Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 01:53 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
[/b]

Now we have 24/7 cable news, politicians in need of face time, internet nor social media, fear mongering for political gain and profit.

Fear trumps science.

We'll never know if the nurse's reaction would have been different had NJ figured out a better way of achieving their objective other than humiliating her in a bubble on display for the world to see with "the best take- out Newark has to offer".
She said she was angry just getting her temperature taken at the airport. So yeah, she's a bit of a drama queen. I agree the tent was a horrible idea but come on, mad because they take your temperature? That's a bit much.

Her quote on the temperature thing "They were using a forehead scanner, and I was distressed and a little bit upset, and so my cheeks were flushed" Like I said, drama queen.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/health...ola/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 01:54 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
"Breaking: Ebola Nurse, Kaci Hickox, worked for the CDC"

Old 10-29-2014, 01:56 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
Looks like she's planning on breaking her quarantine today.

Nurse Kaci Hickox — who remains symptom-free after spending three days in a New Jersey isolation tent after flying home from Ebola-stricken West Africa — remains under quarantine at home in Maine, but for only another day, she tells TODAY's Matt Lauer.

Defiant Nurse Refusing To Observe Order...

Old 10-29-2014, 01:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I don't watch a lot of cable television news but do read a ton of news and, barring the nutter sites, the news has been pretty good about reporting the CDC's guidelines and recommendations. I personally wouldn't call my own position one of fear but then again, since you can't possibly know what I am thinking on any given day. I could see where you may believe that is the case even if it is not. So, I do not feel it's within my power to decide what our population is or is not thinking.

I do believe that New York and New Jersey took their position because of the manpower that was required to perform contact tracing for Dr. Spencer. That is not an insignificant thing. I know my own state, for example, has publicly stated it will not engage in any mandatory quarantine and that's the right call because we wouldn't be facing the same challenges as New York or New Jersey. Our biggest health risks in my state and local area are from incoming port ships and the incubation period for Ebola would flush out any cases well before they made it here.

I'm actually not an advocate of a nationwide quarantine policy for Ebola. I think each state has differing demographics and density issues that may or may not warrant a mandatory quarantine policy. That's something which can be prudent is they want to reduce risks because of their unique situations. I am an advocate of us suspending visas for non-essential travel reasons to and from the affected regions. This would not hinder aid workers but would help curb a Duncan type of case.

And also, it's a quarantine, a temporary condition, which is probably why courts have upheld them time and again when challenged.
As per usual, you and I are closer in our positions than one would think given our oppositional posts.

But I think that a three-week quarantine can have a profound impact on people and their lives. That impact has to be addressed by the states before they start imposing quarantines. And frankly, IMO, it's that reality that sparked Christie's decision to let the nurse go home to Maine. He didn't want the state of New Jersey to have such a liability, especially as a precedent, he'd rather pass it on to Maine.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
She said she was angry just getting her temperature taken at the airport. So yeah, she's a bit of a drama queen. I agree the tent was a horrible idea but come on, mad because they take your temperature? That's a bit much.
Where is her outrage about having her temp taking in Sierra Leone before she left ?

Does she think she's special or something ?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Apparently it's perfectly Hunky-Dory to force quarantine US Troops that have been sent to Ebola Lands.
It's not "humiliating and outright ludicrous' to quarantine them for 21 days on their return.

Funny how that works.
The point ( for me) was and remains how NJ choose to quarantine this nurse.

Are young soldiers on R&R the best models for self monitoring and moderation?
Are the soldiers being denied the opportunity to shower?
Do they not have a gym?
How come they are not being isolated from each other?
Are they living in bubbles on public display, 24/7?

Did NJ invoke a 21 day quarantine for all healthcare workers who came into contact with the nurse in a bubble? Have they been put into the bubble? If not, why not?

Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
As per usual, you and I are closer in our positions than one would think given our oppositional posts.

But I think that a three-week quarantine can have a profound impact on people and their lives. That impact has to be addressed by the states before they start imposing quarantines. And frankly, IMO, it's that reality that sparked Christie's decision to let the nurse go home to Maine. He didn't want the state of New Jersey to have such a liability, especially as a precedent, he'd rather pass it on to Maine.
Oh, I do think that if a state requires a quarantine, then yeah, they damn well better make sure that doesn't adversely impact that person's income, job, or livelihood. I agree with you on that.

I think Doctors Without Borders pays income for the incubation period to encourage their members to stay out of the public but I'm not 100% sure on that. However, state mandated quarantine? Then yeah, the state needs to pony up.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Where is her outrage about having her temp taking in Sierra Leone before she left ?

Does she think she's special or something ?
I think she had an agenda. That or she really is the biggest drama queen ever.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:03 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Oh man.... Obama is on the networks talking about Ebola. I am going to hit the transcript big time on this.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:04 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
[/b]

Now we have 24/7 cable news, politicians in need of face time, internet nor social media, fear mongering for political gain and profit.

Fear trumps science.

We'll never know if the nurse's reaction would have been different had NJ figured out a better way of achieving their objective other than humiliating her in a bubble on display for the world to see with "the best take- out Newark has to offer".
Nj traumatized her for life and ebola effluent in africa did not.

The fear stems frm the inaccurate information provided by the Obama administration.

The real fear is the political incompetence of the obama administration.

Obama is pretending to give the ISIS speech except he replaces ISIS with ebola.

Obama is pretending he is leading. oooh, oooh. Watch him play prez in the mirror in his room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies