Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 08:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Just a note on the bubble situation.

The hospital put her in isolation, not quarantine. That was a mistake. She does not need isolation if she is not sick, and I do not blame her for complaining about it. Quarantine she does need, and she should accept it and stop the ruckus.

By the way, isolation for Ebola means that all pee and poop are considered hazardous waste and are collected in bags, not flushed. That's the reason for the bedside toilet. Just so you know.
That was my earlier point but I think you said it a whole lot more eloquent than I did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh yeah, he's a US nutter. We have more than our share.

I do not know why that family did that and I still cannot understand why we're not limiting travel to essential personnel. It would at least keep the nutters away for the time being but allow aid workers to travel to and fro.
I don't think the US can easily stop people from leaving the country or entering another country. ( US people who desire to visit Cuba do so via Mexico or Canada. Cuba does not stamp passports, upon request. )

They are flying to Brussels, France and Morocco for connections.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don't think the US can easily stop people from leaving the country or entering another country. ( US people who desire to visit Cuba do so via Mexico or Canada. Cuba does not stamp passports, upon request. )

They are flying to Brussels, France and Morocco for connections.
True - we do a better job of control on the reentry point. However, it would discourage people if we did say that travel was restricted for all except essential personnel to those areas. If a nutter wanted bad enough to go, they could find a way. I am thinking more of the casual visitors would be discouraged.

I wish I could remember the percentage of current travelers to West Africa that are actually aid workers. I know I heard it in a press conference the other day with Frieden when he spoke about the new CDC guidelines but can't find a transcript. I do recall being surprised at the low number thinking it would be a large majority and it wasn't.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Yes, yesterday, Australia became the first developed country to ban new visas for nationals from the affected countries. It will honor all previously issued visas and screen them upon arrival. This iOS a different topic from quarantining healthcare workers returning from the affected areas.

There have been Ebola scares / pranks all over Europe.

My point was and remains that nowhere else will one find the media and politicians as obsessed with the topic and spreading misinformation as has happened in the US.
How do you know this? Have you been to some other countries since the Ebola outbreak in Africa? I don't get what you're basing this on. Your response to my post is basically "oh, but that's different."

Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

For all we know she could have had a paper cut on her finger and a pin prick in her glove.
The log does not indicate that Nurse Pham initially used any protective gear, more likely a failure to log than a failure to protect herself. It's nearly impossible to recreate the sequence of events, weeks later. They will likely never know.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:54 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
The Ebola bubble/ tent thing with a porta potty, was the humiliating and ludacrous part, considering she had no symptoms.

Future returnees from the affected area will likely choose to connect to a different US airport. Maybe this was a part of Christie's strategy.

I sincerely hope she chooses to stay home tomorrow.

Considering the fact that the NYC doc was asymptomatic for how many days after being "home" and until he developed the symptoms (and has Ebola), she should shut her mouth and come down off of her soap box.

I'd like to thank CC for trying to protect the citizens of NJ.

You don't get to be a bleeding heart and go all Dr/Nurses without borders and bring the junk you catch back to the US.

Doesn't matter if you are bleeding out of your eyes or asymptomatic - why don't you feel the need to protect others when you "come home"? Aren't you trying to protect "others" in that West African country you signed up to help the folks who live there from catching "it" (among other things) from their family members? Isn't that part of your job?

Your job ends when you're back in the states?

You can't show up for work sick and sneezing/coughing all over an immunocompromised patient , but go ahead and take care of people with Ebola and think you can get your butt hairs all twisted over being confined/quarantined/put in a "bubble" for 21 days.

They CHOSE that life/job/work...they are medical professionals. They should know better & what to expect.

What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander. Apparently.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Ms. Troh said Mr. Duncan was too proud to let her clean up after him when he was sick; he did it himself.

Mr. Duncan was shedding vastly more virus when the nurses took care of him.

The CDC never said Ebola is not spread by droplets. It is not airborne like measles, though.

The hazard is from droplets from someone who is sick and you have to be close enough for the droplets to land on you directly. They do not flow through the air. A sneeze from someone who is not sick enough to shed virus will not make someone else sick.

Once the virus is on the skin it can be transferred to the eyes or mouth. Male nurses shave. Anyone can get a scratch.
He was very sick those last few days at home. He couldn't have done a very thorough job. And really, I read that Duncan and his fiancée were sleeping in the same bed until his hospitalization. There was contact between the two of them. He was as sick at home as he was those first hours in the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And her "buddy" didn't say anything about her touching herself with ebola dripping gloves.
CDC guidelines..2 people with one watching the other disinfect and take off their contaminated clothing.

For all we know she could have had a paper cut on her finger and a pin prick in her glove.
Isn't that the purpose of double gloving?

Old 10-30-2014, 04:54 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Ms. Troh said Mr. Duncan was too proud to let her clean up after him when he was sick; he did it himself.

Mr. Duncan was shedding vastly more virus when the nurses took care of him.

The CDC never said Ebola is not spread by droplets. It is not airborne like measles, though.

The hazard is from droplets from someone who is sick and you have to be close enough for the droplets to land on you directly. They do not flow through the air. A sneeze from someone who is not sick enough to shed virus will not make someone else sick.

Once the virus is on the skin it can be transferred to the eyes or mouth. Male nurses shave. Anyone can get a scratch.
I heard on the news this morning, that the CDC now says you can catch ebola from the effected patient's sneeze? Oh, that's special.l...what have we all been saying about this?

Just b/c the CDC and the President gets up and says it's this or that, doesn't mean it's written in stone! We've had all these years, to study Ebola and make a vaccine for it, and yet, the CDC did nothing but keep viles of it, in Atlanta?

What a joke our country is....not to mention a whole lot of citizens....

Old 10-30-2014, 05:00 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Isn't that the purpose of double gloving?
Double gloves are not perfect. They are more to protect others or sterile products from human contamination. But our needles are very sharp and can easily perforate or tear both gloves.

I have one question about how this virus can spread. I know that we worry about direct contact with bodily fluids and fear getting droplets from any patient sneezing. However; have you ever experienced somebody accidently spitting in your face/eye during conversation? It doesn't happen too often; but some people just naturally propel saliva when they get carried away in animated conversation. I don't know what the threshold limits are to spreading the disease? I do know that some diseases cannot be spread until there is certain amount/levels of virus or bacteria present.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
You know that whining nurse up in Maine who says she feels fine?

Everybody who supposedly knows what they're talking about says you can't get Ebola unless the person you catch it from is symptomatic. Okay. Well, what if that NYC doctor, felt fine before he left his home but became symptomatic while he was at one of the bowling alleys? There's nothing about Ebola that says you only become symptomatic while you are in your home. So that nurse up in Maine, could her moment when she goes from not being symptomatic to being symptomatic happen, for example, at the supermarket? You know, non-symptomatic at 9:00A, symptomatic at 9:15A.

I think if she goes outside they should put her down with a tranquilizer dart ...and then bring her to the State Department for the rest of her 21 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies