Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I've seen a huge change in your demeanor since I said I would never change my mind about the head of the CDC, not that I want to bring that up again, and I will refuse to get caught up in a conversation about him. Period.

However, that's another logical fallacy. See "burden of proof" fallacy. Logical Fallacy Cheat Sheet | The Insignificant Nowhere I don't think they were keeping really good stats there in Africa, and there've only been the two cases acquired in the US.
I apologize if I've offended you. But I don't apologize for my arguments. You cannot cite one case. And you dismiss the "anecdotal" evidence, not because it is invalid, but because it doesn't suit you. There is no logical fallacy in my arguments. You call it fallacy because you are eager to dismiss it. But the WHO and the CDC's policies regarding contagion were formulated based on experience. Ebola has been around for a few decades. And this particular outbreak is almost a year old. No one wants to spread this virus, particularly the WHO and the CDC. You can distrust these organizations if you wish. But I see no reason to distrust them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 01:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I apologize if I've offended you. But I don't apologize for my arguments. You cannot cite one case. And you dismiss the "anecdotal" evidence, not because it is invalid, but because it doesn't suit you. There is no logical fallacy in my arguments. You call it fallacy because you are eager to dismiss it. But the WHO and the CDC's policies regarding contagion were formulated based on experience. Ebola has been around for a few decades. And this particular outbreak is almost a year old. No one wants to spread this virus, particularly the WHO and the CDC. You can distrust these organizations if you wish. But I see no reason to distrust them.
You are the one who keeps citing Duncan's household contacts, over and over, so you're right, "You cannot cite (just) one case". I am citing a case of one person whose Ebola test was negative, not once, but twice, when he apparently already had symptoms. I've worked in health care long enough to know that a negative lab test does not always mean the person does not have the condition being tested for. Pertussis, for example, often tests negative at the lab despite obvious positive symptoms. So I'm going some on my background as well as what we're hearing about this particular outbreak. I don't know what kind of contact tracing and testing is being done in Africa, to have some body of knowledge about other cases of this nature (false negative testing with symptoms, people getting Ebola from these people).

It's not the CDC per se I distrust, in fact, I don't distrust them at all. I do think they threw a few people under the bus.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-31-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 01:36 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Bravo to the Maine nurse. And the governor of Maine is a paranoid whacko. Maybe they should quarantine that nut job.
He is a paranoid whacko for asking her to voluntarily stay in or near her home for the remainder of the 21 day period?

Hardly. Most Americans agree with him. She's the nut job screaming for attention.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:40 PM

Default That's good to know: Nurse Look at Me! agrees to comply with the court's

latest order:

Judge eases limits on U.S. nurse who treated Ebola patients | Reuters

"Siegel said Hickox had readily agreed to the restrictions and would not seek to challenge them in court."

In other words, she agrees to abide by what she's been ordered to do. For now.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:51 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
latest order:

Judge eases limits on U.S. nurse who treated Ebola patients | Reuters

"Siegel said Hickox had readily agreed to the restrictions and would not seek to challenge them in court."

In other words, she agrees to abide by what she's been ordered to do. For now.
She has agreed to monitoring. The rest of it about going out in public, crowded places, keeping a distance from people was all thrown out by the judge. She can go wherever she wants and do whatever she wants. The cop guarding her house has been called off. She won. Science won. The position based on fear and politics that you have been arguing for lost.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
She has agreed to monitoring. The rest of it about going out in public, crowded places, keeping a distance from people was all thrown out by the judge. She can go wherever she wants and do whatever she wants. The cop guarding her house has been called off. She won. Science won. The position based on fear and politics that you have been arguing for lost.
She's been ordered to monitor. She hasn't agreed to anything. You don't agree to what the court orders.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:03 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
She's been ordered to monitor. She hasn't agreed to anything. You don't agree to what the court orders.
She got absolutely everything she wanted from the judge. She won without reservation. Maine and the science deniers lost. She has been monitoring since day one. She would be an idiot not to. She is free to leave her home and go anywhere she wants. She can even attend a Patriots game this weekend .

Old 10-31-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
She got absolutely everything she wanted from the judge. She won without reservation. Maine and the science deniers lost. She has been monitoring since day one. She would be an idiot not to. She is free to leave her home and go anywhere she wants. She can even attend a Patriots game this weekend .
Pretty arrogant to say you agree to monitor when you were ordered to do it and could be held in contempt if you don't. But then it's Nurse Look at Me!

It's like a father saying he agrees to pay child support when he has been ordered to pay it.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
From the Ebola thread on the Current Events forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I was the one who had first brought up the 13% by posting this ..
Ebola research: Fever not a surefire sign of infection - LA Times

IF people had bothered to read the full article then they would have seen what Dr. Zwinkels, and his staff, had dealt with when working with ebola patients that had no fever.

And then there is this ..
neo-neocon » Blog Archive » Dr. Rick Sacra to Megan Kelly: about those ebola patients without fevers
While reading what Dr. Sacra says, keep in mind that Dr. Sacra contracted ebola from a pregnant woman who had no temperature (though the pregnancy could have been why she showed no fever)

It does appear that a patient with no fever can be (and previously had been) contagious with ebola.
Some quoted material from that thread:

Quote:
Quote:
five nursing aides contracted Ebola — possibly from unprotected contact with three patients who were not promptly diagnosed with the virus. Four of the nursing aides died, as did all three of the patients belatedly found to have Ebola.
Quote:
hospital staff members took the temperature of one of the doomed patients four times a day for three consecutive days, and the patient never showed a fever.
Quote:
Based on what his staff observed, Zwinkels wrote, "it seems that only measuring the temperature as a form of triage is insufficient."
He added: "It seems that Ebola can present without fever especially in the first phase."
Zwinkels said that without fever as a trustworthy marker, it is difficult for medical professionals to treat the many West Africans suffering from everyday maladies.
And then there is this ..
neo-neocon » Blog Archive » Dr. Rick Sacra to Megan Kelly: about those ebola patients without fevers
While reading what Dr. Sacra says, keep in mind that Dr. Sacra contracted ebola from a pregnant woman who had no temperature (though the pregnancy could have been why she showed no fever)

Quote:
Sacra, a family physician from Worcester, Massachusetts, wasn’t treating Ebola patients when he got infected. He was helping pregnant women. Like Writebol and Brantly before him, when a fever came on, he desperately hoped it was malaria and not Ebola.
Quote:
Dr. Sacra’s story would appear to be evidence that ebola isn’t necessarily easy to diagnose or recognize even in contagious stages, and that symptoms do not always point so clearly to the disease....In terms of judgment, denial, and quarantines—it’s fascinating that Sacra, Brantly, and Writebol all thought and hoped they had malaria
It does appear that a patient with no fever can be (and previously had been) contagious with ebola.
The second link to the blog site is very interesting. So there apparently HAVE been incidents in Africa of people contracting Ebola from afebrile patients.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:10 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
The position based on fear and politics that you have been arguing for lost.
Actually, quite the contrary. As long as a political party appoints a judge, I believe there will always be an element of politics made in any decision made. For those who think differently that justice is blind/politics don't have a role in their decisions, I heard there some great ocean front property in Iowa just for them.

Look at the Supreme Court. Why do we have "conservative" judges? Why do we have "liberal" judges? Why do we have "moderate" judges? And why do we have politicians appointing them? Seems like the job of a judge should be to follow the rule of the law, not mix their ideology of "conservative" or "liberal" ideals? And furthermore, I feel judges shouldn't be appointed by either party.

Which brings us back to the Judge ruling in the Ebola decision. We have a Republican Governor. And the judge, based on my research, served as a Democrat.

Maine House of Representatives: Charles C. LaVerdiere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies