that the protection they did have minimized how much of the virus they contacted with. I believe scientists are studying Dr Spencer's case closely, because while we don't know yet how he contracted the virus, if his case is similar to Pham's and Vinson in terms of severity and length, then it may be that the promptness and quality of treatment are the determining factors regarding severity and length of infection.
Read the CDC procedures....each layer is disinfected before removed.

The scenario you propose..touching her face with an Ebola virus laden glove means she didn't disinfect anything and used her gloved hands to remove the rest of her clothing.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/pro...s-for-ppe.html

Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:

What is your source for that? These are some factors Dr. Buetler is saying are not 100% known, and I agree with him. I gave some examples upthread (probably all ignored by the CDC apologists) of things I have had to unlearn in my nursing career.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You're right, it doesn't make sense! I believe what I meant to say is that if it were that easy to catch from touching your face, which is the proposed mechanism of exposure du jour, more of the health care workers should have gotten it, especially those in the ER where protective equipment was not being used, AFAIK.
Thank goodness! I thought I was totally missing something, because your posts are generally so cogent.
I think I answered your question in a later post. Transmission seems to be related to viral load, which makes sense. Duncan's infection arc was just a pit, with the viral load increasing day after day after day. And each subsequent contact with him would have entailed a greater risk. Texas Presbyterian really did get a raw deal in this, because the infection arcs with the people treated at Emory for example, would not have been the same. Their viral load would have peaked at some point, and then steadily declined, so that after the peak, subsequent contacts would not have entailed a greater risk. Duncan's immune system never did get the introduction of antibodies, and that seems to contain the viral load and hasten recovery, although with just a handful of patients, we can't make any conclusions yet on this.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,849,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Fox View Post
So our military is being quarantined for 21 days but she isn't. They never had close contact with affected people, but she did. And our military did not volunteer, as she did. And somehow she is a 'hero' after whining about being quarantine. And we are to believe that somehow medical workers know the exact minute that they turn infectious. Do walk around with a thermometer in the mouth?

Given she worked for the CDC, I think she has a political agenda. She is an absolute disgrace and I hope people everywhere shun her.
Last I checked Italy isn't one of the United States. I am pretty sure the US Military is there by invitation of the sovereign nation consequently, their desires need to be followed.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Last I checked Italy isn't one of the United States. I am pretty sure the US Military is there by invitation of the sovereign nation consequently, their desires need to be followed.
Italy is not happy with it. They don't want them there.
Uproar over US troops' Ebola quarantine in Italy - The Local

But, of note, it's actually Hagel who authorized quarantine for all US soldiers in Ebola affected regions.
Hagel orders quarantine for troops returning from West Africa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies